Is it possible to swap out/add M.2 storage drives after purchase? (Elimina Pro 15.6")

jaredjeya

I'm just wondering about future-proofing my laptop. I'm thinking of buying either an Elimina or an Elimina Pro 15.6", with 1TB of M.2 NVMe storage. I'm actually using (marginally) more than this on my current computer, so I suspect I might hit the cap eventually, but right now I don't want to shell out an extra £100+ for a 2TB stick or two 1TB sticks, so I'd want to defer the decision, particularly since they're getting cheaper all the time. Are they accessible (like the RAM is - I upgraded my older, also PCS, laptop with new RAM a few years back) or would they be very tricky to install/replace (e.g. soldered in or buried deep).

PS: I assume it's possible this might void my warranty regardless of how practical it is, but I don't care about that as my warranty will probably have expired by the time I consider doing this.

PPS: I also assume on the software side it isn't quite as easy as RAM where I literally swapped them and I might have to fiddle in the BIOS or other settings. I'm not concerned about that unless it's so hard I'd have a good chance of bricking my PC.

Thanks for any help you can provide! If none of you know I'll email support.

D

Deleted member 17413

With the clevo cases i've had in the past, you could both take the base off and lift the keyboard (although keyboard was more work - but got to 3rd and 4th RAM slot). Wasnt the elimina model but given PCS can add the parts in at building, I would imagine you would be able to access them too. If its an option in the building stage for 2 M.2's, its just a case of finding the port for it on the board if you add later.

Only bit I dont know is reagarding open cases with laptops... I know desktops you certainly can open them up and change things, not so sure about laptops.

Brookes_117

I'm just wondering about future-proofing my laptop. I'm thinking of buying either an Elimina or an Elimina Pro 15.6", with 1TB of M.2 NVMe storage. I'm actually using (marginally) more than this on my current computer, so I suspect I might hit the cap eventually, but right now I don't want to shell out an extra £100+ for a 2TB stick or two 1TB sticks, so I'd want to defer the decision, particularly since they're getting cheaper all the time. Are they accessible (like the RAM is - I upgraded my older, also PCS, laptop with new RAM a few years back) or would they be very tricky to install/replace (e.g. soldered in or buried deep).

PS: I assume it's possible this might void my warranty regardless of how practical it is, but I don't care about that as my warranty will probably have expired by the time I consider doing this.

PPS: I also assume on the software side it isn't quite as easy as RAM where I literally swapped them and I might have to fiddle in the BIOS or other settings. I'm not concerned about that unless it's so hard I'd have a good chance of bricking my PC.

Thanks for any help you can provide! If none of you know I'll email support.
I think you'll be absolutely fine if you're only populating one M.2 slot on the board at purchase. It will be as easy as opening up the laptop and inserting a 2nd compatible M.2 ssd in the unpopulated slot when you feel like it (the slots are usually easily accessible).

jaredjeya

With the clevo cases i've had in the past, you could both take the base off and lift the keyboard (although keyboard was more work - but got to 3rd and 4th RAM slot). Wasnt the elimina model but given PCS can add the parts in at building, I would imagine you would be able to access them too. If its an option in the building stage for 2 M.2's, its just a case of finding the port for it on the board if you add later.

Only bit I dont know is reagarding open cases with laptops... I know desktops you certainly can open them up and change things, not so sure about laptops.

I think you'll be absolutely fine if you're only populating one M.2 slot on the board at purchase. It will be as easy as opening up the laptop and inserting a 2nd compatible M.2 ssd in the unpopulated slot when you feel like it (the slots are usually easily accessible).

Thanks both, that makes a lot of sense!