Ionico vs Recoil - difference?

AlexTAlex

I'm planning on buying one of the above two machines. Both identical specs (same 15" screen, Ryzen 9, 32gb, 1tb SSD, RTX 3070).

The price is very nearly the same, so I'm just trying to assess what the differences are. The Recoil has a 94WH battery as opposed to 62WH, which won't make much difference to me, as I'll likely only be using it plugged in at home. In the summary it says that Recoil has displayport over USB C, but when you use the 'compare laptop' function, it lists both as having that feature. Is that correct? The Recoil is also slightly larger and heavier, which is a disadvantage, although only a minor one.

Other than that, are there any other differences I should know about? For instance anything to do with build quality/form factor, which is hard to tell from the specs?

Also, does the 15" display support gsync?

Thanks for any advice anyone has!

Last edited:

NBrooke

Hi mate, you're quite right that they're both similar machines. Both should have DP over USB-C having done the research into these models as well.

While the recoil is a bit bigger, it's only a disadvantage if portability is the concern - the bigger size is likely to translate into more thermal headroom for the components. Thinner and lighter laptops tend to have more a difficult time cooling. But if portability is a concern, then maybe lighter is better.

In terms of build quality, both of these laptop's are from the same ODM, Tongfang, so likely to have very similar quality and reliability. The main differences are going to be the battery size, and the keyboard - the Recoil has a mechanical board that some people prefer.

Neither supports g sync as far as I'm aware, but the recoil *I think* has AMD Freesync, but only if you're using Optimus. Using the MUX switch to go to d-GPU only mode would disable Freesync.

The Ionico might also have Freesync on the AMD version, but I've not seen any information supporting or refuting it for that chassis.

I ended up going for the Recoil in the end, but I don't think you'd be disappointed by either option and at the end of the day, you'd likely have a very similar machine anyway.