Ionico CPU 90deg, usage 45%?

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
Hello
Earlier stress tests suggested my thermals were good (I should repeat). I have been recently playing MSFS20 in VR. Thought I'd take a look at temps today and was surprised. See attached pics.
Clearly CPU thermal throttling but at only 45% usage???? Why is that?
Have I caused this with the Throttlestop settings?
What's the best advice?
Note CC pic, upper is Cpu usage/temp, below Gpu usage/temp.

Attachments

• 20210331_143623.jpg
    20210331_143623.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 20210331_143640.jpg
    20210331_143640.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 166

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello
Earlier stress tests suggested my thermals were good (I should repeat). I have been recently playing MSFS20 in VR. Thought I'd take a look at temps today and was surprised. See attached pics.
What's the best advice?
Reset the throttlestop settings and retest. It’s likely you’ve overclocked either by accident or intentionally, you really can’t overclock a laptop cpu at all, the cooling can’t cope.

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
Reset the throttlestop settings and retest. It’s likely you’ve overclocked either by accident or intentionally, you really can’t overclock a laptop cpu at all, the cooling can’t cope.
Thanks. I undervolted in TS. But then set power levels as well without fully understanding what I was doing. I will reset.

barlew

Godlike
Thanks. I undervolted in TS. But then set power levels as well without fully understanding what I was doing. I will reset.
At the risk of sounding patronising do not change any settings in Throttlestop if you don't fully understand them. You can legitimately fry your components that way.

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
At the risk of sounding patronising do not change any settings in Throttlestop if you don't fully understand them. You can legitimately fry your components that way.
Agreed. Copied another user blindly. All seems ok. Will reset later.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Agreed. Copied another user blindly. All seems ok. Will reset later.
For anyone reading, all silicon chips are different, they have different thermal and electrical properties. What works for one person will likely not work for another.

You would never copy someone else’s voltage or clock settings, you have to manually increment in your own system to find the optimal for your silicon.

Randomly applying values is how you fry chips.

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
For anyone reading, all silicon chips are different, they have different thermal and electrical properties. What works for one person will likely not work for another.

You would never copy someone else’s voltage or clock settings, you have to manually increment in your own system to find the optimal for your silicon.

Randomly applying values is how you fry chips.
Fair play. The laptop I copied from was almost identical.
Anyway, i have taken throttlestop out of the task scheduler as i could not reset the turbo power limits and i could not remember their original settings. I assume preventing launch reverts to standard.
Obviously i have also lost any undervolt benefit too (was -99mv) and stable.
Restarting MSFS20 and OC2 in VR, i still hit 89degC throttle presumably as I set in CC (-10degC).
Dropping visuals to min levels in game, oculus and OTT does not help (pic attached). Boosting visuals to very high to force it to be GPU limited (or at least putting more strain on GPU than CPU) drops CPU to 85degC ish.
I maxed the CC for gaming (pic attached) and believe this to be the next issue, can anyone give me a sensible set of values for gaming? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210331_210920.jpg
    20210331_210920.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 20210331_210934.jpg
    20210331_210934.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 134

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
Anyway, i have taken throttlestop out of the task scheduler as i could not reset the turbo power limits and i could not remember their original settings. I assume preventing launch reverts to standard.
Restarting MSFS20 and OC2 in VR, i still hit 89degC throttle presumably as I set in CC (-10degC).
Dropping visuals to min levels in game, oculus and OTT does not help (pic attached). Boosting visuals to very high to force it to be GPU limited (or at least putting more strain on GPU than CPU) drops CPU to 85degC ish.
I maxed the CC for gaming (pic attached) and believe this to be the next issue, can anyone give me a sensible set of values for gaming? Thanks.
By the way, I just noticed GPU usage 99% in the pic. I think I caught a peak, normally 50-90%.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's the whole point though, NO SYSTEM IS ANYTHING LIKE THE SAME. Each CPU is entirely different in it's properties, it's called silicon lottery.

You'd need to reset the CMOS to reset paramaters.

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
That's the whole point though, NO SYSTEM IS ANYTHING LIKE THE SAME. Each CPU is entirely different in it's properties, it's called silicon lottery.

I presume I need to drop the cover and remove the cmos battery for

Thanks. I had not realised throttle stop updated the BIOS? Do I remove the lower cover and the board battery for a few mins? Anything I need to be aware of?

Macco26

Expert
I think your high PL is causing this.
In Throttlestop don't touch much but the undervolting (which can only lower temperatures).
PL in the CC at 120W+120W can't be a sustained thing. Those are values just for a brief benchmark.
You'll reach eventually your Tcc limit.

If you limited your CPU at 35W or 45W max, you should avoid throttling.

Edit also 49% CPU usage, but like with 2 cores (out of 8) pushing at 5.1 Ghz and some others at less isn'nt really that less hot experience than you think.
Base on the PL, not CPU%. Power (W) is always proportional to heat. CPU% not so much (too many variables in a 8 cores CPU).

Cenksenci

Bronze Level Poster
Hello
What's the best advice?
Hi Paul, same thing happened to me today but different game and all I did was just updating Nvidia Driver. Before then, CPU is never reached to 83 degree but now I'm dealing with 90 degrees. I am not sure if there is any relevance between Nvidia Drivers and CPU but I couldn't find any good explanation in my case. Check my latest post if you want to:

barlew

Godlike
I presume I need to drop the cover and remove the cmos battery for

Thanks. I had not realised throttle stop updated the BIOS? Do I remove the lower cover and the board battery for a few mins? Anything I need to be aware of?
You shouldn't have to reset the CMOS just delete the throttlestop config file and restart your laptop.

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
You shouldn't have to reset the CMOS just delete the throttlestop config file and restart your laptop.
Thanks, how do I do that if you dont mind me asking?
I was nervous about a CMOS reset. After I received the laptop I swapped windows from the 1Tb to the 500gb drive by cloning with Macrium. I was not sure whether a CMOS reset would point it back to the 1tb drive where there is no longer a copy of windows? I had to change the drives in the BIOS.
Would a CMOS reset have caused problems?

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
I think your high PL is causing this.
In Throttlestop don't touch much but the undervolting (which can only lower temperatures).
PL in the CC at 120W+120W can't be a sustained thing. Those are values just for a brief benchmark.
You'll reach eventually your Tcc limit.

If you limited your CPU at 35W or 45W max, you should avoid throttling.

Edit also 49% CPU usage, but like with 2 cores (out of 8) pushing at 5.1 Ghz and some others at less isn'nt really that less hot experience than you think.
Base on the PL, not CPU%. Power (W) is always proportional to heat. CPU% not so much (too many variables in a 8 cores CPU).
Thanks. If we ignore TS for a moment, are these good CC settings for sustained gaming?

Attachments

• 20210401_075030.jpg
    20210401_075030.jpg
    714.2 KB · Views: 139

Macco26

Expert
Any information of TS are in its .ini file. If you delete it and, for extra safety, reboot and relaunch, it will start afresh.

About the CC, seems ok. I wouldn't bother with GPU Temp limit. But CPU PL seems solid. Depending on the game you could also drop to 35W. More W to the GPU thanks to Dynamic Boost, but it really depends on your game's demand if successful.

barlew

Godlike
Thanks, how do I do that if you dont mind me asking?
I was nervous about a CMOS reset. After I received the laptop I swapped windows from the 1Tb to the 500gb drive by cloning with Macrium. I was not sure whether a CMOS reset would point it back to the 1tb drive where there is no longer a copy of windows? I had to change the drives in the BIOS.
Would a CMOS reset have caused problems?
Because TS implements the changes at an OS level and doesn't write to the BIOS there for a CMOS reset is not necessary.

*edit* Definitely read your post wrong and answered the wrong question. Just uninstall TS. That should do it.

Last edited:

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
Because TS implements the changes at an OS level and doesn't write to the BIOS there for a CMOS reset is not necessary.

*edit* Definitely read your post wrong and answered the wrong question. Just uninstall TS. That should do it.
Thanks. My response was poorly written. I am not doing a CMOS reset. However, if I ever did need to do one in the future would my drive swap be an issue or not?

Ref TS I will delete the .ini file.
I would quite like to keep it as an option for undervolting only, once everything else is up and running to see if it lowers temps further? I have taken it out of task scheduler so once reset I presume it will do nothing unless I launch... is that correct.

Macco26

Expert
Without anything in its .ini file it will just monitor your wattage, temperature etc. as it was an HWinfo64 sensor monitor.