Is a VPN worth it?

TomBerry

Bright Spark
I always see people on YouTube advertising VPN's (such as Linus Tech Tips) but I've never actually thought of using one. Are they actually worth it - and for what?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I always see people on YouTube advertising VPN's (such as Linus Tech Tips) but I've never actually thought of using one. Are they actually worth it - and for what?
They’re exactly what they’re called “virtual private network”. They encrypt your network traffic so that your info can remain private. You can also set up geolocation so it appears you’re accessing from a different country than you are.
If you care about privacy they’re worth it.

Last edited:

TomBerry

Bright Spark
They’re exactly what they’re called “virtual private network”. They encrypt you’re network traffic so that your info can remain private. You can also set up geolocation so it appears you’re accessing from a different country than you are.
If you care about privacy they’re worth it.

Would you personally say it's worth it? Looking at £50 for 6 months but I've never really been worried about my data before and I'm not sure why I'd need to visit a site from another country.

I'll probs just pass on this but thought I'd ask :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Would you personally say it's worth it? Looking at £50 for 6 months but I've never really been worried about my data before and I'm not sure why I'd need to visit a site from another country.

I'll probs just pass on this but thought I'd ask :)
You’ve answered your own question, if you’re not bothered by either then you don’t have a need for it.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
There are a number of use cases, however, don't believe the TV adverts for say Nord.

If you need to get around a Geoblock they are handy. However, don't expect to do this for Netflix as they tend to detect them and throw an error now.

If you want to hide your external IP address.

If you want to ensure that ALL communications are encrypted.

If you want to get around some localised blocking such as some of the torrent search engines (note for mods - I am not endorsing this, just factually stating it as a use case).

However you need to ensure they are correctly configured so you don't suffer e.g. DNS leakage. Ideally you want one that has a kill switch so that if the VPN drops, your internet connection goes with it.

I personally use Nord and Express for different uses. They both work well.

Whenever you visit a website such as your bank it's encrypted anyway (the little padlock). For general, day-to-day, browsing very few people need one.

You're much better using a browser such as Firefox and add plugins like Ghostery (anti-tracking) and uBlock Origin or NoScript.

Stephen M

Author Level
Not used it yet but Protonmail include VPN as part of their subscription payed for email, all end to end encrypted.

Overall it is a question of do you really need it, although it can be useful. A friend who is learning German has a Sky subscription and that is valid for any of their stuff, here or abroad but in order to get the German commentary on football he needs to use geolocation.

Old_Timer

Bronze Level Poster
I always use a VPN service. Have done for 5 years now. It gives me a better sense of privacy. Maybe a slight placebo effect..but I do feel more secure.

I started with Private Internet Access, but moved to Nordvpn a few years ago. I did a 3 year deal for £75 [ish]. The speed is very good indeed, hardly any reduction at all. Nordlynx has also just been released via Nord and it promises to increase connection speeds, although I've not noticed any improvement.

In these current times and climate I would not like to lose access to a VPN.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Currently using SurfShark, unlimited number of devices that can be connected at any one time. Tbh I've only got my 4K Fire TV Stick connected to the vpn, as the Doris "needs" to watch USA based TV crap.... It's not as if there isn't enough depressing TV available in in the UK :rolleyes: