Intel's upgrade scheme: Your thoughts?

Gishank

Bright Spark
I think it is a retarded money grabbing scheme which sadly isn't surprising.. It will merely feed AMD.

Gorman

Author Level
According to the report the add on card is adding physical features, not merely unlocking them.

It is an odd idea which doesnt really have a place though.

Shibin

Enthusiast
The card just unlocks the cores,but on the site it says you can hack and unlock the cores yourself :/. So good computer guys should be able to do this right ?

Kalisnoir

Super Star
On the report I read a few days ago it did say it was just a locked down chip and that it wouldn't be a physical unlock, merely just a change of bios.

rocknroll

Bronze Level Poster
there trying to make themselves look good value to budget buyers.
this i a low end chip so the system will be a cheaper end model.
Then they offer this to you as you know nothing cos you bought a cheap system.
And you think you've had a good deal as it will be marketed like getting a new cpu for your system without having to change the chip.
clever marketing from Intel.
Plus i don't feel sorry for any dummy that falls for it.

Gorman

Author Level
The article suggested to me that the add in card was adding cache to the CPU and HT capability. If the card is simply enabling an unlock of cores etc, why do you need the card?, surely a software solution would be cheaper for Intel.

I am going to go with my original presumption that the add on card is adding features to what is essentially a bargain bin CPU.

Its all a bit meh really, i cant see it taking off.

And as for the AMD comments, you can unlock extra cores for one reason only. AMD disabled them due to a design flaw as they had errors. The original Phenom etc was a quad core CPU, AMD goofed and had to cut it to 3 to make it work.

Intel have always and probably always will be the more expensive option.

If Intel didnt "overcharge" AMD would go out of business, its as simple as that, they each have their own markets.