Is this a good spec?

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
I have taken the pre-designed Vortex 1500 OC desktop and customized it.

This is what I came up with:

Case: Coolermaster HAF-X
CPU: Overclocked i7 2600k
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3 @ 2133mhz.
Graphics Cards: 2 x Nvidia Geforce 560 TI.
Hard Drives: 600GB Velociraptor SSD and 1TB WD Caviar Black.
Bluray Drive
Power Supply: Corsair 750W Enthusiast Series TX750
Liquid Cooling: Coolit ECO II C240 A.L.C
Advanced Thermal Paste

WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64 BIT
MONITOR: 24 INCH IIYAMA
KEYBOARD AND MOUSE: LOGITECH MK520 Wireless
WEBCAM: LOGITECH C910 1080p

and 3 Years Platinum Warranty.

Is this a good specification and also do I need a bigger power supply for these components? :winkiss:

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
I also wanted to say that I will mainly be using this for editing COD montages and edits in programs such as Sony Vegas and Adobe After Effects.

I will be playing Minecraft and possibly some other games, hoping to build a fast server if this computer can handle all this.

Do I really need to overclock to get the best performance?

Teaz

Godlike
Nope, no need for an overclock, you can use it but the spec alone without the overclock has plenty of power.

i wouldnt go for the ROG maximus board, that board is just pretty much for extreme overclocking or big mult gpu setups. go for the p8p68v board.

if youre not gona overclock then go for the 1333mhz ram which is fast already. if you do however want to overclock in future to speed up your editing process then go for the 1600mhz ram instead. but if your not gona overclock then the non K variant i7 is fine :)

apart from that, the rest of the spec is fine :)

you may want to go for a single power house gpu like the gtx580 instead of 2 lowers.

Teaz

Godlike
either of the 3 will do you just great :) the v-pro is the better of the 3 but the sabertooth is the better of the 3 in terms of cooling

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
Also, could I do the actual editing in the normal profile and then when rendering should I put on the OC profile for faster rendering if that's why I should have an OC.

Teaz

Godlike
yeah, you can. you can still overclock without the K varient i7 but not to big crazy clocks as the K variant.

I've re-adjusted the spec and its comes out cheaper and still holds plenty of power for your usage:

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF-X FULL TOWER GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-2600 Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z68-V PRO: USB 3.0, SATA 6GB/s, NVIDIA®SLI™, ATI®CrossFireX™

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

Graphics Card
1.5GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
600GB VELOCIRAPTOR WD6000HLHX, SATA 6-Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (10,000rpm)

2nd Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD20EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE

SSD CACHE DRIVE
20GB INTEL® SSD 311 SERIES - CACHE DRIVE FOR SYSTEM / 1st HDD

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£45)

Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£86)

Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Monitor
IIYAMA E2473HDS 24" LED WIDESCREEN, 2 x HDMI/DVI-D HD 1920x1080 (£169)

Keyboard & Mouse
LOGITECH® MK520 WIRELESS KEYBOARD & MOUSE COMBO (£39)

Webcam
Logitech® HD Webcam C910 - 1080p HD Video & 10 Megapixel Photos (£79)

Warranty
3 Year Platinum Warranty (3 Year Collect & Return, 3 Year Parts, 3 Year labour) (£135)

Total: 2079

Configure it here :)

I've popped in an ssd caching drive to make the velociraptor drive alot faster and not sure if you need the second hdd or not but i've popped it in for storage or any other files. the velociraptor drive is for your OS and all your programs and such with minor storage while the 2TB drive is for all your work or files or media etc etc. it can be lowered if its too much but i think you should hold onto it as videos and such are big files and hold alot of data.

i popped in the ssd caching instead as you dont have to baby sit it to keep it in tip top shape. you can still use a pure ssd instead if you dont mind doing that however :)

NMEBowen

Master Poster
faster loading as far as i understand, everything you do will be put through the cache for speed then the cash dups in your normall drive when your finished doing what your doing.

Teaz

Godlike
Basically just boost performance of a hdd to get near like performances as an ssd but still have a big capcity of a hdd. cheaper alternative to a pure ssd usage and you dont have to baby sit it to keep it in tip top shape as a pure ssd usage. you can see whats its like in this video

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
Thanks for explaining it guys. Will give you my final spec at the minute and tell me if there is anything I can do to make it better! :)