Intel Performance - 3DMark

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Would appreciate if anyone could chip in on this. Today I was involved in a thread regarding benchmarks etc. I did a comparison run but I was very curious about the results that I got as it seemed that my CPU was under-performing.

To investigate a little, I ran multiple checks which all showed a dramatic drop in CPU performance. To that end, I switched on my PCS laptop and put it through its paces..... only to find a SIGNIFICANT drop in performance there too.

If anyone reading this has prior result information of their current system..... could you re-run and see if your CPU results are similar. Clearly I'm Intel but it will be interesting to see if there's a drop in Intel performance without AMD taking the same sort of hit.

For reference in Fire Strike CPU Score:

9900k 5.0Ghz All-Core OC Jan 2019 - 26,109
9900k 5.0Ghz All-Core OC May 2020 - 24,423 (6.5% drop)

6700k 4.2Ghz All-Core OC 2016ish - 13,557
6700k 4.4Ghz All-Core OC May 2020 - 12,637 (6.8% drop)

Notice that my current OC is actually higher yet my score is still significantly less on the CPU.

Just to add, this is CPU score only. There's marginal difference in the GPU so their performance is pretty much exactly the same as it was before.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Would appreciate if anyone could chip in on this. Today I was involved in a thread regarding benchmarks etc. I did a comparison run but I was very curious about the results that I got as it seemed that my CPU was under-performing.

To investigate a little, I ran multiple checks which all showed a dramatic drop in CPU performance. To that end, I switched on my PCS laptop and put it through its paces..... only to find a SIGNIFICANT drop in performance there too.

If anyone reading this has prior result information of their current system..... could you re-run and see if your CPU results are similar. Clearly I'm Intel but it will be interesting to see if there's a drop in Intel performance without AMD taking the same sort of hit.

For reference in Fire Strike CPU Score:

9900k 5.0Ghz All-Core OC Jan 2019 - 26,109
9900k 5.0Ghz All-Core OC May 2020 - 24,423 (6.5% drop)

6700k 4.2Ghz All-Core OC 2016ish - 13,557
6700k 4.4Ghz All-Core OC May 2020 - 12,637 (6.8% drop)

Notice that my current OC is actually higher yet my score is still significantly less on the CPU.

Just to add, this is CPU score only. There's marginal difference in the GPU so their performance is pretty much exactly the same as it was before.
Are you thinking this is a security patch recently rolled out in windows updates?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Are you thinking this is a security patch recently rolled out in windows updates?

I'm definitely thinking it's something along those lines. Unfortunately it's not something I check very often so I have no idea at which point it has gone south.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Soooo...... the goal-posts have indeed moved with the security issues!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Soooo...... the goal-posts have indeed moved with the security issues!

Wow.... I assumed the affect on home users would be far less than other scenarios, but that is a significant drop! 7%!

Good catch on that, if you hadn't had historic benchmark results, that would have likely gone completely missed!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Wow.... I assumed the affect on home users would be far less than other scenarios, but that is a significant drop! 7%!

Good catch on that, if you hadn't had historic benchmark results, that would have likely gone completely missed!

Not half. I haven't noticed anything in gaming but I could really use that 7% in VR to be honest.

I would be really interested to know if AMD have taken much of a performance hit. My guess is most people tend not to bother re-visiting their setups that often.

I might see if I can get a hold of an old Win10 image and do some investigation. Will keep that up my sleeve for if I go back onto furlough :D

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just removed the protection......

Score on the laptop is back to where it should be 13,546. Just about to try the desktop.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
What do you mean “protection”?

Windows defender?

Or one of the security bulletins?

I disabled the Spectre and Meltdown protection. Bumped the performance right back where it should be.

Just ran the desktop Firestrike physics test..... 25,893 - Not quite there on the 9900k but MILES closer than before.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I disabled the Spectre and Meltdown protection. Bumped the performance right back where it should be.

Just ran the desktop Firestrike physics test..... 25,893 - Not quite there on the 9900k but MILES closer than before.
How do you specifically disable the vulnerability protection? I didn't realise you could do that, thought it was hard baked into the OS.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
How do you specifically disable the vulnerability protection? I didn't realise you could do that, thought it was hard baked into the OS.

Ach there's always ways around these things. I'll PM you as I don't want to be responsible for any mishaps haha.

I just ran a full Firestrike test and hit 26191 on the Physics test..... that's it back exactly where it was.

25756 is the overall score (30720 on the GPU) so looks around what I got when I first built it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ach there's always ways around these things. I'll PM you as I don't want to be responsible for any mishaps haha.

I just ran a full Firestrike test and hit 26191 on the Physics test..... that's it back exactly where it was.

25756 is the overall score (30720 on the GPU) so looks around what I got when I first built it.
Appreciate that, that would be really interesting to know. And yes, very likely best not to post publicly.