Ionico 17 rtx3070 Review

colesy606

New Ionico 17 rtx 3070. Bought the laptop to upgrade my old skyfire 15 with a gtx 870m.
It's an amazing piece of kit. Firstly, I was a little concerned regarding the power specification of the rtx 3070 gpu as there wasn't information about the power draw. Well, it's a fully fledged 140W beast with a max boost clock of 1905MHz! Try and find an rtx 3070 laptopwith a higher output. That's better than I've been reading about elsewhere. I measured this in game with cpu-z.
The screen is bright with no flickering and runs modern games at 1440p with little issue.
It has some nice features, e.g. you can select office mode or gaming mode with the push of a button and that helps keep it nice and quiet if working rather than gaming.
The only drawbacks are that i) the fans are loud under full load, when I'm gaming I use a headset anyway so no problem for me ii) the chasis gets hot after a while but I just made a little prop out of the cardboard my old skyfire came in several years ago and use it to keep my legs away from the chasis.
This is a powerful laptop for gaming and amazing value for the price.
If you are worried about the gpu power configuration then don't be, this thing is amazing.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
New Ionico 17 rtx 3070. Bought the laptop to upgrade my old skyfire 15 with a gtx 870m.
It's an amazing piece of kit. Firstly, I was a little concerned regarding the power specification of the rtx 3070 gpu as there wasn't information about the power draw. Well, it's a fully fledged 140W beast with a max boost clock of 1905MHz! Try and find an rtx 3070 laptopwith a higher output. That's better than I've been reading about elsewhere. I measured this in game with cpu-z.
The screen is bright with no flickering and runs modern games at 1440p with little issue.
It has some nice features, e.g. you can select office mode or gaming mode with the push of a button and that helps keep it nice and quiet if working rather than gaming.
The only drawbacks are that i) the fans are loud under full load, when I'm gaming I use a headset anyway so no problem for me ii) the chasis gets hot after a while but I just made a little prop out of the cardboard my old skyfire came in several years ago and use it to keep my legs away from the chasis.
This is a powerful laptop for gaming and amazing value for the price.
If you are worried about the gpu power configuration then don't be, this thing is amazing.View attachment 23306View attachment 23307View attachment 23308
You're one of the first to leave a review, thank you very much (y)

Macco26

Expert
Are you using which Control Center for this laptop? PCS has been a bit lazy with this. Seems not being shipping the correct 2021 Control Center 3.x, has not yet populated any Account's Download portal and so on.
One way to get it is to ask them via live chat at the moment, and they seems to give you a direct link to downlaod; which seems a bit unprofessional. But be sure you're using the Control Center the laptop was born with.
While at that, please ask them to finally populate all owner's account portal.

Last edited by a moderator:

kshnnnn

Your laptop looks black? I thought grey was the only option, or is it a dark grey? If black was an option, I'd have taken it.

Macco26

Expert
I think the 17inch size is a dark magnesium grey, the 15 is lighter grey. Pretty sure they didn't change from past generation.

cedrixman

Hi, thanks a lot for this first review. It seems impressive and really beautiful !!
I have some questions :
  • Could you tell us about backlight bleed ? I see some comments that it is a huge problem. A picture of a black screen would be really appreciated
  • Could you tell us if you can undervolt the CPU with ThrottleStop ? I understand that is depending on BIOS configuration. Could you also tell us what is your BIOS number + ECC ?

Thanks in advance

barlew

Godlike
Hi, thanks a lot for this first review. It seems impressive and really beautiful !!
I have some questions :
  • Could you tell us about backlight bleed ? I see some comments that it is a huge problem. A picture of a black screen would be really appreciated
  • Could you tell us if you can undervolt the CPU with ThrottleStop ? I understand that is depending on BIOS configuration. Could you also tell us what is your BIOS number + ECC ?

Thanks in advance
I can answer one of those questions. ThrottleStop implements the under-volt at the OS level not the BIOS level so it will work.

Macco26

Expert
I can confirm that Throttlestop does work in Ionico 17 out of the box, even if no options can be found in the BIOS.
It works both for underbolting and or applying PL1, PL2 etc.
Funny thing: the PCS Control Center does have PL1 PL2 controls but they seems to do nothing when you moves the sliders.
Until then you launch Throttlestop! When he's launched, those CC sliders starts to work, like if something in the CC is missing and the background TS enables it to finally run. This way you can move on different PL with the press of the CC button...

barlew

Godlike
I can confirm that Throttlestop does work in Ionico 17 out of the box, even if no options can be found in the BIOS.
It works both for underbolting and or applying PL1, PL2 etc.
Funny thing: the PCS Control Center does have PL1 PL2 controls but they seems to do nothing when you moves the sliders.
Until then you launch Throttlestop! When he's launched, those CC sliders starts to work, like if something in the CC is missing and the background TS enables it to finally run. This way you can move on different PL with the press of the CC button...
I'm pretty surprised that some features in control center also don't work on top of the MUX being disabled?

RobertoDub

Can anyone confirm if the battery issues seen with the Vyper chassis have been resolved in the Ionico, please?

Also, will there be an AMD CPU option for the Ionico later this year?

Finally, I remember Bob of all Trade's review of the Vyper-equivalent mentioned it was a very quiet machine once performance settings were fine tuned (i.e. it was possible to get decent performance while having minimal fan noise). Not sure why this is no longer the case?

Thanks.

RobertoDub

You’d have to ask PCS, none of us work for them so we have no idea.
I'm well aware of this, thanks, but in fairness it's not a huge task to unplug the power cable and observe how long the battery lasts?
Also, has anyone tried to lower some GPU settings to see if the noise becomes bearable while maintaining decent performance?
Thanks again.

RobertoDub

I have no idea what relevance that has to my statement to if PCS are going to stock AMD chassis, but ok
I didn't notice you had only quoted one of my three questions, my apologies.
I had read somewhere here on this forum that there was a plan to provide AMD CPUs later this year, I can't remember where I read that so I figured I'd ask about that too.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I didn't notice you had only quoted one of my three questions, my apologies.
I had read somewhere here on this forum that there was a plan to provide AMD CPUs later this year, I can't remember where I read that so I figured I'd ask about that too.
PCS haven’t said anything about AMD chassis, all we know is there are lots due to be released, but we don’t know what PCS plans are if they’re gonna stock any or not.

Bhuna50

Author Level
The only thing we know re AMD laptops is from someone else on here saying that they spoke to PCS and was told later in March but that has not been confirmed by anyone else or officially by PCS yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk