Installing PSU

dani72

Silver Level Poster
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I recently got my PSU replaced under warranty by PCS. I'm trying to install it myself but it's not working correctly. There seems to be a loose cable (see below) and I'm not sure where it fits as I can't see a connector that matches it. Anybody know where it goes?

InsidePC.jpg
LooseCable.jpg

dani72

Silver Level Poster
This looks like the connector that plugs in with the cpu cooler?

Could be wrong.

That was it exactly. Thanks!

Unfortunately it hasn't solved the problem of the PC not powering up correctly. When I try to switch it on everything starts but I never get the beep that I usually hear and then it just switches off again. A few seconds later it comes back on and this keeps happening until I switch off the PSU.

I must have missed a connector or plugged something in wrong.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That was it exactly. Thanks!

Unfortunately it hasn't solved the problem of the PC not powering up correctly. When I try to switch it on everything starts but I never get the beep that I usually hear and then it just switches off again. A few seconds later it come back on and this keeps happening until I switch off the PSU.
You may need to reset the cmos, there’s possibly a button on the board which you hold for 5 seconds or so, or there will be a pen battery which you remove for a minute (while powered off).

D

Deleted member 103489

Also does computer power up without any display then powers down again but in costant cycle.

This may be your ram. if you have removed any ram sticks make sure thier seated properly.

They may look seated correctly but sometimes just 1 can cause the whole system to go crazy.

i have had similair issue with this to.

dani72

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for all your help folks. Unfortunately having tried every suggestion mentioned it still wont start up properly. This is what it looks like:

Maybe I'll just have to get someone more knowledgeable on PC's to have a look at it for me.

D

Deleted member 103489

Hmmm that's intresting one.

Seems like the power is not getting to the board properly? have you double checked to see if all cables are connected properly.. gpu, motherboard 24 pin etc and from the psu

Sorry this must be really frustrating for you :-(

dani72

Silver Level Poster
The motherboard is definitely getting power as the power button is lit (top right). It seems like it's stuck in a loop and that Red Flash is likely pointing to the potential cause.

So, on the Z390-Aorus Gaming motherboard, I would suspect the red light that flashes is coming from one of the Onboard Status LEDs (they are situated in the middle at the bottom)..unfortunately I can't tell what colour means what as the manual isn't clear. So, if you still have your motherboard manual, go to page 23 (Section 1-8 Onboard LEDs and Buttons)....you will see a diagram showing the 4 LEDs and which one is which...see if you can work out which one is flashing red. If you don't have the manual, you can find it here:

Z370 Aorus Motherboard manual

That was some great advice, thanks! According to the red LED light it's the CPU that's causing the problem. I'm not sure why that would be an issue as there is no connection to the CPU directly from the PSU and I haven't touched the CPU since I got the PC. I'll have to have another look at it tomorrow I guess.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That was some great advice, thanks! According to the red LED light it's the CPU that's causing the problem. I'm not sure why that would be an issue as there is no connection to the CPU directly from the PSU and I haven't touched the CPU since I got the PC. I'll have to have another look at it tomorrow I guess.
There is a CPU connector from the PSU, if that’s not connected that’s your issue, it’s usually in the top left of the board.