IMAP Accessing Gmail Account

Hope someone can help me on this!!

How does IMAP access my email account with the same IP address (through our household wireless router I suspect!!) when my Blackberry is switched off? There are two other Blackberry users in the household. I have been keeping a close eye on my gmail 'recent activity' list and this problem is becoming quite a regular occurrence!!

Any ideas/answers most welcome!

Thank you

mishra

Rising Star
Sorry not sure what problem you are having. Can you elaborate bit more? What application do you use to access gmail by IMAP? What phone have you got?
Other users on the same network should not cause any problems, as they will be accessing their Gmail not yours, surely?

Think you have to explain this bit more... cause I read it few times and cant get my head understanding the nature of your problem :(

I have a BB Bold 9790. Everynight I disable all connections (network, broadband, bluetooth, NFC) and switch my phone off. I have my phone locked too so nobody can use it without entering my password. There, a bit OTT on the security side of things, but that's me.

My problem is that even though my BB is disconnected from any network, powered off etc., a BB IMAP is accessing my UK gmail email account!! I know this cos when I check the offending IP address it belongs too Blackberry eu, but not only that, it is the same IP address that my BB uses when it is genuinely in operation.

I believe someone else is accessing my email account with a BB even though I keep changing my email password. When I check the email account activity of one of the other BB's in the household (which is also switched off overnight) there is NO IMAP access activity on their email account.

Can someone please help me cos it's driving me mad!!

Any useful and knowledgable replies most welcome!

Many thanks :)

mishra

Rising Star
Hmm to be honest this is a bit bizzare. Never came across such thing. However, with gmail it it extremely easy to protect your account in many ways:
- First of all, change your gmail password
- Then activate "2-step verification" feature. It is available in Account settings and then go to Security.

2-step verification in an essence works like that:
- you authenticate with email and password upon accessing web-interface
- then website is asking you to provide a five digit code that will get send to your mobile phone by text message

This seems annoying, but you can "remember PCs" which will not ask you for such code but at the same time if you start receiving those codes when you are not accessing gmail it means someone else is trying to access your account.

With mobile phones this works slightly different as there is additional "application password" you need to set up as not all devices support 2step verification - but to start with this should work fine. At least you will know if someone is accessing your gmail account.

Alternatively, look up on Blackberry I believe they must have got some sort of Gmail app, that will work fine - if not , just ditch blackberry it is unfortunetly dying and riddled with problems platform now :( We had a company on support and "every" single blackberry caused problems, they moved to iPhones/Android phones problems are no more - simple as that. I know this not exactly on topic and may not help.. but, hey, that is the only advise I can offer you.

In short, if you phone is switched OFF there is no way it will check emails mate, unless you set Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) through their website. But I believe you would remember setting it all up in first place?
So it's either:
- you getting wrong impressions someone is accessing your account
- you had an old blackberry where you did not remove gmail access (and someone is using it)
- you activated BIS
- no clue what else to suggest

2step verification should help - it is amazing way of keeping your emails secure - viva la google. Hope this helps

Marks

Bronze Level Poster
Sounds like its setup to fetch your gmail mail to send to your blackberry.

The blackberry server will do this, so what devices you have turned on or off doesn't matter.