huge FPS drops when lots of effects are present in WoW

D1craig

Enthusiast
as title really. what do you think is my problem? my spec is in my signature.

reading up on it and people are saying its my cpu... i thought my cpu would kick ass on such a game lol.

while playing the game (not real time observations but afterwards i went a checked) my gpu goes to about 50-65% useage and my cpu goes to 100% on 2 cores and 97% on the other 2.

would an i5 4690 perform better than my i7 2600? in future if most of my gaming is mmo (mainly wow type of games) would i be better getting a i5 4690 or an i7 4790?

im not daft, it is obvious that wow is using my cpu more than my gpu but like i said i thought i was well above wows needs :(

T

TheGeeza

The 2600 shouldn't have any problem with WoW.
Have you tried a virus scan?

D1craig

Enthusiast
yea i do them all the time, never had one virus lol. had one malware though but nothing anymore

i do iObit asc scan and malware bytes scan and also avg scan.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
WoW has never been known to be a particularly stressful game, especially not on a high end system like yours. I would recommend a virus scan as suggested above and try and get a look at task manager whilst playing and see if there are any other programs hogging the CPU, there may be some strangely demanding background services.

D1craig

Enthusiast

this is my task manager, just done a pretty intense raid and it was dropping down to the other side of 30. when i noticed the problem before i didnt have any chromes open or avg.

dont know why there are 2 wow's there. ill close them and see if it opens 2 again.

D1craig

Enthusiast
hmm. i still get this problem. i have dropped my multisampling down to x2 and turned particle density down also. not huge enough to make me feel like im lagging but my FPS drops from 60 to 15-30. i did think my computer would absolutely destroy wow lol. not looking forward to my systems handling of it when it has the new textures and stuff in november.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
hmm. i still get this problem. i have dropped my multisampling down to x2 and turned particle density down also. not huge enough to make me feel like im lagging but my FPS drops from 60 to 15-30. i did think my computer would absolutely destroy wow lol. not looking forward to my systems handling of it when it has the new textures and stuff in november.

Just a guess here, but if you keep taskmgr running in the background on the disk monitor graph, look for spikes when you get an fps drop. My thinking is are you running IOBit ASC and AVG concurrently?

D1craig

Enthusiast
Just a guess here, but if you keep taskmgr running in the background on the disk monitor graph, look for spikes when you get an fps drop. My thinking is are you running IOBit ASC and AVG concurrently?

you could possibly be right. i do tend to turn ASC off soon as ive done a check but avg cant be "exited". you can disable it but it stays on the taskbar.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
you could possibly be right. i do tend to turn ASC off soon as ive done a check but avg cant be "exited". you can disable it but it stays on the taskbar.

Is ASC running as a task in task manager generally? If you're turning it off, then probably not. My train of thought was if they were both real-time scanning then they may conflict and cause read locks on the disk.

Also, your os drive isn't listed in your sig, just wondering what it was?

Last edited:

D1craig

Enthusiast
what is my os drive?

you mean like ntfs? i dont know i picked the obvious one when formatting. cant rember what one it was.

Last edited:

D1craig

Enthusiast
how do i use this file "P8Z68-V-LX-ASUS-4105.ROM"? i am doing some driver updates and stuff for my mobo hoping they could help with this issue.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
how do i use this file "P8Z68-V-LX-ASUS-4105.ROM"? i am doing some driver updates and stuff for my mobo hoping they could help with this issue.

A rom file is usually a bios update. I wouldn't bother too much about the bios for this issue.

Regarding your os drive, I meant what make and model is it?

D1craig

Enthusiast
So I have been looking on the "google" for this issue and it seems many people are having it.

I think I have found something that sounds promising:-
https://forums.geforce.com/default/.../gtx-770-stuttering-issues-underperforming/2/

The basics of it are - the nvidia audio is interfering with the Realtek audio and causing the problem.

So I am in work until 6/7 pm. I will be trying this when I get home and report back.

Does anyone think this is stupid and pointless or does it make sense?

Also read that you should turn msi after burner off and turn startup with windows off when updating drivers. I've never done this so could possibly be that?

D1craig

Enthusiast
so if im using a wireless headset that is plugged into a USB slot what is this using to create sounds? i cant think that it would be the GPU as its gota go past the mobo to get to it, so therefore with my assumptions it would have to be using the mob to make sounds.

i have removed the realtek hd audio drivers and found nvidia hd audio drivers and also removed them.

it has to be the realtek high def audio drivers that i need to reinstall doesn't it? that post on geforce forums is very vague but if you understand it it can definitely help.

EDIT - so i got rid of the nvidia audio drivers and kept them gone (lol) updated the realtek drivers and now my problem seems to be gone :)

i havent done proper testing but my fps while in a busy city isnt fluctuating like it was so im hopeful that this is the way its going to stay :) so made up now

EDIT - so done a LFR (25man raid for non guild hardcore guild members) which is where i discovered this problem. my FPS didn't dip below 45 it was as intense as it gets :)

Last edited:

Androcles

Rising Star
EDIT - so done a LFR (25man raid for non guild hardcore guild members) which is where i discovered this problem. my FPS didn't dip below 45 it was as intense as it gets :)

Glad you got it sorted, it's a pain when something conflicts in a PC. However, only 45fps? My machines quite a bit lower spec than yours (except the memory) being an i5 and having an old AMD6770 1gb card and I'm having to use V-sync in wow because my fps is in the hundreds (even in dungeons) and my monitor can't handle it lol

D1craig

Enthusiast
Glad you got it sorted, it's a pain when something conflicts in a PC. However, only 45fps? My machines quite a bit lower spec than yours (except the memory) being an i5 and having an old AMD6770 1gb card and I'm having to use V-sync in wow because my fps is in the hundreds (even in dungeons) and my monitor can't handle it lol

Yes it drops to 45 with 25 ppl using many spell effects. I do get over 100fps when in relaxed situations. I left gsync off to see how far my FPs would go. All my settings are fully turned up.

Tbf when I bought the gtx 770 I thought most games I play would be like playing them on a new TV that is full HD compared to what I had but it doesn't seem that different. My 7850 could pull it off with only 1-4 setting turned down slightly.