Ionico 17.3 to two monitors via USB-C docking station

ArtHus

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone can offer some help on the issue I'm having when trying to extend my screen to two external monitors.

I have bought a docking station and intend to connect one monitor HDMI to VGA and VGA to VGA. The docking station plugs in via the USB-C port. The USB-C on my laptop i believe supports DP 1.4 so it should be capable but I can't seem to get it working.

The dock when connected works as it should, all other ports have been tried and tested. The device manager and devices in settings show a Generic Billboard Device, which sort of leads me to the conclusion that the docks external display capability has been acknowledged so its either the laptop USB-C incompatibility or perhaps the cables and/or monitors are incompatible. I have tested on the two Dell monitors and two TVs none of them display anything. I have tried with the mux switch on and off too.

Have any other Ionico 17.3 user successfully connected to external displays via the USB-C port?

My Laptop is running the Ryzen 9 with the 3070 gpu.

Detailed Specification
Dimensions & Weight
Dimensions (w x d x h)394mm x 260.8mm x 20mm
Weight2.3 kg
ColourGrey
Chipset
Processor SupportIntel® Core™ or AMD® Ryzen™ CPUs
Memory
Memory TypeSupports DDR4 2933MHz
Number of Modules2 x Modules
Maximum Supported Memory64GB
Hard Drive Capacity
M.2 Port2 x M.2 PCIe Ports
Display & Graphics
GraphicsChoice of graphics cards - refer to configurator.
Screen Size17.3 inch Widescreen
Native/Maximum Resolution2560 x 1440
Refresh Rate165 Hz
NTSCSRGB 100%
Audio
ChipsetHigh Definition Audio
Channels2 channel HD Audio
ConnectionsMicrophone-in and headphone-out
Speakers2 x 2W Stereo Speakers
Integrated MicrophoneYes
Communications
LAN2.5 Gigabit Ethernet
Wireless SupportWireless LAN 802.11ax/ac/b/g/n (M.2 Interface)
Bluetooth SupportBluetooth V5.0 module support
Keyboard & Mouse
Keys4 zone RGB backlit keyboard
Language SupportMulti-Language support
Pointing Device | Touchpad MouseTouchpad Pointing Device with left/right click
Backlit KeyboardYes
Memory Card Reader
Memory Card Reader3-in-1 Card Reader (Micro SD/SDHC/SDXC)
Ports
LAN1 x RJ-45 jack
USB1 x USB 3.2 Gen2 Type C Port (TBT4 with Intel® Core™ Processors), 1 x USB 3.2 Gen2 Port, 2 x USB 3.2 Gen1 Ports
Display1 x HDMI, 1 x DP 1.2 via USB-C
Microphone-IN1
Headphone-OUT1
DC-in1
Webcam
Webcam1.0 MP Infrared Webcam
Battery & Power Lead
Battery Capacity6 Cell Lithium-Ion battery (91.24WH)
Typical Battery LifeUp to 5 Hours
Battery TypeIntegrated
Power Lead & AC Adpater1 x Power Lead included with AC Adapter
Security
Kensington LockYes

ArtHus

Chassis & DisplayIonico Series: 17.3" Matte QHD 165Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen™ 9 Eight Core Processor 5900HX (3.3GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair 2933MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
BatteryIonico Series Integrated 91WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 M.2 GAMING + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard LanguageIONICO 17 SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Chassis & DisplayIonico Series: 17.3" Matte QHD 165Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen™ 9 Eight Core Processor 5900HX (3.3GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair 2933MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
BatteryIonico Series Integrated 91WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 M.2 GAMING + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard LanguageIONICO 17 SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
It states in the system requirements of the docking station that the USB C port must support "Display Port Alternate Mode" or Thunderbolt 3 or 4.

We know it's not thunderbolt as AMD chipsets don't currently support Thunderbolt.

According to the detailed specifications you posted, it's DP 1.2 over USB C, not 1.4.

I would clarify that with PCS.

ArtHus

Sorry the 1.4 was an error on my part, I did mean DP 1.2.

With that being said it leads me to question if the USB-C port does support DP 1.2 does it support DisplayPort Alternate Mode which is what the dock need requires. This is an assumption made from reading online that DP 1.2 and DP Alternate Mode are separate technologies?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry the 1.4 was an error on my part, I did mean DP 1.2.

With that being said it leads me to question if the USB-C port does support DP 1.2 does it support DisplayPort Alternate Mode which is what the dock need requires. This is an assumption made from reading online that DP 1.2 and DP Alternate Mode are separate technologies?
That I can't answer, you'd need to ask PCS

ArtHus

I messaged them this morning but have since updated the message to determine if Display Port Alternate Mode is supported. Will update the thread with their response.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I messaged them this morning but have since updated the message to determine if Display Port Alternate Mode is supported. Will update the thread with their response.
I wouldn't message, takes about a week for a response, just pick up the phone.

ArtHus

I wouldn't message, takes about a week for a response, just pick up the phone.
I usually message or email, so I have responses in writing, but in the interest of getting a quick response I have called them.

I explained to the agent the issue I am experiencing and he has firstly confirmed the laptop's USB-C does support DP 1.2 so that is a positive.

I then explained the issue regarding the dock and the DisplayPort Alternate Mode theory. The agent explained that in simple terms DP Alternate Mode was something that allows the laptop to connect directly to a monitor via the USB-C port without the need for a dock.

I am still unsure if all USB-C ports that support DP 1.2 support DisplayPort Alternate Mode.

The agent suggested I use a USB-C to VGA/HDMI cable to test the port is working. I will have to purchase this cable to test it.

To be honest I'm not sure if I'm satisfied with the response.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I usually message or email, so I have responses in writing, but in the interest of getting a quick response I have called them.

I explained to the agent the issue I am experiencing and he has firstly confirmed the laptop's USB-C does support DP 1.2 so that is a positive.

I then explained the issue regarding the dock and the DisplayPort Alternate Mode theory. The agent explained that in simple terms DP Alternate Mode was something that allows the laptop to connect directly to a monitor via the USB-C port without the need for a dock.

I am still unsure if all USB-C ports that support DP 1.2 support DisplayPort Alternate Mode.

The agent suggested I use a USB-C to VGA/HDMI cable to test the port is working. I will have to purchase this cable to test it.

To be honest I'm not sure if I'm satisfied with the response.
I would just try the DisplayLink driver I linked.

ArtHus

just installed the drivers and the app from the Microsoft Store, but it still does not recognise the monitors attached to the dock.

ArtHus

it gives you the option to install the Display Port app from the microsoft store. Its called Display Link Manager.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
it gives you the option to install the Display Port app from the microsoft store. Its called Display Link Manager.
Yeah, sorry, saw that after I'd posted.

I have no idea then, I'm guessing the dock isn't compatible but why I couldn't say.

ArtHus

1631964852403.png