i7 950 Cooling

pmccurdy

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question regarding the i7 950 and that I've been told by a couple of people that the standard Intel cooler isnt sufficient as they've experienced fairly high temps at idle (40C+) and had to get an aftermarket one, not overclocked by the way, apparantly one of them also has a 1090T overclocked to 3.6Ghz and never goes over 40C under load. Does this sound right?

I checked around and it does seem that people do experience this, for eg, if you look at user feedback on this processor on newegg, there's a significant amount of people that complained about the cooling.

So I dont plan to overclock, is the standard cooler sufficient? If yes, I'm curious to know why so many people experience temp issues.

thanks!
-Phil

Gorman

Author Level
They are comparing apples to oranges i am afraid.

An I7 running at 40c idle is absolutely fine, and not far off what i get with a full watercooling loop.

The thermal cutoff point for an I7 is about 100c, for the 1090T, its 65c. These cannot be compared.

The stock cooler is designed and provided by Intel, these guys sink tens of billions into r & d each year, they know what they are doing!. At stock clocks there is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock cooler. Apart from its ugly.

As far as the user comments etc go, a little knowledge and an internet connection can be a dangerous thing, 40c idle and upto 80-90c load is nothing for an I7 CPU, it would outright kill a 1090T as they are a completely different architecture.

pmccurdy

Ah ok, yeah I can't imagine Intel providing sub par cooling, especially as you say, with the amounts invested into R&D.
Cheers for the info! Much appreciated.

Gorman

Author Level
Most programs monitor the tjunction, which is inside the cores, tcase is in the cpu but not in the cores.

The temperature you want to be concerned about is the tjunction, as this is the hottest part of the cpu, the tcase could be around 50c while at the same time the temp inside the cores (tjunction) is getting out of hand at 90c.

When the tjunction reaches 100c for an Intel, it will shutdown the machine.

As always i am open to correction.