I7 7700k and overclocking concerns

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Pretty sure that overclocking has always had the potential to void the warranty, which is why Intel have had this on sale: https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

The response is pretty pathetic, but nothing surprising. Their advice is to not overclock in order to avoid high temps, rather than suggesting people who have an overclock and don't have a problem with temps should remove the OC to be safe (warranty consideration notwithstanding).

Intel weren't really going to say "Sorry about the temps, we're just too tight to use better TIM / soldered die on the CPUs for plebs".

It's a free gift to AMD. I can only suppose the point of making such a bare-faced statement was to just draw a line under the 7700k's temps issue, as they're going to move on to the next round of CPUs soon(er than originally planned) anyway.

Last edited:

Andrew_P

Silver Level Poster
Just seen this thread as I was looking at ordering a overclocked i7-7700K in my build, would you its better just sticking with the stock speed?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Nothing's come out from Intel.

It's not news because it's new technical information, it's news because it's Intel flipping the bird at their enthusiast customers.

PCS will test the system before sending it. And if the temps are higher than you're comfortable with, or if the room you're using the PC in runs 30 degrees C ambient temps+ during the summer or whatever, you can always remove the overclock with the option of reapplying it with a few button clicks from the pre-prepared BIOS profile PCS provide, safe in the knowledge that the OC is covered under the warranty.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Personally, I'd say if you're going for an overclock, it may be worth considering closed loop cooling like a minimum of the h80i or h100i. They can keep the overall temps reduced quite massively compared to air cooling. On my H100i V2 the top temp when gaming is around 50 - 55 C as opposed to an aircooler (previously had a noctua) where it could get closer to 70c

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
This will certainly negatively effect the biggest advantage Intel currently have over AMD, which is higher single core clock speeds. Intel chips are far more overclockable, but this may make a lot of people reconsider.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
This will certainly negatively effect the biggest advantage Intel currently have over AMD, which is higher single core clock speeds. Intel chips are far more overclockable, but this may make a lot of people reconsider.
I'm wondering whether this in turn will have a positive effect where Intel stop being quite so cheap with the -K CPUs' TIM and so on.