I want to upgrade my gpu

Pleb

Silver Level Poster
Depends on your case and motherboard. The new 900 series GPUs from Nvidia are about the best around at the moment, the 980 in particular. The 700 series has just been discontinued but there are some great deals on them.

tararatas

More details about my computer

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 7.1 5.9
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 SE 7.6
Gaming graphics 4095 MB Total available graphics memory 7.6
Primary hard disk 42GB Free (98GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Ultimate

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer MSI
Model MS-7788
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 931 GB
Disk partition (C:) 42 GB Free (98 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 254 GB Free (400 GB Total)
Disk partition (E:) 361 GB Free (433 GB Total)
Media drive (F:) CD/DVD
Media drive (K:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 SE
Total available graphics memory 4095 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3071 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.4411
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10

Pleb

Silver Level Poster
Is this for a laptop or mini desktop by any chance? The MSI MS-7788 motherboard seems to be used in either a laptop or mini desktop pc.

EDIT: My apologies was looking at the wrong mobo! You can quite easily replace the GPU with another Nvidia GeForce card but your CPU might be a problem as it's quite old. I would consult the Nvidia forums and see what they can suggest, I can see that people have put in a gtx 650 ti in with that mobo but I'm concerned your CPU will slow things down.

Last edited:

Pleb

Silver Level Poster
Yes I realised after I posted the original post. I would consult the Nvidia forums/website as your CPU is probably the only thing that's going to let you down.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Think he meant CPU, that i3 is a few years old now, and i3's aren't really ideal for most gaming rigs. The most important factor would be what power requirements your psu could handle. What wattage is yours?

The 900 series draw quite little power and so a 960 should take less power than your current 560 se. You may even be able to cram a 970 in there.

Pleb

Silver Level Poster
Think he meant CPU, that i3 is a few years old now, and i3's aren't really ideal for most gaming rigs. The most important factor would be what power requirements your psu could handle. What wattage is yours?

The 900 series draw quite little power and so a 960 should take less power than your current 560 se. You may even be able to cram a 970 in there.
Yes I was mainly concerned that an i3 would be quite slow and maybe you should consider replacing this as well. However it is completely up to you.

I agree with the PSU issue as well, do you know what wattage your PSU is? If you are going to get a 900 series card then the 970 would be your best bet. However I would still recommend upgrading your CPU at some point, to an i5 or maybe even an i7 - although you probably only need an i5 for just gaming.

Pleb

Silver Level Poster
An i5 will cost about 180 to 200 dollars so you might want to increase your budget for your CPU. A gtx 970 is about 320 dollars.

Pleb

Silver Level Poster
You could get a moderate GPU with your current CPU but you are probably better off upgrading the CPU now and then saving up and upgrading the GPU later and get a GTX 970.