Introducing myself

Flembot

Hi I’m a new member on this forum and thought I’d drop in and introduce myself. I’m from Belfast and I’m a big fan of GTA.

I’ve been running GTA V on a rather under resourced machine. I want to upgrade to massively improve my FPS etc.

my current machine is:
AMD Phenom x4 965 Black Edition 3.4ghz
8gb ram
Nvidia GeForce 680 2GB.
SSD
Sell U2515

So it’s somewhat dreadful to play GTA V online with ...

I’m considering building a new PC so I can achieve a reasonably high frame rate ... at least 60fps but wouldn’t mind 80 FPS

I’d preferably like to build with GTA VI in mind. I know we don’t know for sure when that will be released , but I’d like to future proof if my budget can stretch that far. Or at least upgrade later

I’d really appreciate all advise on this.
I presume AMD is the way forward here ...

Stephen M

Author Level
Welcome along, you will certainly get some good advice here, although from those more knowledgeable than I.

The best advice at the moment is if you are ok to wait a month or more that is a very good option. Covid-19 and Brexit have created a mass of problems and this has pushed component prices sky high.

There are some threads here, all stickies, which give basic advice, have a look at those then post when you want to order.

Main things are maximum budget and what monitor you have, or want to use, that helps to choose right GPU.

In the meantime, getting some build ideas and watching prices is the best way forward .

MrWilson

Godlike
Hello there, and welcome to the forums.

As Stephen said, now is really not a good time to be buying a PC, if you can afford to wait we would recommend, as you will likely be getting a lot more bang for your buck in a couple of months compared to now.

When you do decide it's time, head over to 'Check this spec!' and have a quick peruse through the stickies, there's quite a lot of information to absorb but it helps us help you optimise your build, and it helps you understand the rationale behind our amendments.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Welcome to the forums, very nice to have you here!

You could definitely benefit from an upgrade, I feel your pain!

Flembot

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
Interesting! I wasn’t aware that the end of the Brexit transition period was causing issues for PC components. I’ll certainly bear that in mind. I am happy to wait a few more months. I’m sure it’ll all come good soon once the supply lines reorganise themselves a bit more.

As you can see from my initial post, my PC is well due an upgrade!

Stephen M

Author Level
One way you will be able to save a bit is to transfer Windows to your new machine and if you want to keep the old one going there are some lightweight Linux distros designed for older hardware.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
Interesting! I wasn’t aware that the end of the Brexit transition period was causing issues for PC components. I’ll certainly bear that in mind. I am happy to wait a few more months. I’m sure it’ll all come good soon once the supply lines reorganise themselves a bit more.

As you can see from my initial post, my PC is well due an upgrade!
In the next few months of waiting can increase your budget :) saving those pennys !!!
images (41).jpeg