I think my monitor has died *sob*

Rich89

Hey all,

This morning when I sat down I went to open a tab in firefox and my screen went black. I immediately thought oh s@$£ the GPU is gone. But then I switched on my TV which i use as a dual monitor for movies and it was fine. I unplugged the monitor cable and power cable all the while my icons were jumping from screen to screen. The monitor can't say on for more than a second though. I hear a little pop when it comes on before it goes off a again. It did this continuously while starting up. I don't think it's a faulty cable cos it won't even stay on with no cable in it.

I'm gonna leave it turned off for the rest of the day and see what it's like tomorrow before considering the fact i might have to buy a new monitor :x What are your guys' thoughts? Thanks.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Test other cables before you buy a new monitor. Oh often if the kettle lead (or IEC (or International Electro-technical Cable, if you're really fussy)) can make popping noises if they're dodgy or a bit loose.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Well that's new to me I've never heard about a monitor dying like that. Perhaps there was a power surge of some sort or some circuitry inside broke for whatever reason. What monitor is it and is it still under warranty? Something like this should definitely be covered if it is

Rich89

I've tried the monitor on another computer with a different power cable (a spare that was included my PCS pack) and same thing. I see the monitor logo come up - HKC then a flash of the desktop and it's off again. It's funny that you bring up a power surge cos the other day all the slave sockets on my PCS power surge extension hub stopped working. I had to plug in my monitor and speakers to another extension lead. Do you think this is what caused the problem? The monitor I have is a 24" Wide TFT Silver/Black 1920 x1080 2MS D-Sub, DVI, 23.6" Panel (£129) and I'm not sure about the warranty.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I've tried the monitor on another computer with a different power cable (a spare that was included my PCS pack) and same thing. I see the monitor logo come up - HKC then a flash of the desktop and it's off again. It's funny that you bring up a power surge cos the other day all the slave sockets on my PCS power surge extension hub stopped working. I had to plug in my monitor and speakers to another extension lead. Do you think this is what caused the problem? The monitor I have is a 24" Wide TFT Silver/Black 1920 x1080 2MS D-Sub, DVI, 23.6" Panel (£129) and I'm not sure about the warranty.

Is that the non-branded PCS monitor?

If your PC is less than a year old the monitor should be covered also, just give PCS a ring and they should be able to arrange an RMA

Rich89

I don't think the monitor is PCS brand. It says HKC on the front. My PC is over 3 year's old too so warranty is probably out the window I imagine? I'll phone PCS first thing Monday.

Rich89

Monitor was out of warranty. The guy I spoke to said it was 3 years and that I was outside that. I ordered a new monitor, a 27" Iiyama and a new power surger. Will be here tomorrow :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Monitor was out of warranty. The guy I spoke to said it was 3 years and that I was outside that. I ordered a new monitor, a 27" Iiyama and a new power surger. Will be here tomorrow :)

The Iiyama monitors are excellent, you definitely won't regret it! I liked mine so much I got a second one :D