iCue strange issues

5ebs

Hi all,

I’m just wondering if anyone has experienced these strange issues I’ve been experiencing with iCue:

As soon as you change the default settings on iCue (such as Hardware lighting), some fans stay on at a slower speed after the pc is shutdown. The AIO fans do a strange ‘jittering’ movement after every couple of seconds too.

The only way I have found to prevent this is by switching off the power supply or by reinstalling iCue and keeping the settings on default. With the latter, I don’t want my computer lit up like a Christmas tree in the middle of the night (maybe in a couple of months when it is Christmas).

If you switch off the power supply and switch it back on even after a long time, the fans also start up again without starting up the computer.

I’ve only just received delivery of this pc this week and I’ve also reset it so it does point to iCue causing this strange issue. I don’t think it’s a hardware issue but I’d just like to add DPD managed to dent the side panel on the right where the RGB controllers are but everything looks okay.

This is my second tower pc that has been dented on the side by DPD — I’m not sure if they could deliver a tank without it being dented! But PCS have quickly provided a replacement side panel which is great btw.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Seb

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 5000T RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 16-Core Processor i9-12900K (3.2GHz) 30MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO WIFI (LGA1700, USB 3.2, PCIe 5.0) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB DDR5 5600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 530 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 7300MB/R, 6900MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Display RGB CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
4x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Professional 64 Bit

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just so I understand the issue:
Once you change some settings from the default in iCUE, when you shutdown PC (presumably via Start->Power->Shutdown) the fans still run?

Never heard of that before. I would have thought that if Windows has shutdown, iCUE is not longer running, so it's not controlling fans, rather the BIOS would.

The only thing I can think of right now is if your Shutdown is not a complete shutdown but rather it's going into a hibernate mode allowing a fast boot when powered up again. And this hibernate mode still allows fans to run.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Does the controller control both lighting and RPMs, or just lighting?

If the latter, then is ArmoryCrate controlling the fan speeds...which would mean it doesn't need the OS running at all as the speeds will be saved in the BIOS under FanExpert.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Does the controller control both lighting and RPMs, or just lighting?

If the latter, then is ArmoryCrate controlling the fan speeds...which would mean it doesn't need the OS running at all as the speeds will be saved in the BIOS under FanExpert.
iCUE controls connected fans' RPMs. The fans are not connected to a fan header, only the pump is and that's just so it can report a RPM speed to the CPU header, as some BIOS's will fail POST if they fail to detect a CPU fan running.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I only suggested that, as mine were not wired that way when I received my PC (cheap iCUE 220T though, so probably the cheapest, least-capable controller that the all-singing, all-dancing 5000T)...and had splitters coming from the MB to control the fan speeds with FanExpert...although the whole cabling in mine was a bit of a rat's nest anyway.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Fair point, I was assuming fans were connected to the Commander core that the AIO comes with, but some case fans might connect to the MB via header or PWM splitter.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Fair point, I was assuming fans were connected to the Commander core that the AIO comes with, but some case fans might connect to the MB via header or PWM splitter.
A bit of further research shows the iCUE 5000T comes with the full Commander Pro controller (lighting & fans speed), rather than the just Lighting Node Core that the iCUE 220T gets...so as long as it's been wired correctly during build, then everything should be controlled/controllable via iCUE...as mine was once I fitted the Commander Pro myself.

5ebs

Thanks for the replies.

I have temporarily come up with a solution to prevent the fans from running when the pc is shut down. I modified the 'ErP' setting within the BIOS and set it to S4+S5. The only problem with this solution is all the RGB LEDs, the fancy LCD screens, and any USB ports for charging are completely switched off.

The same set of fans that would previously still run when the computer was shut down still do so when the computer is put into sleep mode. Strange behavior still...