I overclocked my 780 Ti becuase i am an idiot.

DantheMan

very angry with myself as i stupidly decided to install MSI Afterburner, i then decided to incerase the clock speed by 90mhz without moving the core voltage, i left it at these settings for a couple of days. yesterday i decided to set the gpu back to default as i didn't really see an improvement in performance. now when i play my games i notice stuttering every 5 minutes or so luckily the stuttering only lasts for a split second. i have wrote about this on the linus tech tips forum, they are all saying that my GPU will be dead by the end of the week. my advice to any of you would be NEVER overclock your GPU you will regret it. games i have been playing were there has been stutter - Battlefield 3 Battlefield 4

if there is anything i can do please tell me

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Not sure if it would do any good but what about a complete fresh install of the graphics card? Uninstall all of the driver and Nvidia software. Turn off the computer and remove the power cable. Take out the graphics card and leave it for a while. Then plug the GPU back in and turn on the computer again. Then reinstall all of the drivers and after, benchmark some games.

An additional step you may want to take is to remove the CMOS, when you turn off the power and take out the GPU there will be a battery similar to a watch battery. Remove this for a while along with the graphics card and it will reset the CMOS, this means that all of your BIOS settings will be lost (nothing that can't be changed back and no important data files). Leave this out along with the graphics card for a few minutes. That should help clear any previous settings.

Also have you tried setting it back to the overclocked value? If it doesn't stutter there then you might as well leave it at that clock even if you don't notice any improvements.

DantheMan

Not sure if it would do any good but what about a complete fresh install of the graphics card? Uninstall all of the driver and Nvidia software. Turn off the computer and remove the power cable. Take out the graphics card and leave it for a while. Then plug the GPU back in and turn on the computer again. Then reinstall all of the drivers and after, benchmark some games.

An additional step you may want to take is to remove the CMOS, when you turn off the power and take out the GPU there will be a battery similar to a watch battery. Remove this for a while along with the graphics card and it will reset the CMOS, this means that all of your BIOS settings will be lost (nothing that can't be changed back and no important data files). Leave this out along with the graphics card for a few minutes. That should help clear any previous settings.

Also have you tried setting it back to the overclocked value? If it doesn't stutter there then you might as well leave it at that clock even if you don't notice any improvements.

hi, i really appreciate your suggestion i will most likely do that tommorow.

and for where you said about leaving at the OC value i really dont want to do that as it may even damage the gpu even more but never the less thanks for the suggestion i will try it tommorow :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Well if you didn't experience any issues until you underclocked it again then it would be fine. All that would happen is you get a little more heat output and a slightly shorter life span, which is better than it 'dying by the end of the week' as Linus forum members have suggested. Of course I may be wrong, I've personally never heard of this issue before but those were some suggestions that relate to the issue :)

And one more thing to add (i know ive said a lot) when you are reinstalling the drivers, choose a different version driver and make sure its a WHQL release, these are most stable and reliable.

DantheMan

Well if you didn't experience any issues until you underclocked it again then it would be fine. All that would happen is you get a little more heat output and a slightly shorter life span, which is better than it 'dying by the end of the week' as Linus forum members have suggested. Of course I may be wrong, I've personally never heard of this issue before but those were some suggestions that relate to the issue :)

And one more thing to add (i know ive said a lot) when you are reinstalling the drivers, choose a different version driver and make sure its a WHQL release, these are most stable and reliable.

So should I just leave it underclocked?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
What brand is your gpu? I think some brands let you overclock their cards. But im pretty certain palit would void your 2 year warranty.

At a guess, you didnt see any imorovement because your 780 ti was probably already maxing out your games. So the increase in mhz would only give you more frames, which you probably wouldnt notice anyway. Were you playing with vsync on btw?

DantheMan

What brand is your gpu? I think some brands let you overclock their cards. But im pretty certain palit would void your 2 year warranty.

At a guess, you didnt see any imorovement because your 780 ti was probably already maxing out your games. So the increase in mhz would only give you more frames, which you probably wouldnt notice anyway. Were you playing with vsync on btw?
Yeah it is palit and I sometimes play with vsync on but I have a 144hz monitor

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Probably worth a call to pcs to ask fir some advice. But you have probably lost your warranty on the card.

Id suggest doing wht wozza said and go from there.

TremF

Bronze Level Poster
I doubt you have damaged the card. From reviews I have read the 780 Ti cards have some pretty good overclock headroom. I have an MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming which comes factory overclocked and you can still push it further safely if you don't mind a little more fan noise and slightly higher temps! They truely are beasts. The overclock you mentioned is pretty low and had it been doing any damage you would likely have seen artifacts in games.

If you only had it at this low overclock for a couple of days I seriously doubt you could have done enough damage, if any at all, to kill it by the end of the week. Also from what I have read the cards are limited and not able to be tuned higher than Nvidia deem safe limits for the card anyway. Even when the limits are removed (voltage) with sufficient cooling the cards can be pushed quite hard.

Do as Wozza said to make sure all settings are reset and you may find it's fine. Fingers crossed for you :)

Edit: I just did a quick Google and it seems stuttering in some games (inc Battlefield) with vsync enabled is common. Maybe Google yourself and see if anyone found a decent fix? I know 1 person said about using Precision X to set the preferred FPS or something. Anyway It looks like you may not have damaged your card after all and maybe it was better at the O/C setting :)

Last edited:

DantheMan

I doubt you have damaged the card. From reviews I have read the 780 Ti cards have some pretty good overclock headroom. I have an MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming which comes factory overclocked and you can still push it further safely if you don't mind a little more fan noise and slightly higher temps! They truely are beasts. The overclock you mentioned is pretty low and had it been doing any damage you would likely have seen artifacts in games.

If you only had it at this low overclock for a couple of days I seriously doubt you could have done enough damage, if any at all, to kill it by the end of the week. Also from what I have read the cards are limited and not able to be tuned higher than Nvidia deem safe limits for the card anyway. Even when the limits are removed (voltage) with sufficient cooling the cards can be pushed quite hard.

Do as Wozza said to make sure all settings are reset and you may find it's fine. Fingers crossed for you :)

Edit: I just did a quick Google and it seems stuttering in some games (inc Battlefield) with vsync enabled is common. Maybe Google yourself and see if anyone found a decent fix? I know 1 person said about using Precision X to set the preferred FPS or something. Anyway It looks like you may not have damaged your card after all and maybe it was better at the O/C setting :)

wow, thanks a lot for your advice!

my fingers are crossed :)

Rustilol

Bronze Level Poster
Make sure with MSI afterburner you click "reset" rather than put in the actual vales, this will remove any clock settings other than default bios.
Un-tick "apply at system start-up", then I would restart system and then uninstall MSI afterburner.

Graphics stuttering can be sometimes be due to most of the vram being used on the card. With a 780ti I cant see this being a problem, but you can always download GPU-Z and monitor how much of your 3072MB vram you are using. If you notice its going above 2900, lower some settings like anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion or any settings like frames buffered.

Hope this helps x

Spuff

Expert

I was going to say something along similar lines. It's far from sure the OC did any damage. The issues described could be due to a number of other factors.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I have never been on the Linus tech tips forums but its probably like everywhere else on the internet. Full of people spouting rubbish, but people in glass houses etc :p

It is of course possible the overclock killed something as cards are only designed to run at the rated speed. However the type of damage you describe would be quite unusual and most cards will run that overclock without any issue. I think you will be fine, certainly nobody can tell you the card will die in x timeframe. Reset everything and try again, it could be some other setting/update that has screwed things for you rather than any damage caused by an overclock.

D1craig

Enthusiast
worried me for a few minutes when i read this lol. i have OC'd my GPU hd 7850 byt 100 core and over 100 memory and ive been using it this way for a month, i changed the fan profiles to perform a bit better at higher speeds. no problems so far.

i hope you get it sorted, thats like a weeks wages plus a day of overtime for that gpu for me so i would be devo'd. skint as it is lmfao

T

TheGeeza

I used to go on Linus tech tips forums every now and again but unfortunately it is filled with people who have watched him on YouTube and now think they know everything there is to know about computers. These people then go on to give poor advice.
I have mine overclocked to 1,250mhz on the core and I have had 0 problems.
This is most likely a fault with your card or another component in your PC and not the overclock. 90mhz is nothing to be honest.
90mhz should be fine without touching the voltage. Always best to increase the power target anyway.

Also, if you own a 780ti or any GK110 based graphics card you SHOULD be overclocking for more performance :) Unless you don't want to void warranty etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Can the OP could post back and let us know if the card did die within the week?

I suspect he will be too busy playing a game or something and has forgotten about this thread but we shall see.