Intels upcoming i9 extreme series

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
But will it run Cr.. nvm.

It seems more like Intel are worried about AMD and responding to the Threadripper lineup. Will be very interesting to see the pricing this time around vs how it was with Broadwell-E

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
But will it run Cr.. nvm.

It seems more like Intel are worried about AMD and responding to the Threadripper lineup. Will be very interesting to see the pricing this time around vs how it was with Broadwell-E

I think you're right, I don't think they would have even thought about releasing these so soon if it wasn't for Threadripper. Thank god AMD are putting some pressure on them again, good for us!

Is it possible that the release of these will bring down the normal i7 prices?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'm not sure. I hadn't expected it would, since Ryzen didn't really either. Perhaps the weird 4c/4t and 4c/8t CPUs they're releasing for this platform will have some effect on Kaby Lake pricing, though I doubt it.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Skylake X.png
https://videocardz.com/70005/intel-launches-core-x-series-with-up-to-18-cores-for-1999-usd

Vs:
Intel-Broadwell-E-i7-69XX-68XX-4-900x506.jpg

I guess that's what a bit of competition must look like. Particularly the 7820x vs 6900k or 6850k. Serious PCI-E lane slicing though.

Apparently they won't be soldered.... https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...x_and_kaby_lake-x_cpus_will_not_be_soldered/1

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
View attachment 10321
https://videocardz.com/70005/intel-launches-core-x-series-with-up-to-18-cores-for-1999-usd

Vs:
View attachment 10322

I guess that's what a bit of competition must look like. Particularly the 7820x vs 6900k or 6850k. Serious PCI-E lane slicing though.

Apparently they won't be soldered.... https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...x_and_kaby_lake-x_cpus_will_not_be_soldered/1

That seems a bit of a silly move on intels part. These cpu's will be a cluster servers wet dream but not if you have to delid each one, they're limiting their market to extreme enthusiasts, business won't go near them.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
A delidding video with Gamers Nexus and Der8auer: http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/2936-intel-i9-7900x-delidding-cpu-package-thermal-paste

Apparently requires quite a lot of force.

Also:
There appears to be an RFID chip in the corner of the Intel i9-7900X that we looked at, which would lead us to believe that the chip is capable of storing user information. Der8auer’s theory is that this could be used to store user overclock data, e.g. maximum stable OC. Such a chip could also be used for RMA processes, theoretically.
The RMA bit isn't mentioned in the video as far as I remember, but I was thinking that when they said about storing overclock information...

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I think AMD will price the Threadrippers very aggressively compared to these. If you are buying one of these you want more cores, and the answer to more cores for your money has been Ryzen since its release or a Xeon.

mishra

Rising Star
Man I'm really enjoying my popcorn while watching all these tech news. In relatively short period of time we not only have amazing CPU range from AMD, but we finally see some movement on Intel counterpart. I mean brand new i9 line! Who would have thought?! I know it smell of simple re-brand and unlock of their Xeon range - but I don't mind that at all. I want AMD and Intel to go on all out feature/price war! There has been more tech innovation/news in past 2 months that it has been over past 5 years! It's so refreshing to watch this.

Could it finally be the time when 2 and 4 cores will simply not be enough. I mean we all know that increasing clock frequency is not the way forward. Physics is the limit, so having more cores is the way forward not only for enterprise environment but also for home rig's too, especially with advent of 4K and VR.
Oh truly amazing times we live in and I was so bored of it only just a year ago :rockon:

mishra

Rising Star
update: Is there something wrong with forum? I've just made a post which doesn't appear. I've tried to re-post again but it says it's a duplicate post! Wonder if this post will show?
update2: Hmm this one is showing up fine, eh... I'll leave it for mods. If my post can't be retrieved... then, maybe it wasn't meant to be seen. cba to type it again ^^

Rakk

The Awesome
No, there was no link in it. Only thing that was different was the use of one of the forum emoji. Ill try it again in this post to see if it works...

Every-so-often the auto-moderation tool just picks on posts/people, it was just waiting to be moderated - it should be visible again now :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
For the moment at least, 4k and VR don't seem to be the driving force for more cores being used. Users on this forum seem to report VR benefitting disproportionately from CPU frequency, presumably due to the higher FPS required, while 4k is where you get GPU bound anyway and it seems to matter proportionately less what CPU you have vs other resolutions. Certainly VR relies more on frequency at the moment because it's basically a 'scaled up' version of the general gaming situation.

But I think it's going to be a "put the chicken in the oven to roast and come back later" kind of event rather than a popcorn one.

Ryzen + the lower end of Skylake-X does mean cheaper home media servers where you can transcode FHD media on the fly at high quality, and would really fuel streaming. And perhaps foreshadows Intel releasing 6 core CPUs into the consumer lineup, what with a 6 core not costing much more than a 7700k.