Iphone 5

jonny123

Bright Spark
Has anyone got a iphone 5? i heard that they crash alot?
was thinking of getting one but apperently there buggy so can anyone say there expernices with the iphone 5 if they have one.
Also anyone know any good deals on the iphone 5?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Its a pretty naff phone, its the same as the last 4, its just boring now, nothing amazing

And this is another reason why I don't buy into this hype

2012-09-18_iPhone5.jpg

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I think that for the price, the specs are outdated, most high end phones use a quad core CPU and often have 2GB RAM now

The design is boring, its had the same front everytime, and no awesome colours like the lumia 920

The screen is too small for me, I like 4.5" personally and GSIII is slightly too big

The lack of curves around the edges make it uncomfortable to hold, even for a phone that slim

The OS looks outdated, it hasn't changed since day 1 which is just lazy and boring, and that laziness has caused android to improve so much quicker than it, and its the same with the up and coming windows 8 phone OS

Battery life is lousy, you would be lucky if it held its charge after a days work, most other phones have a much larger battery

Everything that Apple brag about, is available elsewhere, Siri -> Google Now, iSight -> PureView, Apple maps -> Google Maps/Nokia Drive (both 10x better)

Its too pricey, its about £100 more than the galaxy SIII which is better in almost every way

If there is a feature you want that you think is only available on iPhones, I can almost guarantee there is an alternative that is better on another phone

Oh and Google Play has loads more free apps including Angry Birds, Bad Piggies, plus all the awesome google services that I could not live without

So after all this, why would you buy an iPhone, other than the fact its a popular fashion accessory?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
GSIII on Amazon (16GB) is £384.01

the 16GB iPhone 5 is £529.00 on the apple website

A total difference of £144.99, and too me, that is a lot, remember, the Galaxy SIII also has a micro SD slot for expanded storage (there are 128gb micro SD cards popping up now)

Rack

Enthusiast
I didn't think of amazon for the S3, I was looking on carphone warehouse at £499.95. For Some reason it is £30 more to buy with a sim and top up, even thought CW don't sell sim locked phones. ( well, they never used to)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
There are places even cheaper than Amazon online, although only a couple 100 reviews on google so I was slightly wary

jonny123

Bright Spark
Im not too good on phone specs so im not sure whats good/not and i know people with the iphone 4s/5 who love it so thats why i was looking at the iphone.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yeh thats because iPhone users always seem to feel the need to brag about it, if you are talking to someone who has an iPhone, you will know within a few minutes because they will mention a feature or get it out just to show it off, I know a couple of people who are extremely happy with the GS3 and other android phones who wouldnt consider an iPhone

jonny123

Bright Spark
Hmm if you can send the links of the phones ill have a look then :p
Like i said im not too good with picking out a phone and im deffiantly not up to speed with all the new phones coming out.
And the most people i talk to its the other way around (In the iphone 5 cases anyway) where most people ask them to see the phone and start talking about it but i see what you mean about the apple users in particular showing off there products.

Rack

Enthusiast
http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/smartphones/android/GT-I9300MBDBTU

they will be the best ones to look at I would imagine. Specs wise, the Galaxy S3 wipes the floor with the iPhone. Yet, I can't stand android for some reason, I had a Nexus S and after 9 months I still didn't like it, so I got a 4S. Really I think it is down to personal preference. There are fanboys for both sides who will try and persuade you to their way of thinking. Your best bet is to speak to mates who have either of them and ask for a play around and pick which ever you like the most.

TranceCommunity

I think that for the price, the specs are outdated, most high end phones use a quad core CPU and often have 2GB RAM now

The design is boring, its had the same front everytime, and no awesome colours like the lumia 920

The screen is too small for me, I like 4.5" personally and GSIII is slightly too big

The lack of curves around the edges make it uncomfortable to hold, even for a phone that slim

The OS looks outdated, it hasn't changed since day 1 which is just lazy and boring, and that laziness has caused android to improve so much quicker than it, and its the same with the up and coming windows 8 phone OS

Battery life is lousy, you would be lucky if it held its charge after a days work, most other phones have a much larger battery

Everything that Apple brag about, is available elsewhere, Siri -> Google Now, iSight -> PureView, Apple maps -> Google Maps/Nokia Drive (both 10x better)

Its too pricey, its about £100 more than the galaxy SIII which is better in almost every way

If there is a feature you want that you think is only available on iPhones, I can almost guarantee there is an alternative that is better on another phone

Oh and Google Play has loads more free apps including Angry Birds, Bad Piggies, plus all the awesome google services that I could not live without

So after all this, why would you buy an iPhone, other than the fact its a popular fashion accessory?

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Boring and Old.

mishra

Rising Star
Wozza there are days I am really thinking you are getting paid for flaming iPhone. Criticism of something is fine for as long as it's a constructive one...

For everyone interested in getting latest smartphone.. just go to a mobile shop and try it for yourself. Internet is full of haters/lovers and their opinion is shaped by that emotion. Just make sure you pick something you like and you think it will suit your needs.

It seems smartphones are now selected based on "paper facts" and spreadsheets of specs, rather than real life experience and one's needs. Exactly the same thing happened to camera world. Everyone was just getting the highest number of megapixels (sic) - completely not paying attention to anything else.

jonny123

Bright Spark
Ive used a ipod before and ive used a friends iphone 5 and i like the iphone,This post was to just ask if anyone has any problems with it because a few family members have said the iphone 5s are crashing but my mates has been fine so i just wanted to know if anyone had one and they could confirm if there are/are not problems with it aswell as to see if anyone knew any good deals for it.
I know nothing about the specs of phones though but the iphone seems decent enough :)

Rack

Enthusiast
As Mish and I said, if you want it get it. All that matters is what you want. As for deals, you are not likely to find one company significantly cheaper (among the the market leaders) as they will all want to remain competitive.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I would recommend you at least go into the store and try out a few different phones, and consider waiting for Windows Phone 8 being released at the end of the month which sounds awesome, then you can check out the new lumias etc

The problem is too many iPhone users go straight into buying an iPhone without even considering and thats why they are amazed at these 3 year old features theyve only just got, ie Panorama photos, I have a friend with an iPhone 5 who was clearly trying to show it off, by taking a panoramic photo, and then I told him that this feature has been on android for a good couple of years, its similar with a lot of features

jonny123

Bright Spark
Yeah ive got either next week/the week after that off shcool anyway so i could probbaly go and have a look at a few other phones and get some prices.
As for the feautures,All i will be using the phone for is phoning/texts,taking photos and they have a nice screen/look with a few games/apps on there and i knew that iphone do all that so that is the reason i said i wanted that but if i can ill go in a store when im off and have a look at the others aswell and i need any help with specs ill come back here because im useless at phone specs :p
Thanks for the help btw

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yeah ive got either next week/the week after that off shcool anyway so i could probbaly go and have a look at a few other phones and get some prices.
As for the feautures,All i will be using the phone for is phoning/texts,taking photos and they have a nice screen/look with a few games/apps on there and i knew that iphone do all that so that is the reason i said i wanted that but if i can ill go in a store when im off and have a look at the others aswell and i need any help with specs ill come back here because im useless at phone specs :p
Thanks for the help btw

If your doing just that, then you probably dont need the iPhone 5, considering its the most expensive phone on the market

Consider a mid range android such as a Galaxy S2, or a Nokia Lumia 800 (WinPhone7) or of course you could get a 4S but still expensive for quite old tech tbh

Rack

Enthusiast
I second what Wozza says here, unless you are really set on getting the new iPhone. I assume this is an outright buy rather than a contract upgrade, if it is an upgrade then you can go for the iPhone as long as you use what you pay for in the contract.