I Miss Light Gun Games!

Were light gun games awesome or not and should they come back?

• Oh yes!

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No, I’m a fun hating robot.

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Just saw a clip of some random 90s TV show and a kid was playing Point Blank on his PlayStation. I LOVED that game. And Time Crisis.

These days you’ve got to go the arcade to scratch that itch, they fell out of favour quicker than Guitar Hero... and I suppose it was technically easier to do on CRT televisions.

(I never got to have a go on the Nintendo Super Scope, can’t comment on that one)

Anyone else yearn for return of a good home based light gun game?

Sub question: Are there any other gaming peripherals you miss?

Gavras

Master Poster
I voted Yes but slight caveat.

does not compare to synthetic small arms trainer (DCCT) and I (usually / used to) get out shooting most weekends and occasional FCSA.

steaky360

I see your question and raise you the Sinden Lightgun.

When I eventually get an arcade cabinet for my bar, I'm absolutely getting a pair of these to go with it.

As for other peripherals, its not really the same thing I guess (because similar items do kinda still exist) but does anyone remember Steel Battalion for the Xbox?

N2Y0NTdlZmFiMmY5OTk1ODZiOTlmZGMxZjRlMDMwYzXl14G9X5iHhqKgk7wNsxe3aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMmNlY2Q1NDJlNTFlMzIyY2U0Y2YyYzljZWE5OTUyZWMxYTI0MmM3NjJjNGY4MzA0YzYxMmE2ZTEwZTRlODQzZi5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

I've still got one of those controllers, sadly no Xbox to play it on though :(

I voted Yes but slight caveat.

does not compare to synthetic small arms trainer (DCCT) and I (usually / used to) get out shooting most weekends and occasional FCSA.
I have no idea what most of that means 🤣. Figure its military style training? If so, kinda not really the same thing?

Last edited:

steaky360

@steaky360 - Thank you for alerting me to the Sinden light gun! This is definitely going on my 'want' list.

And yeah, Steel Battalion! Never saw one of those kits in real life, looks incredibly complicated.
There was a full on 'sequence' you had to follow through (involving pressing several buttons and flipping switches) everytime you started a level to 'turn on' your mech. It was awesome.

Also there is an eject button, protected by a little cover. If you didn't eject, and died, you lost your save.

It was an awesome game. ITs kinda a shame that the kinect game didn't allow you to use the controlled... and sucked (in my opinion) because of that.

Gavras

Master Poster
I see your question and raise you the Sinden Lightgun.

When I eventually get an arcade cabinet for my bar, I'm absolutely getting a pair of these to go with it.

As for other peripherals, its not really the same thing I guess (because similar items do kinda still exist) but does anyone remember Steel Battalion for the Xbox?

N2Y0NTdlZmFiMmY5OTk1ODZiOTlmZGMxZjRlMDMwYzXl14G9X5iHhqKgk7wNsxe3aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMmNlY2Q1NDJlNTFlMzIyY2U0Y2YyYzljZWE5OTUyZWMxYTI0MmM3NjJjNGY4MzA0YzYxMmE2ZTEwZTRlODQzZi5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

I've still got one of those controllers, sadly no Xbox to play it on though :(

I have no idea what most of that means 🤣. Figure its military style training? If so, kinda not really the same thing?
I raise your Sinden Lightgun with the Smokeless Simulation Range.

go to 3 min on YouTube.

available in UK.

HUGE caveat, being seen with a 9mm pistol in the UK shooting stuff in your house, man cave etc will likely have an armed response unit round quite quickly lol.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

go to 3 min on YouTube.

available in UK.

HUGE caveat, being seen with a 9mm pistol in the UK shooting stuff in your house, man cave etc will likely have an armed response unit round quite quickly lol.
That looks fun..........but £599😲

steaky360

go to 3 min on YouTube.

available in UK.

HUGE caveat, being seen with a 9mm pistol in the
That looks class! Does it work with a Duck Hunt emulation though? If it doesn't its no good :) - doesn't matter if its got its own top flight simulations ... duck hunt is the GOAT ;)

That looks class! Does it work with a Duck Hunt emulation though? If it doesn't its no good :) - doesn't matter if its got its own top flight simulations ... duck hunt is the GOAT ;)
I loved the extra game with the discs on duck hunt the sound of them flying through the air !

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As much as there could definitely be a tactile addition, I think VR has surpassed the need for those games/peripherals.

1st person shooters in VR are like Time Crisis on steroids.

There's even a duck hunt VR game with a pump action shotgun :D

As much as there could definitely be a tactile addition, I think VR has surpassed the need for those games/peripherals.

1st person shooters in VR are like Time Crisis on steroids.

There's even a duck hunt VR game with a pump action shotgun :D
Dunno love my retro gaming and vr makes me feel like a combination of seasick and a hangover after a hour :( which is sad because its pritty cool

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Dunno love my retro gaming and vr makes me feel like a combination of seasick and a hangover after a hour :( which is sad because its pritty cool

I'm one of the fortunate souls that doesn't suffer such consequence, thankfully.

First time I proper played Arizona Sunshine I went in for a wee hour, took off the headset wondering why it was pitch black. I had been jumping about my livingroom shooting zombies for 4 hours, skipped dinner and had god knows how many neighbourino's wondering what the crackpot was up to while peering through my window.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Time Crisis 2 was my absolute favourite. I played that game so much I could beat it without getting hit, remember doing it in the arcade after playing the heck out of it in the house and that's when I learned high scores didn't carry over when they turned the machine off

Last edited by a moderator:

robin h 25

This was the first light gun game i'd played as a kid...
Operation Wolf.jpg

I couldn't get enough of it until Time Crisis series came along.

The House of the Dead was another that I somewhat remember.