Installing my gtx 770. How do I do it?

D1craig

Enthusiast
Well I just bought my got my gtx770. How do I install it? The thing only came with a guide for software install.

I have read something. That confused me so I am posting here for the advice now.

I have removed my 7850. Uninstalled the drivers. Using i7 gpu atm.

What cables do I have to plug into it? If I plug the wrong cable into it can it damage the gpu? Obviously not going to force something with a different connector.

As much detail as you can please. All my specs are in my siggy.

steaky360

It's really REALLY simple to install a graphics card you'll be delighted to hear :)

Ensure you're properly grounded (use an anti- static wristband or touch a bare metal part of your case before touching any components).

Basically, insert it into the PCI slot (which I won't detail, you must know how to do that if you removed the old one).

However just be gentle and you'll be fine.

You'll need 1x 8pin and 1x 6pin power connectors (I've checked the reference 770, just double check yours in case its different)
8 Pin
8-pin-connector.jpg

6 Pin
sku_28979_2.jpg

Plug them in and you'll be good to go!

You might need to use extra cables from your PSU to the graphics card depending on what the 7850 used :)

Last edited:

Outerarm

Your PSU isn't module so if you can't find a spare 8 pin cable coming out of the unit you may be in trouble... Can you check again?

steaky360

Your PSU is modular I believe (so if you look at the back of it, there are 'slots' for additional cables) you should have all the spare cables in your welcome pack (or with the PSU). There should be an 8-pin PCI connector in there somewhere. Sometimes the 8-pin plugs are 6-pins with 2 additional pins rather than one 8-pin block so you might have one if you look at the 6-pin connectors?

EDIT: According to Corsair's website your PSU has 2 PCI connectors, which are probably the 8-pin/6-pin hybrids http://www.corsair.com/en/tx-series-tx650-80-plus-bronze-certified-650-watt-high-performance-power-supply

pcie-connectors.jpg

Last edited:

D1craig

Enthusiast
The two 6pin ones have a 2pin dangling from them. Is it ok to use that? They fit and both say pcie on them.

EDIT - so I'm ready to try it now then?

D1craig

Enthusiast
thanx for all the help mate. i will have to upgrade in future i am thinking. new gpus may need new connectors anyway. it was a tight squeeze aswell had to put it in the case diagonally and the move it into position lmao.

the psu i think has all its slots used now lol so no sli for me in the future.

thanx again :)