Issues connecting to a second monitor on Optimus V (13.3") Windows 8.1.

SGeanie

Hi

Since updating to Windows 8.1, I've been unable to connect my TV to my laptop (via HDMI) to use as a second monitor and have been unable to identify what is at fault.

I'm almost certain that it's not the TV itself, or the cable I am using. Both drivers for my graphics cards (integrated Intel 4600 and dedicated GTX 765M) are up to date. I've also completed a fresh reinstall of the integrated driver to no avail.

The TV does not appear to show up in the Device Manger (under monitors) when it is plugged in. However it will connect to an old laptop running Windows 7.

Does anyone have any further suggestions for anything I could try? The only explanation I currently have is a that the HDMI port is malfunctioning, but I won't be able to send my laptop back to PCS until the summer so I'd like to try other options at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Probably the quickest and easiest test for you to do would be to borrow a mate's HDMI cable and HDMI TV and try to connect to that. At least that will indicate whether your HDMI port works and whether the problem lies on your laptop.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Have done so, with no output on the screen.

Well the only other thing to try, before you suspect the HDMI port itself, is to do a clean reinstall of Windows and the PCS supplied drivers. If it doesn't work then it's most probably the port. You could get hold of Macrium Reflect (the free version) and take an image of your Windows partition before you do the reinstall. As long as you also remember to make a Macrium Reflect boot disk you'll be able to restore your existing system afterwards if that doesn't help.