Is this a solid build ?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Please explain how with VSync off OP is gonna be capped at 60fps with a 60hz monitor? Btw I’m not having a go, just want to understand why you think that :)
Basicly Hz=FPS, so the fastes fps you will get out of a 60Hz monitor is 60

Gavras

Master Poster
Watching benchmark videos on YouTube is considered wrong? What kind of benchmarking videos do you watch ?
Are you just jumping in to this thread to Troll?

2 posts on the forum, jumping into a random build thread = Trolling in my book.

I never said watching benchmark videos was wrong, I said they were watching the wrong ones.

If Trolling please try to increase your grasp of the English language.

Benchmark videos can show whatever the person making them wants to show.

Not all benchmark videos are realistic and some are just plain wrong.

I fully understand some people believe everything on You tube.

Snooze

It’s pointless, a 3070 would do, the screens have a 60hz refresh rate.

You do understand that right?
I’m fully aware that that’s what you believe

However you’re opinion is based on “best case scenario” hand picked “optimised” titles

Which isnt the norm

Gavras

Master Poster

However you’re opinion is based on “best case scenario” hand picked “optimised” titles

Which isnt the norm
No my opinion is based on having a 1080p 75hz monitor And. 1080p 144hz monitor, being on Steam pretty much since it started.

Playing FPS, RPG from 2000 to 2020.

I can play varying graphics quality games from Valhalla to say Rome total war or medieval total war.

my 75hz screen with Vsync off will still do it’s refresh rate, however I may get more data sent to the screen within that time period.

yes that can make for smoother game flow but can also have tearing in some games - hence Vsync on to make sure data is held in buffer.

using a 3080 card with a 1080p screen is not wise use of money.

If it was heavy work stuff, different matter, but here it is occasional and predominantly gaming.

Which isnt the norm
A 60hrz Monitor will only output at 60FPS. That's a fact which can't be changed.

You can play content at a higher framerate than that but it leads to screen tearing because the screen can't keep up.

Last edited:

Snooze

A 60hrz Monitor will only output at 60FPS. That's a fact which can't be changed.

You can play content at a higher framerate than that but it leads to screen tearing, input lag and more issues because the screen can't keep up.
Yes and currently on some very popular AAA games most cards struggle to maintain 60fps.

With the potential to play across 3 1080p screens, effectively tripling the resolution that struggle will be far more apparent.

I know this because it’s the exact reason I’m upgrading!

Well optimised games are rare, not the norm, and whilst currently it may seem overkill for, in a year or twos time with superior graphical effects and ray tracing, you can bet he’d have wished he’d spent the extra couple hundred quid.

Gavras

Master Poster

You can play content at a higher framerate than that but it leads to screen tearing, input lag and more issues because the screen can't keep up.
You can get some games to run smoothly, however you then have to take mouse and keyboard in to account on the overall feel for the game.

some mice only do 125hz, where as gaming mice (such as my Deathadder) are doing 1000 ha polling.

worst case would be a player with say 3090 a 60hz monitor and non gaming mouse with 125hz (or less) and equally low polling keyboard.

GFarzy

Question for you.

How many times does a 60hz monitor refresh?
Still doesn’t change the fact that your pc will give out more than 60 FPS with v sync off. Yes it will increase the rate of getting screen tearing, but that’s not what OP is asking.

Last edited:

GFarzy

Are you just jumping in to this thread to Troll?

2 posts on the forum, jumping into a random build thread = Trolling in my book.

I never said watching benchmark videos was wrong, I said they were watching the wrong ones.

If Trolling please try to increase your grasp of the English language.

Benchmark videos can show whatever the person making them wants to show.

Not all benchmark videos are realistic and some are just plain wrong.

I fully understand some people believe everything on You tube.
I know exactly what you said, but if OP is watching videos on YouTube from more than 1 channel and not just basing her opinion on 1 video it doesn’t make them “wrong”. Not everyone watches the same videos you do to have the same opinion as you and to feel like they’re watching the “right” videos.

Gavras

Master Poster
Still doesn’t change the fact that your pc will give out more than 60 FPS with v sync off. Yes it increasing the rate of getting screen tearing, but that’s not what OP is asking.
That of course is what everyone wants, spending a chunk of cash on a top end graphics card to have some epic tearing in games.

I know we get loads of threads asking for advice on how to get the best tearing in games, everyone is so in to it at moment.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just to add to what people are saying. You can have a £5000 beast with dual 3090’s in sli outputting 400fps at 1080p... not gonna make any difference if you’ve only got a 60hz monitor, you’re only ever going to see 60fps, doesn’t matter what you do.

the screen needs to match the GPU on a properly specced pc.

for 3x 1080p at 60hz, a 3070 will be more than enough.

Stacey

I appreciate what everyone is saying, but I think I should clarify something, I'm not looking to get 1000fps, I merely want to sustain 60fps, and looking at certain AAA games as Snooze stated, they're not optimised, sometimes unable to reach 60fps on ultra on decent GPU's. I've looked at many different benchmarks on specific games I play, and RDR2 being one of them, on ultra settings (not just very high or high, but instead, every setting individually turned up to maximum) it really struggles with anything less than a 3080, a 3070 has the potential to exceed 60fps, but in certain graphically intense situations I have seen it dips below 60. Cyberpunk being another example.

I wish these games weren't poorly optimised, but they are, and I'm trying to counteract that by getting the 3080 so I'm not spending over 2k on something that is going to dip below 60fps on current games that I'm interested in playing, not to mention games that release in the next couple of years that may be poorly optimised.

If I could save money by getting the 3070 and play these poorly optimised games on true ultra without having to worry, then I would, without a shadow of doubt, but I'm really not confident that's something that can be done after researching.

I appreciate the feedback though, and if the only major issue with the build is the GPU being overkill for the monitor I have, then I'll take that on board.

Yes and currently on some very popular AAA games most cards struggle to maintain 60fps.

With the potential to play across 3 1080p screens, effectively tripling the resolution that struggle will be far more apparent.

I know this because it’s the exact reason I’m upgrading!

Well optimised games are rare, not the norm, and whilst currently it may seem overkill for, in a year or twos time with superior graphical effects and ray tracing, you can bet he’d have wished he’d spent the extra couple hundred quid.
I appreciate what everyone is saying, but I think I should clarify something, I'm not looking to get 1000fps, I merely want to sustain 60fps, and looking at certain AAA games as Snooze stated, they're not optimised, sometimes unable to reach 60fps on ultra on decent GPU's. I've looked at many different benchmarks on specific games I play, and RDR2 being one of them, on ultra settings (not just very high or high, but instead, every setting individually turned up to maximum) it really struggles with anything less than a 3080, a 3070 has the potential to exceed 60fps, but in certain graphically intense situations I have seen it dips below 60. Cyberpunk being another example.

I wish these games weren't poorly optimised, but they are, and I'm trying to counteract that by getting the 3080 so I'm not spending over 2k on something that is going to dip below 60fps on current games that I'm interested in playing, not to mention games that release in the next couple of years that may be poorly optimised.

If I could save money by getting the 3070 and play these poorly optimised games on true ultra without having to worry, then I would, without a shadow of doubt, but I'm really not confident that's something that can be done after researching.

I appreciate the feedback though, and if the only major issue with the build is the GPU being overkill for the monitor I have, then I'll take that on board.
Fair enough so lets put the gpu behind us now :) just please upgrade to silver warrenty :) if there is a issue with the pc in 4 months time which I doubt there will be but this is technology after all then you would be suprised how much a pc costs to deliver so that extra £5 now could save you alot in future :)

Stacey

Fair enough so lets put the gpu behind us now :) just please upgrade to silver warrenty :) if there is a issue with the pc in 4 months time which I doubt there will be but this is technology after all then you would be suprised how much a pc costs to deliver so that extra £5 now could save you alot in future :)
Good thinking, will do, thanks :)

Bigfoot

Grand Master
The ROG Strix board is overkill for the selected CPU. 16 GB is plenty for games apart from a few like flight sims. You could optimise the build, swap to a 3070 and probably have enough money left to buy a decent 1440p 144Hz monitor that will show the best of your games. You might even get the PC sooner, if the 3070 queue is shorter than that for the 3080. @AgentCooper is gaming on an ultrawide 1440p monitor with a 3070.

Stacey

The ROG Strix board is overkill for the selected CPU. 16 GB is plenty for games apart from a few like flight sims. You could optimise the build, swap to a 3070 and probably have enough money left to buy a decent 1440p 144Hz monitor that will show the best of your games. You might even get the PC sooner, if the 3070 queue is shorter than that for the 3080. @AgentCooper is gaming on an ultrawide 1440p monitor with a 3070.
You make a good point. Would you be able to put together an optimised build, potentially including a 32" 1440hz monitor from PCS with the money saved?