Is this spec any good?

Pokkai

I get all your points and respect them. I just think you're going to regret not waiting, Turing wasn't, and isn't, a huge leap over Pascal, yet far more expensive.

Ampere will destroy the first gen RTX boards, all first gen tech is generally weak.

But, today, that's a sweet rig, enjoy!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I get all your points and respect them. I just think you're going to regret not waiting, Turing wasn't, and isn't, a huge leap over Pascal, yet far more expensive.

Ampere will destroy the first gen RTX boards, all first gen tech is generally weak.

But, today, that's a sweet rig, enjoy!

I'm maybe being cynical about your intention here but are you really suggesting the OP should wait until November to purchase a new system because it will be better value for money?

Not to break it to you.... but that's every 6 months of the computing world since 1998 in my experience.

I'm not for one second saying you're wrong by the way. Your point is 100% valid..... but if we waited for the next good thing to happen I would still probably be on an original Pentium or Athlon II.

Pokkai

There is no intention other than offering advice, it's not every six months at all, the card he's buying is 18 months old, Pascal was flagship for the 18 months prior.

AMD will also refresh their CPU's in that time, he's spending £3k on a PC at the end of a cycle.

The 2080 ti wasn't a big boost over the 1080 ti in rastorisation and RT is first gen, it also carried a large premium.

It's still a nice PC and if he's happy, that's all that matters.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
There is no intention other than offering advice, it's not every six months at all, the card he's buying is 18 months old, Pascal was flagship for the 18 months prior.

AMD will also refresh their CPU's in that time, he's spending £3k on a PC at the end of a cycle.

The 2080 ti wasn't a big boost over the 1080 ti in rastorisation and RT is first gen, it also carried a large premium.

It's still a nice PC and if he's happy, that's all that matters.

I cannot agree at all.

I get behind your 2080Ti comment entirely... but that, IMO, is purely down to the lack of competition. Every other iteration has had a refresh and then-some. I agree that in 8 months the next gen will be out...... and similar money... but that's AGES away.

But the RTX aspect is a no-show IMO, it's just the most powerful card. There isn't an option either now.... or relatively soon either

It's a premium... no doubt. Until we hit the point of the next gen being around the corner... what do we do though? Not advise systems?

What's the "best" gaming GPU right now? With a 3k budget? the 2080Ti! Will there be better in November 2020? Probably.... what about May 2021 though.... or November 2021?? Where does it end?

I like to think that I, at least personally, get a reasonable grasp on a users means. I try to do the best I can for each and every individual. I want EVERYONE to have the best gaming system they can for their cash, with the ability of moving on with it. The last consideration in my mind is always the GPU as it's always first to be replaced.

Pokkai

We are derailing the thread, it's ok to disagree, you've offered good advice, all I'm saying is consider what's coming up. Some people would want to wait, others won't.

As I said in all my posts it's still a nice PC.

Vol780

Been reading through the last bits and its all fantastic advise, however, waiting another 6 months is not an option. One option would be to go for the 24Gb card but it's another £1k, which I think is a lot of cash for less than 10-15% of a gain (if I have understood the numbers correctly).

Vol780

Just a quick note to say thanks for all input and advise. I have ordered the system and after some pushing from the wife & daughter went the full hog and opted for the 24Gb card (I know the gain is not huge but it won't just be used for gaming and should last a few years). Will add an LL120 RGB fan from Corsair and possibly at a later stage a further 2x16Gb RAM.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It'll be a beast of a system. If you could feed back your thoughts once you have put it through its paces that would be appreciated :)

Vol780

It'll be a beast of a system. If you could feed back your thoughts once you have put it through its paces that would be appreciated :)

Sure thing!

Also decided to go for that Samsung C49RG90 that you recommended. Seems to be one of the best monitors available...Even fits on the desk!

Now the waiting game is one but do wonder how long time it takes for PCS right now, I've had systems/laptops in 2 days built from scratch although the PC that the new one replaces took 21 days due to parts out of stock?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It varies at the best of time unfortunately. With the goings on over the country it's difficult to predict anything :)

Vol780

Just an update on my order and some news that may be helpful to others too.

Today my build is currently in Pre-production (day 9) and something was telling me that there maybe something wrong so I called PCS. Nothing was wrong per se but we did discover a couple of things that PCS have just themselves found out (configurator now updated) and would have possibly created a delay during build.

1. If you, like me, have chosen the Corsair Obsidian 500D SE case as well as the Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO memory, then the Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler will NOT fit as the memory is too tall (it does however fit with the non-RGB memory).

Solution: went for the Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler instead and all is good. They assured me cooling will still be more than good enough.

2. The configurator doesn't show it for some strange reason, but PCS are able to provide single Corsair LL120 RGB fans for the rear of this case and this has now been added to my order as well.

Again, PCS customer service have shown how professional they are by sorting out little things like this. During our conversation our call was disconnected and within a couple of minutes PCS called me back.

I was also informed that there is a big chance that my build will be started tomorrow sometime so happy days!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just an update on my order and some news that may be helpful to others too.

Today my build is currently in Pre-production (day 9) and something was telling me that there maybe something wrong so I called PCS. Nothing was wrong per se but we did discover a couple of things that PCS have just themselves found out (configurator now updated) and would have possibly created a delay during build.

1. If you, like me, have chosen the Corsair Obsidian 500D SE case as well as the Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO memory, then the Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler will NOT fit as the memory is too tall (it does however fit with the non-RGB memory).

Solution: went for the Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler instead and all is good. They assured me cooling will still be more than good enough.

2. The configurator doesn't show it for some strange reason, but PCS are able to provide single Corsair LL120 RGB fans for the rear of this case and this has now been added to my order as well.

Again, PCS customer service have shown how professional they are by sorting out little things like this. During our conversation our call was disconnected and within a couple of minutes PCS called me back.

I was also informed that there is a big chance that my build will be started tomorrow sometime so happy days!
Thanks for the feedback, that's really helpful.

Just to say that you're on day 7, not 9 as they're business days which is monday - friday and doesn't include bank holidays.

Glad it's progressing though and you were able to avoid those pitfalls.

Hopefully they can update the configurator to reflect those things.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Is this on the 3900X or the 3950X? If it's the 3950X I would have taken the shorter ram over the H100i RGB. With the 3900X it should be OK.

The issue isn't with if it has enough cooling or etc, it's allowing the maximum performance of the chip when under heavy and extended load :)

Vol780

Thanks for the feedback, that's really helpful.

Just to say that you're on day 7, not 9 as they're business days which is monday - friday and doesn't include bank holidays.

Glad it's progressing though and you were able to avoid those pitfalls.

Hopefully they can update the configurator to reflect those things.

The online thing says "9 working days". The actual order was placed on the 6th May, so 13 days ago ;)

When I looked the first time during the conversation, it came as it was ok and then the second time it was showing as non-compatible. Guess it was actually changed while we spoke. The PCS guy rang the production manager on the late shift (they have this too now to keep up with demand) just to confirm it too.

Vol780

Is this on the 3900X or the 3950X? If it's the 3950X I would have taken the shorter ram over the H100i RGB. With the 3900X it should be OK.

The issue isn't with if it has enough cooling or etc, it's allowing the maximum performance of the chip when under heavy and extended load :)

3950X. Tbh I don't think this system will ever reach maximim while in my possession :LOL:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The online thing says "9 working days". The actual order was placed on the 6th May, so 13 days ago ;)

When I looked the first time during the conversation, it came as it was ok and then the second time it was showing as non-compatible. Guess it was actually changed while we spoke. The PCS guy rang the production manager on the late shift (they have this too now to keep up with demand) just to confirm it too.
Apologies, my mistake :) I thought the order was made on the 10th.

Vol780

Should have saved the dosh then :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

It'll be fine and dandy :D

In hindsight, probably! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Btw I've ordered that Samsung C49RG90 you recommended ;) Will probably be a very BIG difference from the Dell 24" we currently use (although its quite ok actually).