Into the Vortex...

TotalWar

Hey guys,

I am looking to get the Vortex II 17.3 laptop, but having never owned a top-spec machine before I am not quite sure as to the requirements for the best current games out there. Maybe some of you can help me out, would be much obliged. I've spent the last week researching gaming laptops pretty much from scratch, and having initially opted for Alienware m14x I realised that true value comes from these customised computer companies. Aesthetics and brandname is not at all important to me anyway.

Essentially, my question is this, what is the cheapest configuration available for the Vortex that will still allow you to play all current gaming titles, from Crysis II to Battlefield Earth. I'm not really interested in bragging rights, just want the necessary specs to play some of the best games available and it seems that getting all the top specs is just overload.

My budget is around £1200-1500. And it seems that in order to fit into this budget, the main choices have to be made between processors and graphics cards.

Also, if anyone could answer a few of these other Qs, I would be grateful:

Which of the parts are upgradeable? I know that the processor is not, but I believe most of the other sets are?

Anyone who has already bought this laptop, how reflective/annoying is the glossy screen on offer? It really is a shame there is no matte version available.

Finally, the other laptop I had in mind was the np8150-s1 from xoticpc, at roughly the same customised spec, how different is this machine from the Vortex? As i understand it, the essential base of the laptop is very similar. Of course, at the highest specs the np8150s1 is way more powerful, but since i want the budget end I dont think these two machines are that different? (Vortex being preferred primarily because of the otherwise huge US shipping/tax fees)

Many thanks guys, appreciate any feedback.

doomaxe

on vortex 2 cpu, graphic are upgradable. i would point for 2720qm cpu and top graphic 485 so you will be armed for 2 years otherwise you can send less, save few hundreds but you will have to splash money much sooner on new laptop or upgrade.

MrShteeeve

The spec below is the best for your needs without going over budget.

The processor and gpu are NOT upgradable as they are part of the motherboard once built by PCS. HDD/RAM/WLAN IS upgradable. The GTX470M is a fair step up in price for only 14% performance increase so stick with the GTX460M and gone for the higher spec processor.

Chassis & Display
Vortex II-17: 17.3" Full HD LED Backlit 16:9 Widescreen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glossy
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2820QM (2.30GHz) 8MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
1.5GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M - DirectX® 11 (17.3" Vortex II)
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 3 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & INTEL® CENTRINO® ADVANCED-N 6230 inc BLUETOOTH
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (3,800 mAh)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,491.00 including VAT and delivery.

TotalWar

Thank you for the help. Out of interest, in the above configuration you added a second hard disk. What does a second hard disk do and why does it help in playing games? Sorry, if this sounds a little dim.

MrShteeeve

The first HDD has a larger cache which will aid in loading things faster, while the 2nd drive is for storage etc. You'll generally speaking get better performance from two smaller drives compared to one large one.