Ionico 17 Intel/RTX 3080 - DisplayPort over USB-C not working

leobie

Dear community,

On my Ionico 17" with Intel i7-11800H and RTX 3080, I cannot get DisplayPort over USB-C to work. I can hook up an external monitor through HDMI just fine, but not through USB-C. I have tried several different recommended USB-C to DisplayPort adapters, I have also tried installing the DisplayLink driver, and I have switched between discrete GPU and mixed mode. Nothing has helped. I am not sure whether this is a hardware or software issue. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Leo

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dear community,
does n

On my Ionico 17" with Intel i7-10800H and RTX 3080, I cannot get DisplayPort over USB-C to work. I can hook up an external monitor through HDMI just fine, but not through USB-C. I have tried several different recommended USB-C to DisplayPort adapters, I have also tried installing the DisplayLink driver, and I have switched between discrete GPU and mixed mode. Nothing has helped. I am not sure whether this is a hardware or software issue. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Leo
Hiya, could you post your full specs from the order page?

leobie

Sure, here they are:

Auftragsreferenz anzeigen 2124406
Gehäuse & DisplayIonico-Serie: 17,3"-QHD 165 Hz sRGB 100 % LED-Widescreen, matt (2560 x 1440)
Prozessor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 8 Core 11800H (2,4 GHz, 4,6 GHz Turbo)
Arbeitsspeicher32 GB Corsair 2666 MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16 GB)
GrafikkarteNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3080 – 16,0 GB GDDR6-Video-RAM – DirectX® 12,1
1. M.2 SSD-Laufwerk2 TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (bis zu 3500 MB/sR | 2700 MB/sW)
SpeicherkartenleserIntegrierter Micro-SD-Speicherkartenleser
AC-Adapter1 x Netzteil 230 W
Netzteilstromkabel1 x europäisches Netzkabel, 1 Meter (SchuKo Stecker)
BatterieIntegrierter Lithium-Ionen-Akku der Serie Ionico (91 Wh)
WärmeleitpasteARCTIC MX-4-EXTREME-KOMPONENTE FÜR EXTREME WÄRMELEITFÄHIGKEIT
Soundkarte2-Kanal-High-Definition-Audio + Mikrofon-/Kopfhörerbuchse
Bluetooth & DrahtlosGIGABIT-LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2,4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB-/Thunderbolt-Optionen1 x USB 3.2-ANSCHLUSS (Typ C), 3 x USB 3.2-ANSCHLÜSSE
TastaturspracheDEUTSCHE RGB-TASTATUR MIT HINTERGRUNDBELEUCHTUNG DER IONICO 17-SERIE

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sure, here they are:

Auftragsreferenz anzeigen 2124406
Gehäuse & DisplayIonico-Serie: 17,3"-QHD 165 Hz sRGB 100 % LED-Widescreen, matt (2560 x 1440)
Prozessor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 8 Core 11800H (2,4 GHz, 4,6 GHz Turbo)
Arbeitsspeicher32 GB Corsair 2666 MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16 GB)
GrafikkarteNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3080 – 16,0 GB GDDR6-Video-RAM – DirectX® 12,1
1. M.2 SSD-Laufwerk2 TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (bis zu 3500 MB/sR | 2700 MB/sW)
SpeicherkartenleserIntegrierter Micro-SD-Speicherkartenleser
AC-Adapter1 x Netzteil 230 W
Netzteilstromkabel1 x europäisches Netzkabel, 1 Meter (SchuKo Stecker)
BatterieIntegrierter Lithium-Ionen-Akku der Serie Ionico (91 Wh)
WärmeleitpasteARCTIC MX-4-EXTREME-KOMPONENTE FÜR EXTREME WÄRMELEITFÄHIGKEIT
Soundkarte2-Kanal-High-Definition-Audio + Mikrofon-/Kopfhörerbuchse
Bluetooth & DrahtlosGIGABIT-LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2,4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB-/Thunderbolt-Optionen1 x USB 3.2-ANSCHLUSS (Typ C), 3 x USB 3.2-ANSCHLÜSSE
TastaturspracheDEUTSCHE RGB-TASTATUR MIT HINTERGRUNDBELEUCHTUNG DER IONICO 17-SERIE
Did you order with windows or without? Please always post full specs, saves back and forth :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have kept it and obtained a key, but have since upgraded to Win 11.
That may well be the issue then. The test OS isn't configured, it uses generic drivers just to stress test the machine and won't work properly.

You need to clean install the latest image from microsoft.

leobie

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean by "fully configure Windows as normal". These days, Windows gets most all drivers by itself, and everything else is working fine with my laptop. If there are specific drivers required to make DP over USB-C work, I'd rather try and install them first before doing a clean reinstall with all the hassle that brings with it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean by "fully configure Windows as normal". These days, Windows gets most all drivers by itself, and everything else is working fine with my laptop. If there are specific drivers required to make DP over USB-C work, I'd rather try and install them first before doing a clean reinstall with all the hassle that brings with it.
It's all drivers. The OS isn't configured, there's no requirement of it to be for testing as already explained.

You would need to clean install your own copy and fully configure drivers and management drivers.

It's up to you, carry on as you are and troubleshoot the USB C, but you'll find you won't have full performance of the machine and you'll tend to get various BSOD's as well when throttling it.

But it's entirely up to you what you want out of the machine.

FredTA

Dear community,

On my Ionico 17" with Intel i7-11800H and RTX 3080, I cannot get DisplayPort over USB-C to work. I can hook up an external monitor through HDMI just fine, but not through USB-C. I have tried several different recommended USB-C to DisplayPort adapters, I have also tried installing the DisplayLink driver, and I have switched between discrete GPU and mixed mode. Nothing has helped. I am not sure whether this is a hardware or software issue. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Leo

Hey Leo,

I'm having the exact same problem as you, on pretty much the same machine (Ionico 17'' - similar specs), did you ever have any luck in figuring this out? It doesn't really seem like you found all that much support in this thread (personally I don't see how the need to manually reconfigure a fresh install of windows is "obvious" at all), did you end up having to completely reinstall / reconfig your OS, or were you able to fix just the one USB-C driver?

All the best,
Fred

FredTA

Figured it out! You gotta go into the UEFI settings and change the GPU mode to switchable/dynamic, rather than dGPU only, presumably because this USB-C port is coming out of the motherboard rather than the GPU, no OS reinstallations required :)

Last edited:

leobie

Well, that is what I figured out as well. It seems that DP over USB-C does in fact work, but contrary to what the specs claim, the port is linked to the Intel IGP and not directly to the nVidia GPU. Thus, it ONLY works in dynamic mode. In my specific case, I was trying to connect a VR headset, which needs direct connection to the nVidia GPU and did not work with any USB-C to DP adapter obviously. I did get an external display to run, but that did not help my case. Fair warning to everyone, these notebooks are NOT VR ready because of this, which is a shame, given the powerful GPU.

FredTA

Well, that is what I figured out as well. It seems that DP over USB-C does in fact work, but contrary to what the specs claim, the port is linked to the Intel IGP and not directly to the nVidia GPU. Thus, it ONLY works in dynamic mode. In my specific case, I was trying to connect a VR headset, which needs direct connection to the nVidia GPU and did not work with any USB-C to DP adapter obviously. I did get an external display to run, but that did not help my case. Fair warning to everyone, these notebooks are NOT VR ready because of this, which is a shame, given the powerful GPU.
Bugger, I'm seeing the same thing with my RiftS :/
Do you think there's any reason a display port -> HDMI adapter wouldn't work? Then you could plug the VR headset's DP cable into the GPU's HDMI port?

FredTA

Ah apparently the RIftS doesn't like DP -> HDMI adapters either, that's a real shame, since the 3080 does have DP out, I guess the laptop chassis just wasn't built for it? Seems like a real limitation :/

leobie

Heya mate, I was also trying to connect a Rift S .... perhaps VR does work with an Oculus Quest 2 over native USB-C? Or with one of the older headsets that use native HDMI, as the HDMI port DOES connect directly to the dGPU

Hi all, hopefully this will help some people. I bought this HDMI 2.1 to DP 1.4 convertor for my 49inch wide screen monitor 120hz, by using this cable i was able to get the full res and refresh rate on my monitor. It works a charm.

HDMI 2.1 to DP 1.4 cable