I need a decent desk! Help!

TomBerry

Bright Spark
So right now I have a really awkward, complicated corner desk with weird levels on it to have keyboards, my mouse and monitors etc. I'm looking for just a simple desk like the one attached but this seems to just be a normal wooden table...is there a specific desk most people use as I feel like ordering a wooden table is a bit basic lmao

Also, could you provide me with somewhere I can maybe buy them, or just what to search to look for these?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    303.5 KB · Views: 268

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I usually get ikea, this one or the Micke are superb value:

TomBerry

Bright Spark
I usually get ikea, this one or the Micke are superb value:

I'm thinking more like this, I'm not too sure how high 75cm is though as I'm at work right now so I don't have a tape measure, would you say this is suitable?

Charlas

Enthusiast
I've got the black IKEA dekant, with legs one side and draws the other. works a treat. Have a smaller side desk to the right with my TV on it that I use to test on, game, background TV. Well worth it. Just remember to get a descent chair, I got an IKEA one too, wasn't Brill so got a secret lab one.

Oh one thing to note, get a desk cover for it, the black scratches pretty easy.

Last edited:

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Sorry for bumping this thread, although i’m still on the look out. Went to purchase the desk below which is £35, then it would cost me a total of £74 to have it delivered which I really don’t want to do...if I went to pick this up it would be over an hour’s drive to my local Ikea. I want the desk to be 150x75cm (or close enough) and to just be plain - no bulkiness just the legs and a flat top.

I’ve tried Ikea and Amazon, although Amazon seems to boost the price compared to Ikea when I just want something simple. Any other ideas of where to find a cheap desk like this that doesn’t have extortionate delivery costs?

Gavras

Master Poster
Have you thought about building your own?

Ignoring the drawer side of things, a desk is the simplest bit of wood work going.

it also has the advantage of fitting exactly where you want it.

TomBerry

Bright Spark
£74 for a desk that size is quite cheap (technically that desk is actually a table but am just nit-picking ;)) . I recently bought a 160cm x60cm x 75cm size desk and it cost me nearer £250. When doing research back in February, cheapest decent one was around £150
Only problem with the desk being so cheap is it’s not made from strong wood, more like just compressed cardboard in the middle :( Might just have to go for a more expensive desk (or table😂) that I know is made from good material and won’t snap if I apply some pressure to it.

Or alternatively...could make my own as Gavras suggested but me and woodcraft don’t go well together!

TomBerry

Bright Spark
I have something like this at the moment, can’t figure out the exact name of mine. As you can probably tell it’s not the spaceous of desks, which is why I just want a big open desk

My two monitors are on the top part in a V shape, just so I can fit my tower on it

Attachments

• 4C9C7119-E085-4BD2-B452-F97E9FEE3C4F.jpeg
    4C9C7119-E085-4BD2-B452-F97E9FEE3C4F.jpeg
    731.1 KB · Views: 189

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Quick update now! I've finally gone to Ikea and purchased the 200x60cm desk, and I'm absolutely in love! Here is the final finish, I'll post a before photo and after photo!

Please ignore the messy cables you can kind of see now, getting some cable management stuff tomorrow (probably just zip ties) but this was the best £44.00 spent on a desk!

Attachments

• Desk1.jpg
    Desk1.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 282
  • Desk2.jpg
    Desk2.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 275
  • Desk3.jpg
    Desk3.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 270

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Depending on how much cable length you’ve got, you might be able to mount the extension to the underside of the back of the desk and then zip tie them all up there out of sight. Then you’d just have the single cable at ground level... and you could run that up the back of one of the desk legs.

Last edited: