Internet Speed And Gaming

Jordyshaw

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys, I would like anyone to enlighten me on internet speed in online gaming, such as lag/ping ... minimum speeds and recommended speeds. How how badly it can affect online gaming?

Thanks

Rakk

The Awesome
The most important thing for online gaming is actually stability.
I've played MMO's for ages now, and they were perfectly fine on a 10meg connection (I've just upgraded from that, but that was cos it was only an extra 3 quid to get 60meg), probably would've been perfectly fine on a lesser speed as well.

heza121

Silver Level Poster
We have awful internet in our house, Dad refuses to upgrade our internet, but we are currently getting 2meg download and around 0.5meg upload (Good old TalkTalk ) and gaming wise, its not great. I get lag on most games I play, almost unbearable on bad days :/

Kalisnoir

Super Star
So to give a more accurate reply, anything below 100~ ping/latency should be more than acceptable, 200ms~ and your really starting to push your luck. Your ping/latency is how long it takes to send information from your computer, to the server and then back so its very important. Ping isn't the only thing that effects online play however, you could have the best ping in the world but if you have a high jitter and/or aren't sending all of your packets then you will equally have a bad experience online.

http://www.pingtest.net/

Use that to check what your quality of connection is.

Jordyshaw

Bronze Level Poster
thanks so much for your replies guys, learn something new everyday ay! ill have to run that pingtest soon when I'm back on my pc, also my speed is up to 10mb cut usually stays about 6-8mb.

Jordyshaw

Bronze Level Poster
So to give a more accurate reply, anything below 100~ ping/latency should be more than acceptable, 200ms~ and your really starting to push your luck. Your ping/latency is how long it takes to send information from your computer, to the server and then back so its very important. Ping isn't the only thing that effects online play however, you could have the best ping in the world but if you have a high jitter and/or aren't sending all of your packets then you will equally have a bad experience online.

http://www.pingtest.net/

Use that to check what your quality of connection is.

ping result was ranging 45-55 ping and around 2-15 jitter. changes a lot but the grade seems to be a "B"

Last edited:

Kalisnoir

Super Star
ping result was ranging 45-55 ping and around 2-15 jitter. changes a lot but the grade seems to be a "B"

The actual ping you get is mostly obsolete on that given that the server could be anywhere when your gaming as opposed to the one the site picks (it picks the closest one to you). The jitter is good though and I assume all your packets went through? Since all of that is fine it only really boils down to what ping you get on the server your playing on, as I said 100ms~ (or less) and you probably wouldn't notice anything although these days most players seem to be around 50ms~ (unless your on a server in America obviously).