Is the 15.6' recoil the same chassis?

rarghrhead

Are both machines the same chassis but rebranded?
I had a quote saved last week that I planned to order but customer services never got back to me.

As I understand the ryzen 9 5900hx can support faster ram (3200mhz)? but the configurator has the fastest configurable ram at 2933mhz. Is this dependent on the motherboard? Perhaps this is an upgrade I could do myself as it could just be they don't sell or have stock of faster ram.

I initially configured the machine with the rtx 3070 but the only option as of today is with the 3080. Is this simply because there is no 3070 stock at the moment or have they decided only to pair the rtx 3080 from now on. The current available configuration has a base price of almost £2k while it was around £1.6k with the 3070.

Are there any issues with tongfang this year? From what i've read so far the newer bios have restricted or even removed features available in previous versions such as the ability to change between integrated and dedicated graphics modes.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There are basically a couple of bare bones manufacturers such as Clevo and TongFang. If you proceed on a build and post to forum, at the bottom it tells you the chassis model number. Just Google that and you can find any reviews on it.

It’s not the cpu that defines the memory speed, it’s the chipset of the motherboard.

Any of the new chassis should be able to go to 3200mhz easy.

Personally I would avoid TongFang like the plague based on all the issues they’ve presented with and continue to present with on this years models, far more than on any clevo model.

Macco26

Expert
Which issues on THIS years model, Spyder?
I would like you to attain to facts, please. IIRC I've seen more people complaining in these forums fr unexpected high temperatures on Clevos than Tongfangs. THIS YEAR.

Keyword: THIS. No threads from past generation, thank you.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Which issues on THIS years model, Spyder?
I would like you to attain to facts, please. IIRC I've seen more people complaining in these forums fr unexpected high temperatures on Clevos than Tongfangs. THIS YEAR.

Keyword: THIS. No threads from past generation, thank you.
Just to name a few that cropped up quickly, I'm not going to do hours doing a search, these are the same issues we saw last generation and the generation before that and so on:

A laptop overheating isn't an issue with the chassis, 9 times out of 10 it's a bad paste job which PCS are notorious for, and a few times, it's misconfigured windows or heatsink not installed correctly. But MOST of the time, that's easily correctable, it's not a hardware issue really.

This is purely my opinion based on watching the reports come in on the various chassis over the years. TongFang's have very good specs, but quality wise, they're just not built as well as other manufacturers and tend to have more hardware issues such as failed screens, failed GPU's, keyboard issues and BIOS problems.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This is purely my opinion based on watching the reports come in on the various chassis over the years. TongFang's have very good specs, but quality wise, they're just not built as well as other manufacturers and tend to have more hardware issues such as failed screens, failed GPU's, keyboard issues and BIOS problems.
And not having a public driver repository we can point to when users are having issues is a big negative for me.

Macco26

Expert
We should check failing rate as a RATE, though, based over units sold.

When Clevo offers featureless laptops (I mean: no QHD screen, no Max-P, no MUX, no advanced CC customization, no undervolting, those things only offered in the unique DTR with comes with 2 bricks, so very niche at best, rest of the line up is lacking everything in regard to the above), it is no surprise that it might sell less than the other competitor. By how much? We don't know.
Adds to that that the only Zen3 5900HX configurations sold by PCS now are from Tongfang. From now on, Can you imagine how many of those will outsell the Intel 14+++++ nm only Defiance/Elimina/DTR? I think a lot. For the rest of the year Tongfang will have the most impact at units sold for PCS, I bet. People loves to have Zen3 at their home.

So it's no surprise if the only people finding a lemon here and there and come in forums to write about that, statistically, are more prone to be Tongfang owners than Clevo. Expect even much more in the Zen3 variants, I contend.

We should know how many sold units are manifesting a single failure before pointing out our fingers in one or the other direction.

barlew

Godlike
So it's no surprise if the only people finding a lemon here and there and come in forums to write about that, statistically, are more prone to be Tongfang owners than Clevo. Expect even much more in the Zen3 variants, I contend.

I assume you have absolutely no evidence to back this statement up what so ever?

The fact is as with previous generations, anecdotally it appears that far more people are seeking technical support for TF laptops than CLEVO and it yet again feels like the same QC Issues.

I have seen people complaining of chassis build quality, issues with horrific screen bleed (an old TF favourite), problems with the BIOS which you yourself reported on. Issues with the MUX (although at least it has a MUX) and outright catastrophic hardware failure (I have seen a relatively large number of people with failed GPU's within the first week or on delivery).

I appreciate you are a big fan of TF but try to have some objectivity about how you go around hyping them up.

I have seen no evidence for your claim that more people are having cooling issues with CLEVO chassis over TF this year and as @SpyderTracks pointed out 9/10 times cooling issues are a red herring as they are caused by either a bad paste job or incorrect configuration.

Ironically the worst offender for cooling at the minute appears to be the Ionico. I have seen some ridiculous solutions over the past few months implemented by users just to keep the chassis temps in check (which surprises me as the one thing the Vyper did very well was cooling). The top suggestion at the moment appears to be limiting the chassis performance (which is a conversation we have had many times :p).

The fact is TF have generally always had more impressive specs than CLEVO but their build quality has always been well below. This generation in my opinion does not appear to have changed that.

We should check failing rate as a RATE, though, based over units sold.

When Clevo offers featureless laptops (I mean: no QHD screen, no Max-P, no MUX, no advanced CC customization, no undervolting

This claim is also something I have addressed with you in the past. There is zero evidence (unless you have found some) that CLEVO machines are no longer able to be under-volted. If this was the case, I guarantee this forum would be full of posts with user complaining about the fact.