Is this overkill for a server? New purchase

itzdaniel483

Hello all,

Decided to bite the bullet and configure the machine below for a new server. I currently use a bunch of Dell R710's with 4TB SAS drives but lately I've noticed they've been a bit slow and sluggish. I run TCADMIN on them and starting, stopping services or even creating services is quite slow. Also the power usage of these old servers is quite high. I'm hoping that this new build will be much more efficient. Mainly for the M.2's I had put in there

Case
ASUS RS100-E10-PI2 1U RACK CHASSIS
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Xeon® 6-Core E-2136 (3.3GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo, 12M Cache)
Motherboard
ASUS® P11C-M/4L (DDR4 RDIMM, Quad LAN)
Memory (RAM)
64GB Kingston DDR4 2666MHz ECC Unbuffered (4 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
ASPEED INTEGRATED GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR (GPU)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
RAID Card
ASUS PIKE II 3008-8i RAID Card
Power Supply
ASUS 250W INTEGRATED POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Asus Passive 1U Heatsink
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Network Card
2 x GIGABIT LAN PORTS (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Remote Management Chip
ASUS ASMB9-IKVM
Rails
Integrated Asus Friction Rail Kit
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello all,

Decided to bite the bullet and configure the machine below for a new server. I currently use a bunch of Dell R710's with 4TB SAS drives but lately I've noticed they've been a bit slow and sluggish. I run TCADMIN on them and starting, stopping services or even creating services is quite slow. Also the power usage of these old servers is quite high. I'm hoping that this new build will be much more efficient. Mainly for the M.2's I had put in there

Case
ASUS RS100-E10-PI2 1U RACK CHASSIS
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Xeon® 6-Core E-2136 (3.3GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo, 12M Cache)
Motherboard
ASUS® P11C-M/4L (DDR4 RDIMM, Quad LAN)
Memory (RAM)
64GB Kingston DDR4 2666MHz ECC Unbuffered (4 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
ASPEED INTEGRATED GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR (GPU)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1st M.2 SSD Drive
RAID Card
ASUS PIKE II 3008-8i RAID Card
Power Supply
ASUS 250W INTEGRATED POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Asus Passive 1U Heatsink
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Network Card
2 x GIGABIT LAN PORTS (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Remote Management Chip
ASUS ASMB9-IKVM
Rails
Integrated Asus Friction Rail Kit
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
So having a look through TCADMIN's requirements, it's not reliant on any particular architecture, with that in mind an Epyc platform is substantially more powerful for around the same cash.

What's your max budget?

itzdaniel483

So having a look through TCADMIN's requirements, it's not reliant on any particular architecture, with that in mind an Epyc platform is substantially more powerful for around the same cash.

What's your max budget?
TCADMIN itself wasn't the worry it was for the more heavy games such as Arma and Space engineers. The quick starting, installation, mods etc.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
TCADMIN itself wasn't the worry it was for the more heavy games such as Arma and Space engineers. The quick starting, installation, mods etc.
What was it that made you choose Intel for those requirements?

That's a very poor CPU even for a desktop configuration, it's only got 6 cores, most desktop CPU's have more than that and operate at far higher frequencies which is more beneficial for any gaming. I'm not sure that's going to be sufficient but all depends on how many TS sessions you're aiming to run concurrently?

Is this a dedicated game server or are you part of a pool?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Actually, the more I read into this, I'm not qualified to give advice on this, I don't really understand the technology or how it prioritises the game loads

I don't know, but wondering if @Scott may know something about this?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Never heard of TCAdmin before now unfortunately. I gather that the server isn't for running the actual games though and is purely for a private exchange allowing install and lobbying?

If that's the case I think there's definitely an argument for Epyc. The key to speed, for the most part, is going to be storage and RAM, which I think you have covered nicely. There are more modern offerings in the M2 department though, that would add more speed again, but you're definitely along the right lines there.

How many servers are you currently running? Are you looking to replace them with a single server or are you just looking for this one as a premium option?

itzdaniel483

Never heard of TCAdmin before now unfortunately. I gather that the server isn't for running the actual games though and is purely for a private exchange allowing install and lobbying?

If that's the case I think there's definitely an argument for Epyc. The key to speed, for the most part, is going to be storage and RAM, which I think you have covered nicely. There are more modern offerings in the M2 department though, that would add more speed again, but you're definitely along the right lines there.

How many servers are you currently running? Are you looking to replace them with a single server or are you just looking for this one as a premium option?
I offer game servers to the public and am currently running Dell PE servers which aren't the best so I thought this would be a nice upgrade, currently its games like MC, FiveM, GMod etc. I could ammend the order to add the I7 or should I keep with the xeon and just try to boost it to its 4.5Ghz. The M.2's probably will be upgraded later

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Do the games run locally on the server? Do people connect via Terminal services or do they install the games on their computers from downloads off your server?

itzdaniel483

Do the games run locally on the server? Do people connect via Terminal services or do they install the games on their computers from downloads off your server?
Yes the game server runs on the machine and they just connect to it. So yeah they download the main game and just join the server

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes the game server runs on the machine and they just connect to it. So yeah they download the main game and just join the server
Ah, in that case it's a very different requirement to actually hosting the gameplay.

Epyc would undoubtedly offer far better performance for similar cash.

That 6 core Xeon is completely redundant even for a desktop user.

What's your max budget? How many concurrent users would normally be connected? And how many servers is this replacing?