Install PCI express card in vortex ii

dubs

I cant get the firewire on my new vortex II to work with my audio interface (Focusrite Saffire 56) so am thinking about trying to install a pci express card in it.

Having spoken to support they say this is not possible but I wonder if this is just because you dont stock the components oxr assemble them in that way.

So can I take out the DVD drive and use the space to put in a pci express card?, i used to reconfigure pc's many moons ago but never laptops but to me if I can find the space and a connection it seems logical that i should be to swap out components.

Obviously im loath to open the laptop up and look inside if this is going to be futile and will try and sell it but not ready to give up yet so any advice is much appreciated.

dubs

it looks like there is a pci-e buss inside being used for the graphics card, could i take the graphics card out and use that slot for a pci-e card?

any help would be really appreciated as ive spent close to £2500 on my set up so far and really really dont want to have to sell thr laptop and find another

iain_m

Ouch - sorry to hear that. I'm pretty sure that what you're describing is technically impossible, I'm afraid.

TBH the easiest thing at this point would be to sell the Saffire and get a good quality USB audio interface (e.g. RME Babyface).

The palaver of compatibility between laptops and firewire audio interfaces just isn't worth the headache, IMO.

dubs

thanks for the reply. i wont sell the saffire as it works brilliantly in my other setup so will have to sell the laptop.

cheers