Ionico laptop: Guide how to Undervolt, Power Limit, Fan controlling and Memory tuning

Macco26

Expert

This might apply also to any other Tongfang 2021 laptops (that is Elimina Pro, at this moment).

The Undervolting part via Trohttlestop might be helpful also for any other laptop which have Undervolting unlocked.

PS: @SpyderTracks (consider moving this into the Guide section if worth it, you can remove this PS any time you want)

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster

This might apply also to any other Tongfang 2021 laptops (that is Elimina Pro, at this moment).

The Undervolting part via Trohttlestop might be helpful also for any other laptop which have Undervolting unlocked.

PS: @SpyderTracks (consider moving this into the Guide section if worth it, you can remove this PS any time you want)
Thanks Macco. I undervolted mine at -99mv with TS. No BSOD yet.
What would be your CC recommendations for a gaming profile? I have maxed most parameters but set CPU offset temp (10deg) so presumably 90degC limit.

Macco26

Expert
It depends on the game, really.
Keep in minde RTX 30 cards do like to have CPU not much powering up, so they can take advantage of Dynamic Boost 2.0.
DB is nullyfied for anything CPU above 45W, so ideally 35W would be good for GPU bound games (esports etc.).
For more demanding multiplayers (Warzone) it seems they like some more, like 45W or more. Just keep in consideration the GPU won't be able to deliver so much as DB will be zero, so might have to limit graphics settings or resolution in those cases.

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
It depends on the game, really.
Keep in minde RTX 30 cards do like to have CPU not much powering up, so they can take advantage of Dynamic Boost 2.0.
DB is nullyfied for anything CPU above 45W, so ideally 35W would be good for GPU bound games (esports etc.).
For more demanding multiplayers (Warzone) it seems they like some more, like 45W or more. Just keep in consideration the GPU won't be able to deliver so much as DB will be zero, so might have to limit graphics settings or resolution in those cases.
How about MSFS20 in VR?

I could undervolt down to -110mV with the Elimina Pro, got a BSOD at -115mV. I got the laptop yesterday, I'm having having trouble with the fan settings in CC 3.0 though

Last edited:

Macco26

Expert
-110 is nothing to scuff off from a 10750H. Which CC are you using? The one provided by PCS in your account page?

Yeah I have the Elimina Pro 15,6" 10870H in fact , I forgot to mention. Yes, I'm using the CC provided in the account page, but the names are quite weird and certainly different from the one you show on your video like: "Enable Custom Fan Control" vs "Enable Fan Control Respective"

Macco26

Expert
Ah ok. 10870 at -110mV is quite understandable. Not the best bin as 10875H but not far from it. Good!
About CC, provided it's a 3.x, it should be ok. And I barely use the custom fan curve anyway. Auto fans seems pretty well set.

Macco26

Expert
UPDATE: tried -125mV on my 10875H, resulted in some errors detected by TS Bench. Not BSOD, but interestingly enough, immediately detected Errors while doing the bench. Never seen before.

Dialed it down to -120 mV and never doing more I guess. That's what you can expect from a 10875H, that is.

barlew

Godlike
UPDATE: tried -125mV on my 10875H, resulted in some errors detected by TS Bench. Not BSOD, but interestingly enough, immediately detected Errors while doing the bench. Never seen before.

Dialed it down to -120 mV and never doing more I guess. That's what you can expect from a 10875H, that is.
I'm impressed you are getting as much as -120 out of it. The 10875h is terrible for undervolting!

Macco26

Expert
Ye, surprised a bit myself. I knew 9th gen was a lot lot better at that. Yet, among the 10th gen, 10875H is the most capable.

barlew

Godlike
Ye, surprised a bit myself. I knew 9th gen was a lot lot better at that. Yet, among the 10th gen, 10875H is the most capable.
I had the 9th gen prior and it was fantastic to undervolt. With the Vyper I couldn't get the 10875H lower than -70!

Macco26

Expert
I had the 9th gen prior and it was fantastic to undervolt. With the Vyper I couldn't get the 10875H lower than -70!
Probably Intel fabs produce better and better CPU with the months passing. Their improve in their fabrication process (also to improve the yield). So a 10875H at the beginning of its life is different from the very last 10875H now, when the 14th node is about to close (Tigerlake-H goes 10nm).

My TS Bench detected errors immediately as well, a second or two later after the test was done it crashed.

Apparently with the version of the CC I got from my PCS account, when I enabled custom fan control, the fans speed was set constant to the maximum value of the curve regardless of temperature. I downloaded the same version as you have for the CC and it seems it runs as intended now.

Last edited:

cedrixman

Hi Macco,
Thanks a lot for those informations. If I may, it would be great to have a chapter about undervolting gpu using MSI afterburner.
With my Ionico 17 RTX 3070, i limit the max frequency of the GPU at 1500MHz and I undervolt it. At 1500MHz, the RTX 3070 accept 725mV instead of 900mV.
There is the same davantage as undervolting a CPU :
1) Lower temperature
2) Lower fan noises
2) Better performance

Combined PL1/PL2 at 35w on CC, undervolting CPU + CPU cache at -100mV and limit the GPU frequency of 1500MHz at 725mV, this is a huge improvment :
CPU at 70deg max
GPU the same

barlew

Godlike
Hi Macco,
Thanks a lot for those informations. If I may, it would be great to have a chapter about undervolting gpu using MSI afterburner.
With my Ionico 17 RTX 3070, i limit the max frequency of the GPU at 1500MHz and I undervolt it. At 1500MHz, the RTX 3070 accept 725mV instead of 900mV.
There is the same davantage as undervolting a CPU :
1) Lower temperature
2) Lower fan noises
2) Better performance

Combined PL1/PL2 at 35w on CC, undervolting CPU + CPU cache at -100mV and limit the GPU frequency of 1500MHz at 725mV, this is a huge improvment :
CPU at 70deg max
GPU the same
This is ridiculous? You are deliberately reducing the performance of your GPU o_O

Macco26

Expert
@cedrixman I am no expert of GPU undervolting as rarely my GPU risks to throttle, given the ample die size. However when you say 725 mV at 1500 Mhz are you saying that you allows your GPU to any given Mhz but, the only variation you make are, giving the GPU less voltage at each Mhz step? Or are you also hard-limiting the Mhz overall?
I've never done GPU undervolting, so I asks that. Can your GPU still boost to the max frequency Nvidia planned it to reach?

cedrixman

This is ridiculous? You are deliberately reducing the performance of your GPU o_O
Hi Barlew,
Absolutly not. With Afterburner, you can see what is the maximum frequency on game. In fact, except on benchmark, thé maximum boost frequency I can see is around 1500/1560MHz. Then, by limiting the power + undervolting, you stabilise the temperature and the potential throttling.
You can also keep the maximum frequency but still undervolt the GPU. You will also decrease the temperature.

I test it on games like Cyberpunk or the division 2, at 1500MHz, 725mV, temp of GPU : 68deg.

The division 2 benchmark :
Without limiting frequency and without undervolting : 6100
With 1500MHz + undervolting : 6300