Indie game recommendations

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
As somebody witha ridiculously huge Steam library (2,267 games and counting!), I probably own a lot of games that maybe aren't so well known, but should be given a go by more people. I'm going to use this thread to recommend some of those games that I've come across and spread the word about the games. My first recommedation is Carrion. It's a gory pixel graphics action game with a fun twist - you play as the villain. Most games have you play as the hero trying to stop the monster from taking over the world, but in Carrion, you are the monster!

It's typically around £17 and I think it's well worth that price, but if you can get it on sale, even better!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Evoland Legendary Edition is my next recommendation.

The Legendary Edition contains both Evoland 1 and 2. Evoland is an RPG that plays through the course of video gaming history - you start off playing in monochrome, and have to discover features that will upgrade your game by adding sound, the ability to walk backwards and even the ability to play in colour!

For anybody interested in video gaming history, it's probably worth playing through the two games. It's £15 on Steam or I do have a copy available in the giveaway thread for the first to grab it.

Last edited:

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If i may, i played some time ago (well, one year or two already ...) a those 4 games called Deponia :
They are at 93% off on steam right now :

It's four Point & Click game serie, and it's nut.
And Stupid
And funny
And, and, and ... well, i think, after some time here, that it fit more or less the behaviour i observed from some members :D

I'm bad at telling story, so, the simpliest thing i can do it's this : go check the steam (or wikipedia) page on have a look.

But i did have a really good time playing those games (and i don't like point and click in the first place) ;)

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
If i may, i played some time ago (well, one year or two already ...) a those 4 games called Deponia :
They are at 93% off on steam right now :

It's four Point & Click game serie, and it's nut.
And Stupid
And funny
And, and, and ... well, i think, after some time here, that it fit more or less the behaviour i observed from some members :D

I'm bad at telling story, so, the simpliest thing i can do it's this : go check the steam (or wikipedia) page on have a look.

But i did have a really good time playing those games (and i don't like point and click in the first place) ;)
I was going to recommend the Deponia series at some point, so you beat me to it. Very good recommendation though!

D

Deleted member 41971

As somebody witha ridiculously huge Steam library (2,267 games and counting!)

your game collection, how many games do you have, does the 2000 plus account for say games on gog, ubisoft, epic etc etc, as well as steam? You are like a walking Game shop :LOL:

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
More seriously, two other recommandations

First :

Owlboy
it's a great adventure, a little bit like an old zelda, but, with great great pixel art graphism, a great ost, and a good story
if my memorie are well, something like between zelda and ffiv (i really enjoyed it)

Second :
(let's be a litlle be proud of a indie french game)

Ghost of a tale

This one is ...
Well, again, an adventure game, where you embody a small minstrel mouse that have to escape and explore a prison.
He has to discover why he was captured, what happen in the area ...

(Sorry, as i said, i'm bad a telling story in french, my native language, so in english ... XD but this game is really nice, and come on, you play mice, met rats, frog, mouse ghost and birds ... :D)

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
your game collection, how many games do you have, does the 2000 plus account for say games on gog, ubisoft, epic etc etc, as well as steam? You are like a walking Game shop :LOL:
Nope, the 2,267 is just Steam. I also use GOG Galaxy which has collated all my games and while there are some duplicates, my total collection across Steam, GOG, Ubisoft, EA, Epic and Xbox Live is 2601.

More seriously, two other recommandations

First :

Owlboy
it's a great adventure, a little bit like an old zelda, but, with great great pixel art graphism, a great ost, and a good story
if my memorie are well, something like between zelda and ffiv (i really enjoyed it)

Second :
(let's be a litlle be proud of a indie french game)

Ghost of a tale

This one is ...
Well, again, an adventure game, where you embody a small minstrel mouse that have to escape and explore a prison.
He has to discover why he was captured, what happen in the area ...

(Sorry, as i said, i'm bad a telling story in french, my native language, so in english ... XD but this game is really nice, and come on, you play mice, met rats, frog, mouse ghost and birds ... :D)
Owlboy is a lovely game and one I would recommend.

Ghost of a Tale is a game that's on my wishlist but I've not got around to buying it yet.

If I was going to recommend any French games, it would have to be some of Don't Nod's games, Remember Me and Life is Strange.

Remember Me is currently £4.59 although it's usually £23.99 and is a third person adventure game in a cyberpunk sci-fi setting.

Life Is Strange is a hugely well-known game, but as Don't Nod aren't a big company, I'd still class it as an indie game. It's an episodic adventure game featuring an awesome soundtrack and time manipulation. Well, well worth it if you've not played it yet.

The first episode is free, so you can play through the first couple of hours and get a sense if the game is for you and the rest of the episodes are on Steam for £15.99.

I'm not going to add any more recommendations for a few days as this thread could really get out of hand quickly if I powered through recommendations, so in the end nobody would actually see what is being recommded, and that'd kinda defeat the point in making the thread!

D

Deleted member 41971

i thought frostpunk was a good game, if this is counted as indie

D

Deleted member 41971

, my total collection across Steam, GOG, Ubisoft, EA, Epic and Xbox Live is 2601.

- Copy.jpg

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I'm going to post these two, just ordering Devotion now as it's had good reports, but apparently Detention is a classic also:

Detention's fun - a little brown-pants inspiring for those of us who listen to games through headphones though...

D

Deleted member 41971

I also added this game to the pc game deals as its free

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam

I also added this game to the pc game deals as its free

So, my chocolate-infused friend, on what basis are you recommending these 3 games? I've played one of them and thought it was okay, but I'm entirely unaware of the other two.

200.gif

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I play an awful lot of Indie games in fact I'd say it's the majority of what I play these days

I can strongly recommend the following 3. Maybe I'll fire a few suggestions in every now and then

The Binding of Isaac, just released the final expansion and it's an absolutely massive one onto if an already colossal game. BOI is one of the best games on steam and has more content than you can imagine

Dead Cells is one of the best Rogue-Like Metroidvania type games I've ever played. Massive amount of time spend in the game and can't recommend it enough if you like a good challenge. I'm only at Boss Cell 4 with a ungodly amount of hours in

Strafe if you want a classic FPS experience with some modern quality of life changes this one is brilliant. Difficult and challenging but fun and engaging.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I play an awful lot of Indie games in fact I'd say it's the majority of what I play these days

I can strongly recommend the following 3. Maybe I'll fire a few suggestions in every now and then

The Binding of Isaac, just released the final expansion and it's an absolutely massive one onto if an already colossal game. BOI is one of the best games on steam and has more content than you can imagine

Dead Cells is one of the best Rogue-Like Metroidvania type games I've ever played. Massive amount of time spend in the game and can't recommend it enough if you like a good challenge. I'm only at Boss Cell 4 with a ungodly amount of hours in

Strafe if you want a classic FPS experience with some modern quality of life changes this one is brilliant. Difficult and challenging but fun and engaging.
Dead Cells is amazing.

I've never really gotten into BOI although that last expansion is making me think I'll give it another go at some point.

Strafe reminds me of the earlier Quake and Doom games as it seems to give off that kind of vibe.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Dead Cells is amazing.

I've never really gotten into BOI although that last expansion is making me think I'll give it another go at some point.

Strafe reminds me of the earlier Quake and Doom games as it seems to give off that kind of vibe.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Over 2,000 hours into BOI and I'll put another couple 1000 in I imagine

D

Deleted member 41971

So, my chocolate-infused friend, on what basis are you recommending these 3 games? I've played one of them and thought it was okay, but I'm entirely unaware of the other two.

200.gif

well suger coat my bon bon and call me coco, I have found something that actuallydenz does not own,

as for the games, does these reviews tempt you,

omori

to the moon

nubarron adventures (free)

I really likes to the moon for the unique story, i found it engaging, nubarron for it being a free game currently it is worth a play, and I thought omori on offer, not £15 is worth a dive in. although the steam reviews are glowing for omori.