I need Advice for buying a mini PC

padisar1990

I need to buy a mini PC as I don't have space for a normal size case. I need it for 3D modelling and Architecture software like 3Ds Max, Revit, AutoCAD and do lots of real-time rendering and renders. I also need to run an engineering simulation using IES-VE and TAS software. They normally require more mathematical processing than graphical rendering. Besides, I might play some games and do some video editing using the premiere pro. I need a computer running at least 15 16 hours a day and run lots of tasks. My budget is around 2800.

Since I am not experienced in computers, I need your advice to choose the best possible case. I am a bit worried about the overheating problem with these mini-cases, please advice on that as well.

My current configuration that I am considering is:

Case
FRACTAL DEFINE S NANO GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 Ten-Core Processor i9-10900K (3.7GHz) 20MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING (Mini-ITX, LGA1200, USB 3.2) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Intel Optane Memory
64GB INTEL® M10 OPTANE MEMORY - USE WITH MECHANICAL HDD
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H60 2018 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
LED Lighting
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Extra Case Fans
3x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN PORT + Wi-Fi
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [MUP-00003]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Monitor
AOC 21.5" E2270SWDN LED Monitor. 1920 x 1080, 5MS
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 20 to 22 working days
Price: £2,637.00 including VAT and Delivery

Last edited:

Domlr

I'm not a complete expert but I think you could go for an AMD GPU, the ryzen 9 3950x or 3900 is better for that kind of stuff and way better value for money than intel atm.
I would also look at adding more m.2 ssd and reducing ssd, since m.2 is much faster

padisar1990

Can I ask how much room you do have to put this system in? (can you give measurements please?) I ask as some towers are quite compact and, given your uses, a tower would definitely be preferable for both performance and longevity. It's entirely possible there are no towers small enough but I'd like to rule that out first

Obviously, if you have already checked all the tower cases and ruled them out, then please just disregard my post
Thank you for your reply... I chose mini PC as I am a student and I might need to move every year and having a normal-sized case would be problematic for moving out/ moving in. Apart from that, I am considering taking the case back to my home country when my study finishes here in the UK, so I was looking for something that is fit into my luggage or at least is small enough for easy air travel. I keep my computer running most of the time and that's why I decided to purchase a mini case instead of a Laptop. With regard to the size, I was thinking about
330mm x 203mm x 400mm (Approx H x W x D) roughly.

padisar1990

I'm not a complete expert but I think you could go for an AMD GPU, the ryzen 9 3950x or 3900 is better for that kind of stuff and way better value for money than intel atm.
I would also look at adding more m.2 ssd and reducing ssd, since m.2 is much faster
Thank you for your advice.