I think my SSD is dead :(

Rakk

The Awesome
So, I think my SSD has died, and just wanted to check that I wasn't missing anything.

So: it can't be seen in either the BIOS or Disk Management.
I unplugged both the power cable and SATA cable from said SSD and replugged them in, the power cable is an extension of the power cable from the other two drives which do still work perfectly fine, the SATA connection on the motherboard looks good as well, though its tricky to fiddle with too much given its half hidden behind the GPU.

Next plan is to take it to work tomorrow and get my friend in IT support to give it a test (I've already checked with him over Steam and he said yeah bring it in - he was a little busy at the time sorting out his new deluxe headstrap for his Vive so I didnt want to bother him too much this evening).

So anything obvious I've missed?

The only good point though is that I got it from Amazon about 11 months ago so hopefully they should just replace it with no problem.
PS. My machine now boots really slowly lol, and I've spent a lot of the evening applying updates to the OS that PCS put on my other drive.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Sounds dead to me. Most SSDs have a good warranty so you should be covered no problem and you don't seem too concerned about lost data so that's good. I can't see Amazon really having any issues replacing it.

SSDs don't give the warning that hard drives tend to give (providing they aren't dropped or anything).

Good luck, I know how painful it can become when you have to boot from a hard drive after having SSDs for years.

I've yet to have an SSD of my own die on my me. And my Intel one has been running for almost 6 years now! And I actually think it still has a years warranty left!

Rakk

The Awesome
Sounds dead to me. Most SSDs have a good warranty so you should be covered no problem and you don't seem too concerned about lost data so that's good. I can't see Amazon really having any issues replacing it.
Well I'm not sure what I have lost which is the problem lol. But I have an image I took at the end of March, all my libraries weren't on the SSD anyway, and Google knows all my bookmarks, so at least I hopefully won't have lost too much.

SSDs don't give the warning that hard drives tend to give (providing they aren't dropped or anything).

Hehe, no I didn't drop it :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yeah if you were logged in with your Google account then pretty much everything on Chrome is backed up. Including extensions. The good thing about having SSDs means you don't have your documents on the same drive. A bad OS means nothing to me anymore, it's a few hours nuisance, I don't even take backups of the SSD.

Rakk

The Awesome
Gparted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php) will sometimes show discs that are not visible elsewhere, you may be able to see if it is corrupted, if so there is some chance of a rescue.

Thanks for the suggestion, though I completely failed to use gparted, burnt the 32 bit to disk, tried it, nothing happened, then realised I should've got the 64 bit one, d'oh, burnt that to disk (I have no spare USB sticks), and it didn't boot into that either, so I give up given the time :) - I'll get Dave to look at it tomorrow :)

Edit: I did eventually get it to boot into GParted Live, but my mouse didn't work, and the only window that popped up only showed my external WD drive, so yeah, I give up!

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you have a spare caddy lying around you could always stick it in that and see whether it's readable, on your PC or someone else's. It does sound to have done a Norwegian Blue though...

Rakk

The Awesome
If you have a spare caddy lying around you could always stick it in that and see whether it's readable, on your PC or someone else's. It does sound to have done a Norwegian Blue though...

Unfortunately I don't have any caddies (I've always had desktops so just added drives as internal drives when needed :)).

So now I'm sat at work waiting for Dave to turn up :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Unfortunately I don't have any caddies (I've always had desktops so just added drives as internal drives when needed :)).

So now I'm sat at work waiting for Dave to turn up :)

Well...it serves you right for going on holiday and leaving your desktop at home. PCs have feelings too you know...... :whistling:

Rakk

The Awesome
Well...it serves you right for going on holiday and leaving your desktop at home. PCs have feelings too you know...... :whistling:

Well I don't think it would've enjoyed going cycling or canoeing, anyways I left it with the Tivo box to keep it company, though admittedly that Tivo box does tend to be a bit awkward :p

Have tried it in a hard drive docking station thing this morning - it didn't even recognise the SSD was plugged in .... I'm pretty sure that's not a healthy sign :(

Rakk

The Awesome
Well, I knew there was a reason I liked Amazon (as long as your buying directly from them rather than a marketplace seller - which can be quite difficult at times), the new SSD is turning up tomorrow :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well, I knew there was a reason I liked Amazon (as long as your buying directly from them rather than a marketplace seller - which can be quite difficult at times), the new SSD is turning up tomorrow :)

Oh, that's good news. :)

Have you considered counselling for the Tivo box?

Rakk

The Awesome
And my comment now is 'Well, poop!', my March image obviously didn't save properly or something so I can't use it, and the previous one was from October .....
Definitely setting up a reminder to image more often .... mutter mutter mutter

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
And my comment now is 'Well, poop!', my March image obviously didn't save properly or something so I can't use it, and the previous one was from October .....
Definitely setting up a reminder to image more often .... mutter mutter mutter

I image (and do a file backup of my user data) every night on a schedule. I keep 30 days worth of images too.

One thing having been a large IBM mainframe sysprog (supporting over 5,000 users) teaches you is to backup and then backup again. And just in case, backup.

I used to go in to the data centre every Sunday evening to do a test restore (to a duplicate system I had built) so that both I and the operations staff knew how to run a restore operation (it involved a lot of tape mounts in those days) and to verify that the backups we were taking were good. Thankfully we never needed to do one for real. :)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I image (and do a file backup of my user data) every night on a schedule. I keep 30 days worth of images too.

One thing having been a large IBM mainframe sysprog (supporting over 5,000 users) teaches you is to backup and then backup again. And just in case, backup.

I used to go in to the data centre every Sunday evening to do a test restore (to a duplicate system I had built) so that both I and the operations staff knew how to run a restore operation (it involved a lot of tape mounts in those days) and to verify that the backups we were taking were good. Thankfully we never needed to do one for real. :)

Second this.

Just buy a cheap NAS and schedule backups to it so you have peace of mind.