inSSIDer WiFi Scanner - Have you used it?

PokerFace

Banned
Any of you guys used inSSIDer WiFi scanner? It looks like a useful program. I don't need it at the moment, but as I'm moving my ISP to Sky (taking the tv, internet, phone package) in the next week or so, I am just preparing for when my wifi connection is bad :(

I hear the router they give you is just a wireless 'g' and is pretty bad when compared to my current Belkin 'N' router (I need to go through 2 brick walls in my old house).

I'll be ok on my desktop as I'll hard wire, but laptop and 2nd pc might be a problem.

Just got a couple of ??'s (for now :rolleyes:)

1) Any of you used a recent Sky router? If so, how did you find it?
2) Can I use my current Belkin USB wireless 'N' adapter with a different brand router, or are brands and 'g' & 'N' not interchangeable?

Cheers!

pengipete

Rising Star
InSSider's fine at what it does. Whether it's any use to you depends on what you are hoping to get from it.

As for Sky's router, there are two but most people seems to be getting a D-Link version. It is - as you say - only a/b/g but it's not bad as these things go. Unfortunately, Sky's terms and conditions state that you must use the supplied router and it's rather difficult to get a none Sky one to work (it requires a certain amount of hacking) so unless you want to risk losing your broadband and potentially damaging your hardware, I wouldn't bother.

You're "n" adaptor shold work fine - it will support earlier versions - but will obviously connect at "g" speeds. Unless you have an internet connection faster than 27Mbps (the one-way limit for Wireless g), you'll not see any difference in speeds. In theory, you'll get slower connection between devices on your home network if you have more than one wireless "n" devices. You'll may also lose some of the sognal strength but even that's not certain. Wireless "n" specs call for MIMO - the use of multiple antennas to improve reception and transmission. In practice, most "n" devices available more than a couple of months ago were "draft-n" and were actually no better than "g" devices - in short, they were an oversold gimmick.

It's not all bad news. It may be possible to use your old router as a repeater - that means it can pick up the signal from the new router and then transmit the data it receives using it's own transmitter. In theory, using a series of routers like this gives you practically unlimited range. It's not alway easy to set up and not all routers support the feature. I can't check with the Sky D-Link as the only other routers I have in the house are BT Homehubs (version 2) which definitely don't support repeater mode but there is a way around even that hurdle. Using powerline adaptors, I have the old BT hub connected by ethernet to the Sky router and now have full strength wi-fi throughout the whole house - and it's a big, stone-built bungalow. The other advantage is that the BT hub is draft "n" so as long as any two wireless "n" devices are connecting through that router, they work at the faster speeds. In use, I can walk the full length of the house with my laptop and never lose my internet connection - it just switches to the strongest signal without skipping a beat.

It's a bit of a long-winded process to explain how to set it all up and the software built in to the vaious routers varies so much that I'd rather not try and explainn it all in a single post. If you want to try it, start by looking at this site - http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/repeaterhubs.html - it's really based around BT hubs but the principal is the same. If you get stuck, post back or send me a pm and I'll do my best to help.

There's an alternative that might appeal and be easier - the downside being that it will cost you. You can buy powerline adaptors that contain a built-in wireless transmitter. You connect one to the router and another anywhere you like - as long as it's on the same ring-main - and you'll have a full strength signal wherever you want it. Basically, it's the same as using the two routers as I only without any fuss or skill required.

A final thought. I have the "repeater" hub near my desktop PC and connect to that using ethernet - none of the problems which can come with wireless and a much faster connection. The wireless signal is just needed for the rooms along the corridor - the "repeater" doesn't have to be in those rooms - just near enough to give a stromg signal.

PokerFace

Banned
Your current router will work perfectly fine you shouldn't (in theory) have any issues.

Where did you get that info Gishank? Because how I understand, I'm not allowed to use a router other than the one Sky provides. I read somewhere that if a different router is used, they will not give any support if I get an internet/connection problem.

Also, I've read that they don't supply (or give access) to the router password. Although some forums say there is a way to obtain this.

PokerFace

Banned
Thanks Pengipete, I was typing my last message before I saw your reply. I'll see how I get on after 14th (switch over date) and do a bit of studying then if I have a problem....so much to learn..so little time :)

pengipete

Rising Star
You were right about the hidden password. It's easy enough to find if you know how (plenty of hits on Google about it) but that's just the start. It appears that Sky's servers run certain checks to ensure that their router is connecting and you'd have to spoof certain settings to get around that - which is just begging to get into trouble.

Just for reference, I moved from BT to Sky last year on Sky Connect (miles from anywhere and no unundled exchanges around here) and we had to go through the 10 day line-training period so you may get a slow or unstable connection for a few days after it is activated.

PokerFace

Banned
Thanks pengipete. They are full of tricks :( I just had Sky tv installed today and wanted to connect to a 2nd tv in another room (just to mirror what was on the main tv - not multi-room). The installer said I couldn't, but after a quick 'Google' I found the 'secret technician code' 001 for the Sky+ HD box. I changed settings for RF2 out (set to channel 68 and power 'on'), run a coaxial cable from RF2 out on Sky box to aerial 'in' on my old analogue tv, tuned it in to channel 68, and hey presto! TV in my dining room :)

I did lose signal twice on main tv for a couple of minutes (before I changed settings), so that's a bit worrying. But I'll see how it goes.

pengipete

Rising Star
The next step from there is to get a "Magic Eye" - it let's you use a Sky remote through the RF lead so you can change channels etc from the other room. They're cheap and work on that same RF2 output.

PokerFace

Banned
The next step from there is to get a "Magic Eye" - it let's you use a Sky remote through the RF lead so you can change channels etc from the other room. They're cheap and work on that same RF2 output.

Yeah thanks, I read about them. Can anyone recommend a decent brand, and what price am I looking at?

pengipete

Rising Star
Only £4-£10 - maybe more if you buy one with a spare remote included. No recommendation but a quick look on Amazon turned up the SLX which is £4.05 - with free delivery - and 50odd five-star customer reviews.

I haven't used one but I've seen a few posts on the Digital Spy forums where people claim to have had issues with their Sky+HD boxes and magic-eyes and blame various versions of the Sky box's firmware. I don't think those few complaints mean too much given that there are thousands of people using magic eyes but worth checking online before buying.