is it time for a new PC?

matt3

Hi everyone,

I bought my last gaming PC on this website 4 years ago and these are the main specs:

CORSAIR 230T COMPACT GAMING CASE - RED LED
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6600 (3.3GHz) 6MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® Z170-E: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power SupplyCORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor CoolingSuper Quiet Titan DragonFly Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingWIRELESS 802.11 AC1300 867Mbps/5GHz, 400Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

I was wondering if it was time for me to change my computer? I'm mainly asking because i'm not sure how much i would benefit from an update in GPU? i know there are more performing cards out there but i don't really see anything that would justify it..... i might be wrong though. To put things in perspective my previous PC had a Geforce 570 and i REALLY felt the difference when i started using this computer with a geforce 1070.

I normally use my pc mainly to play (at 1440p) or watch films. I am not interested in overclocking or dual GPUs settings, nor i play the latest/most demanding games (currently playing Final fantasy 14 and divinity original sin 2).
I was also considering perhaps getting a new monitor instead of changing my desktop. I wanted to go for a 1440p resolution again but with 144hz and widescreen. I wonder if this solution will "upgrade" my experience enough to last me another couple of years?

What do you guys think?
Thanks for your suggestions.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi everyone,

I bought my last gaming PC on this website 4 years ago and these are the main specs:

CORSAIR 230T COMPACT GAMING CASE - RED LED
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6600 (3.3GHz) 6MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® Z170-E: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power SupplyCORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor CoolingSuper Quiet Titan DragonFly Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingWIRELESS 802.11 AC1300 867Mbps/5GHz, 400Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

I was wondering if it was time for me to change my computer? I'm mainly asking because i'm not sure how much i would benefit from an update in GPU? i know there are more performing cards out there but i don't really see anything that would justify it..... i might be wrong though. To put things in perspective my previous PC had a Geforce 570 and i REALLY felt the difference when i started using this computer with a geforce 1070.

I normally use my pc mainly to play (at 1440p) or watch films. I am not interested in overclocking or dual GPUs settings, nor i play the latest/most demanding games (currently playing Final fantasy 14 and divinity original sin 2).
I was also considering perhaps getting a new monitor instead of changing my desktop. I wanted to go for a 1440p resolution again but with 144hz and widescreen. I wonder if this solution will "upgrade" my experience enough to last me another couple of years?

What do you guys think?
Thanks for your suggestions.
What's your current monitor make and model?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I wouldn't say it's worth upgrading the entire computer, wouldn't particularly make any difference.

The monitor is holding you back a bit, a 1440p 144Hz gaming monitor would be a vastly improved experience.

Your current GPU is going to struggle doing justice to 1440p, I would say wait until the 3000 series come out and get one of those to fit the better monitor.

Your current PSU could easily handle the upcoming RTX3070

matt3

I wouldn't say it's worth upgrading the entire computer, wouldn't particularly make any difference.

The monitor is holding you back a bit, a 1440p 144Hz gaming monitor would be a vastly improved experience.

Your current GPU is going to struggle doing justice to 1440p, I would say wait until the 3000 series come out and get one of those to fit the better monitor.

Your current PSU could easily handle the upcoming RTX3070
Thank you, it makes sense.
I wasn't sure about upgrading the monitor just because I've read around that my current GPU won't be able to handle the 144Hz hence I wouldn't really make the most of the new monitor?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you, it makes sense.
I wasn't sure about upgrading the monitor just because I've read around that my current GPU won't be able to handle the 144Hz hence I wouldn't really make the most of the new monitor?
That’s why you’d upgrade the GPU.