Is it possible to order a PC without a GPU and then have the GPU delivered later?

Hibernian

Silver Level Poster
Ok, I get that there is a massive shortage of Graphics cards at the moment, but I would like to order a new PC from PCS.

Is it possible for them to build me a PC without a graphics card, but then send me the graphics card when it is available?

Because I have a functional, but old, GPU in my old computer, so in theory I could order a new PC and switch in the old GPU and it would be sufficient for a while.

i.e. is it possible to order a PC with an Nvidia 3000 series card on pre-order and have them send me out the card later?

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Ok, I get that there is a massive shortage of Graphics cards at the moment, but I would like to order a new PC from PCS.

Is it possible for them to build me a PC without a graphics card, but then send me the graphics card when it is available?

Because I have a functional, but old, GPU in my old computer, so in theory I could order a new PC and switch in the old GPU and it would be sufficient for a while.

i.e. is it possible to order a PC with an Nvidia 3000 series card on pre-order and have them send me out the card later?
*Technically* I think you can, by ordering as no graphics card required. And then you could "upgrade" the order and purchase the card you'd like and they would send it out once in stock. Not sure if it would work like this though :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
*Technically* I think you can, by ordering as no graphics card required. And then you could "upgrade" the order and purchase the card you'd like and they would send it out once in stock. Not sure if it would work like this though :)
In theory this is the way you could do it, but not sure anyone has ever tried, and I believe there's a longer wait for an upgrade card rather than ordering with the build.

Hibernian

Silver Level Poster
Hmm. Does PCS generally ship individual components like that? I can't see any options for it on the website.

I just don't think that my current old PC is going to hold out for much longer (had lots of problems with it), so I'd like to get a new PC as soon as possible. But if I just order it without any GPU (which is possible) I fear I'll end up just having to use the old GPU in it for ages and with no way to get a new GPU. Because every website is out of stock and I know that PCS themselves have to wait months to get them, so I would have little chance buying one on my own.

I just don't relish having to wait like 2 months for the new PC, and then my current one breaks down again in the meantime.

EDIT: Is the "upgrade" feature essentially a way to buy individual components from PCS, after you have the computer?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hmm. Does PCS generally ship individual components like that? I can't see any options for it on the website.

I just don't think that my current old PC is going to hold out for much longer (had lots of problems with it), so I'd like to get a new PC as soon as possible. But if I just order it without any GPU (which is possible) I fear I'll end up just having to use the old GPU in it for ages and with no way to get a new GPU. Because every website is out of stock and I know that PCS themselves have to wait months to get them, so I would have little chance buying one on my own.

I just don't relish having to wait like 2 months for the new PC, and then my current one breaks down again in the meantime.

EDIT: Is the "upgrade" feature essentially a way to buy individual components from PCS, after you have the computer?
In the upgrades section, you get the option to buy individual upgrades. It's only available on existing orders though.

Hibernian

Silver Level Poster
In the upgrades section, you get the option to buy individual upgrades. It's only available on existing orders though.
Right, yeah I just tried it on my old order from 2013. It does not offer any upgrade possibility for a graphics card, but that might be just due to the old PC being incompatible with anything they sell now. Or it might mean they don't currently offer upgraded GPUs due to the shortage, I don't know.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Right, yeah I just tried it on my old order from 2013. It does not offer any upgrade possibility for a graphics card, but that might be just due to the old PC being incompatible with anything they sell now. Or it might mean they don't currently offer upgraded GPUs due to the shortage, I don't know.
You can order a GPU from anywhere.

Hibernian

Silver Level Poster
You can order a GPU from anywhere.
Well, not at the moment. Everywhere is out of stock for 3070 and 3080, etc. Some websites offer to put you on a waiting list, but who knows how long that will take (probably longer than PCS will make me wait for one).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well, not at the moment. Everywhere is out of stock for 3070 and 3080, etc. Some websites offer to put you on a waiting list, but who knows how long that will take (probably longer than PCS will make me wait for one).
Obviously you’d have to wait but stocks come in to every shop.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
it really surprises me that anyone who ordered a 3000 series card after the end of last year is surprised at how long they are going to have to wait for it to arrive wherever they order it from due to the global shortage