Installing Windows 10 with a Bootable USB

chairw

Hello,
I am trying to install windows 10 with a bootable usb. I go through the setup and click on custom installation and then nothing appears and it says “We couldn’t find any drives. To get a storage driver, Click load driver.”

The ISO I am using is for Windows 10 1709 FCU because I am trying to downgrade (For compatibility with certain apps) I don’t know if that is relevant but I might as well mention that just in case.

I did contact support but I am still waiting for a response so I thought I would post here and see if anyone could help me.

Thanks

Shepard

Enthusiast
Hi Charw,

take a look here:

chairw

Hi Charw,

take a look here:

I am trying to make a bootable usb with 1709 Fall Creators Update and the installation media tool only allows me to make a bootable usb with the latest version

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I am trying to make a bootable usb with 1709 Fall Creators Update and the installation media tool only allows me to make a bootable usb with the latest version
That's true, but why do you want to go back to such an old version? That makes no sense IMO if you have apps that won;t run on anything later then get new versions of the apps!

The reason it won't install is because your SSD/HDD are not installed properly. The message is telling you that the installer can't find anywhere to install Windows. Can you see your drives in the BIOS?

chairw

UPDATE: A few hours ago I found the right drivers and put them on the bootable usb and it works. Thanks anyways

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What drivers did you need to add? What disk do you have installed?

Your experience is quite unusual....

Lia

Hey,

I installed Windows 10 by these steps:
  1. 1.Open Windows 10 download page.
  2. 2. Under the "Create Windows 10 installation media" section, click the Download tool nowbutton to save the file on your device.
  3. 3. Double-click the MediaCreationToolxxxx.exefile to launch the tool.
    • 4. Click the Accept button to agree to the Microsoft terms.
    • 5. Select the Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PCoption.
    • 6. Click the Next button.
      • 7. Clear the Use the recommended options for this PC option (if applicable).
      • 8. Select the correct language, architecture, and edition of Windows 10.
      • 9. Click the Next button.
        10. Select the USB flash drive option.

I hope it will help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hey,

I installed Windows 10 by these steps:
  1. 1.Open Windows 10 download page.
  2. 2. Under the "Create Windows 10 installation media" section, click the Download tool nowbutton to save the file on your device.
  3. 3. Double-click the MediaCreationToolxxxx.exefile to launch the tool.
    • 4. Click the Accept button to agree to the Microsoft terms.
    • 5. Select the Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PCoption.
    • 6. Click the Next button.
      • 7. Clear the Use the recommended options for this PC option (if applicable).
      • 8. Select the correct language, architecture, and edition of Windows 10.
      • 9. Click the Next button.
        10. Select the USB flash drive option.

I hope it will help you.
Yes, that's the normal process. However, you said you had an issue with the installer not seeing your disk(s) and then said....
UPDATE: A few hours ago I found the right drivers and put them on the bootable usb and it works. Thanks anyways
My question is; what were the 'right drivers' that you had to put on the bootable USB to 'make it work'. I'd appreciate knowing in case it heps others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rakk

The Awesome
Yes, that's the normal process. However, you said you had an issue with the installer not seeing your disk(s) and then said....
That first response you quoted was not from the original poster :) The OP hasn't responded yet :)

chairw

My question is; what were the 'right drivers' that you had to put on the bootable USB to 'make it work'. I'd appreciate knowing in case it heps others.
I googled my motherboard and I found a page full of drivers and I tried the storage thing

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I googled my motherboard and I found a page full of drivers and I tried the storage thing
I appreciate that your problem is resolved, but for my education, could you post the full spec of your PC (from the configurator) and exactly which driver you needed to install? Also, what process did you use for installing Windows using this driver?

Your experience seems to be most unusual and I'd really like to understand what the problem was.... :)

chairw

When I found the right drivers, I made a folder on the bootable usb and put the drivers in it and then I selected the drivers when it asked me.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
When I found the right drivers, I made a folder on the bootable usb and put the drivers in it and then I selected the drivers when it asked me.

That's curious. That driver is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver, it's typically required with RAID and it also offers performance improvements for certain drives; see https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005610/technologies.html. I've never ever heard of it being a required driver for Windows installation.

Can you post the full spec of your PC please?