Intend buying new PC before xmas. Could somebody check spec for me. Advice welcome!

ianwhi

Case
COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE + 2 FRONT USB
Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X4 955 (3.20GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION
Motherboard
ASUS® M4A87TD/USB3: DUAL DDR3,SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply & Case Cooling
600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£59)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options
4 PORT USB 2.0 INTERNAL PCI CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £777.00 including VAT and delivery.

Thanks

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Get a caviar green HDD instead of the standard one to load programs faster. AMD is going to start releasing some of its 6000 series cards in the next month or so and the first ones to be released are supposed to be knocking the GTX460 from its position in the market so you might be better changing the GPU when this happens.

Meds

Yeah, the spec looks good. But don't have this set in stone as a lot can happen in 2 months with new hardware releases etc :D

Tom DWC

A very balanced spec with good choice of case. Phoenix makes a good point about the ATI 6000 series and if you're going to be holding off for a bit anyway then this could work out well for you.

I wouldn't hold off especially though - arguably there's never a 'good' time to buy a new computer as something better is nearly always being released.

(That's great as far as I'm concerned and if you look at it that way, it's always a 'good' time to buy a computer!) :D

Last edited:

ianwhi

Thanks for the advice everybody. First time buying my own spec so all advice very welcome.
I,m thinking that newer cards might mean more expensive? Already slightly over budget even though the kids are nagging me!!!

JSG10

Expert
Switch to a Green caviar hdd, standard cpu cooling instead of copper heatpipe and possibly switch the fan to a corsair instead?
Its very easy to go over budget, I know I have but I'm doing it on finance, maybe worth looking into yourself? No interest so long as you pay off before time. :)

Meds

I,m thinking that newer cards might mean more expensive? Already slightly over budget even though the kids are nagging me!!!

Not necessarily no. They will launch GPUs in similar price brackets as current models.

ianwhi

Thanks again for everybody's input. I should add that it is would be well used . My previous PC was a Mesh and was on 22 hours a day at weekends between myself and the kids!. Lasted four years before keeling over!

ianwhi

Hi people its been a while but finally ordered my new pc! Changed the spec slightly. Using ATI Radeon 6870 and caviar green 640g hard drive. Price £780.60 with discount voucher from PC Advisor!! Again thanks for everyones input.

ianwhi

All turned up last week. Very impressed. Turned up on time even though i was expecting a delay due to the time of year. All working perfectly. Thanks very much to all at PCS. I posted a thank you on the pc advisor consumer watch as well.