Illuminated USB keyboard request

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My current keyboard is an Asus Cerberus, and whilst it's generally pretty good the keys are kind of wobbly, enough so that if I only press the edge of the key rather than the centre, it sort of jams instead of going down and the letter is skipped (the left shift and the keys on the left suffer most from my poor typing style). I'm not a touch typist, I was a programmer decades ago, and so I'm darned fast with two fingers... :)

I'm thinking of replacing this Cerberus with something that doesn't suffer from this wobbly key locking problem. Something with a more positive key feel would be good too. I need it to be illuminated but just with a single colour (and red matches my monitor stripe) because I use it sometimes in dim lighting. I need a full size keyboard with a full set of function keys and a numeric pad but I don't want a touchpad on it and I don't need audio and volume controls on it either. It must be USB though.

I don't need mechanical keys, I don't game, but I don't mind paying for a quality keyboard that will accommodate my two-finger style that doesn't always hit the keys in the centre....

Any recommendations?

andjac

Bronze Level Poster
I highly reccomend the Corsair K95
You can customise the illumination even down to the individual key.
And you can change the brightness of the illumination on the fly
And has additional function keys you can macro to carry out most computer commands

Great key press, well spaced, its mechanical so it does have a bit of a click to them
Its got some of the extras you said you don't need but they don't do any harm being there

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The K95 always comes up top in most recommendations. It's eye wateringly expensive but I don't think you can do better tbh.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The ones I would recommend over the Corsairs are Ducky’s, but they may be hard to source out in Greece. They really are superb keyboards and they do more of a range than Corsair so you might find something less gamery if you catch my drift.

They have them on Amazon.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What do we think of the Corsair K70? After discovering what the different characteristics of the Cherry MX switch colours are, I figure that brown would be the best for me (tactile and quiet) and I really don't want to pay £180 for a K95 with brown switches.

I can get a Corsair K70 with Cherry MX brown switches and just a single colour illumination (red) from Amazon for £114, how would that do? My main concern is reliable keypresses no matter whether I hit the keys in their centre or on an edge or corner. Will the Cherry switches cope with that?

I'm also seeing some reports of broken keycaps on Corsair switches, I'm hoping that's through the pounding gamers give their keyboards, but I'm a tad worried that my tendency to not always press the keys in their centre might cause early breakage?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What do we think of the Corsair K70? After discovering what the different characteristics of the Cherry MX switch colours are, I figure that brown would be the best for me (tactile and quiet) and I really don't want to pay £180 for a K95 with brown switches.

I can get a Corsair K70 with Cherry MX brown switches and just a single colour illumination (red) from Amazon for £114, how would that do? My main concern is reliable keypresses no matter whether I hit the keys in their centre or on an edge or corner. Will the Cherry switches cope with that?

I'm also seeing some reports of broken keycaps on Corsair switches, I'm hoping that's through the pounding gamers give their keyboards, but I'm a tad worried that my tendency to not always press the keys in their centre might cause early breakage?
I’ve got the K70, it’s amazing! I’ve had it for a couple of years now, no broken keys or caps. You can pick up replacement cap sets on amazon.

I can safely say it’s never missed a key press.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I just wanted to pop back and thank you all for your recommendations. My Corsair K70 Mk2 has arrived and is delightful. Very many thanks, especially to SpyderTracks. (y)