Intel 4th gen CPUs

wowcraftify

Gold Level Poster
I just saw the ad on pcs home page and rushed over here, anyone know anything about the new CPUs?

Btw I had no idea where to post this...

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
I just saw the ad on pcs home page and rushed over here, anyone know anything about the new CPUs?

They are the new 'Haswell' CPU's that have been coming for the last 6 months or so :)
They are the successors to Ivy Bridge

Yamikotai

Expert
To allow AMD to catch up?:whistling:
Haha, yeah. At least they kind of are. Intel really leapt ahead with Sandy Bridge and while AMD is still not caught up they are closer than they were when Sandy Bridge was their competition.

Frank100

Rising Star
Hi,

Haswell has seen improvements on the things home users do the most, particularly the way they utilise graphics cards. There are one or two areas where Haswell is slower than Ivy Bridge but these are in areas where users wanting those features are likely to buy a Xeon anyway. Unless you are doing hashing functions Haswell is slightly quicker and slightly greener too.

Ivy Bridge isn't done though. The existing i3/5/7 chips will still be available and the Xeon E5 series will go over to Ivy Bridge 'Enhanced' chips (from Sandy) late this year or early next year. The E3 chips are already here (denoted by v2 at the end of the name).