I7 9700K CPU Boost

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
I can already hear a groan, noob question.... When benchmarking the CPU should I ever expect to see any of the cores top out at 4.9GHz? Mine seems to be limiting at or around the 4.7-4.8GHz mark (I know tiny margin). Is this within the tolerances given by Intel?

Cheers

Garry

CPU Test.png

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
What are you using for the benchmarking? It may be the temps that's limiting it, or the power. It's not a limitation of the 9700k itself. that being said, Intel won't guarantee the 4.9.... it's just expected.

See what happens if you run Prime95 on a single core?

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Hi @Scott , cheers mate for looking, makes no real difference if I test 1 or 8 cores in Prime 95, original tests were done with Cinebench. I've gone into Control Centre and Performance mode is set. I've had a quick look in the CPU ratio override and only one core is set to 49 (does that mean 4.9 GHz?), all the others are 48 or below with 3 set to 46. Turning all of these to 49 makes no difference as they reset themselves back to their original setting.

As i haven't got a clue with what i am faffing around with, i'd best leave it alone. Just wandered if any of the cores were supposed to ramp up to 4.9, mind you they do seem to be all sitting at or around 4.6 constantly!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Only 1 core will run at 4.9 at any given time. I don't know if it's fixed on a core by core basis, I believe it can apply to any core (the one with the most load).

There are a load of limitations to consider in a laptop. Try running Firestrike in 3D mark and see what the maximum frequency is from the CPU.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Only 1 core will run at 4.9 at any given time. I don't know if it's fixed on a core by core basis, I believe it can apply to any core (the one with the most load).

There are a load of limitations to consider in a laptop. Try running Firestrike in 3D mark and see what the maximum frequency is from the CPU.
Yeah i think that how i understand it too mate, however as i said it appears that none of the cores are ramping up to 4.9, rather to 4.8. As i said maybe thats the capacity or tolerance of my chips as i have read it's a bit of a lottery ref chips and their behaviour.

The processor is stabilized at 4.6 constantly though, not falling back to the base clock but i am assuming thats because i am in performance mode?

Ran Firestrike-

Annotation 2020-05-23 143155.png

No mention of CPU speeds. HW Monitor was running throughout the test-

Annotation 2020-05-23 143155.png

Thanks for your time @Scott

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If you click "Compare result online" you get more data.

It's possible that you might just be unlucky with the CPU then. Without having a play with one of the high end Octanes I don't really have any frame of reference unfortunately.

What you have tried is what I would try to get it to peak. Next step for me would be tinkering with an OC but I wouldn't recommend that without knowing exactly what you are doing. It's trickier in a laptop than in a desktop system.

That's a powerhouse of a system though mate :)

4791 seems a common result for the CPU on 3DMark Firestrike though. Interesting.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
I've just re-ran the test and got a slightly lower score, but it's not a biggie-
Annotation 2020-05-23 145202.png

Deffo seems to be bugging out at 4.8GHz
Annotation 2020-05-23 145202.png

Yeah this thing is completely unpractical, weighs a tonne, battery lasts maybe an hour or so but I absolutely love it 🤣

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Interesting that my 1080 in my laptop seems to post higher than the 2070. Quite surprised at that to be honest.

Your CPU blows mine out the water though, even overclocked (6700k)

Scratch that, CPU wasn't OC in that run.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Interesting that my 1080 in my laptop seems to post higher than the 2070. Quite surprised at that to be honest.

Your CPU blows mine out the water though, even overclocked (6700k)

Scratch that, CPU wasn't OC in that run.
Looking online, the differences between the 2070 and the 1080 in performance isn't massive with some sources still saying that your card still out performs mine. Unfortunately the 2070 was the best choice i had for the Octane otherwise i would have spec'd up a 2080 in the build.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Looking online, the differences between the 2070 and the 1080 in performance isn't massive with some sources still saying that your card still out performs mine. Unfortunately the 2070 was the best choice i had for the Octane otherwise i would have spec'd up a 2080 in the build.

The 2070 is the perfect match IMO. The 2080 is overkill, it'll run super hot.

That's the thing you need to take into consideration. As much as the 1080 Notebook is in a similar bracket for performance..... it's not even close on cooling potential :)