i5 or i7 for non-gaming desktop

weare one

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all

I’m looking to replace my desktop and would like some advice on whether or not a i5cpu will suffice my needs or if I should go for a i7cpu.

I am not a gamer but I usually have running Photoshop/Word up to 5/6 windows/Excell and Firefox with up to 10 tabs open.

Also will a dedicated graphic card be necessary, although I have always had one.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

weare one

Bronze Level Poster
Hi keynes

Thanks for your quick reply

I appreciate what you say about Photoshop, its and old version 7.0 but has worked perfectly ok on this auld Pentium D cpu 3.2ghz and a ATI Radeon HD 4770 for many years, so was wondering if i7 was necessary.

Budget between £1000 and £1400 for base unit although would rather keep it lower as will add new screen at a later date.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Photoshop appears not to benefit from an i7, or at least not from an i7's hyperthreading - it might benefit from an i7's slightly higher frequency. However it seems likely going by that that an OCed i5 would be best.

06b-Adobe-PS-Heavy_w_600.png

weare one

Bronze Level Poster
Photoshop appears not to benefit from an i7, or at least not from an i7's hyperthreading - it might benefit from an i7's slightly higher frequency. However it seems likely going by that that an OCed i5 would be best.

Interesting……….thanks for the info and the link Oussebon :cool: