Issues with new Ultranote (Initia ?)

daveeb

Enthusiast
Another update, I have managed to completely remove the WHEA errors by going to the PCI-express power settings and changing them from "maximum saving" to "off". Mr Google did tell me that there was an option for "maximum performance" rather than "off" but i assume they're the same thing or similar.
If anyone thinks what I've done has unwanted implications I'm unaware of then I'm happy to reverse the setting, but I was getting fed up with event viewer being flooded with many hundreds of this identical error every day. Mrs Daveeb on the other hand couldn't really care as long as the thing seems to work. :rolleyes:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The VEN and DEV numbers you referenced earlier (VEN_8086&DEV_02B0) relate to the chipset driver, which is to be expected since it's for the PCIe bus. All the PCI-Express Link State Power Management settings do is give the hardware permission to sleep the unused PCIe devices (ie. those not transferring data). This is purely a power (battery) saving technique designed to prolong the battery running time of your laptop.

It's not unheard of for there to be issues with these power transitions as we saw in the dump I looked at for you, although there the problem seemed to be with a network adapter - but could just as easily have been the PCIe bus.

Turning PCIe Link State Power Management off just means the PCIe devices are powered all the time. This of course avoids the power transition state issues because they are never put to sleep. The only disadvantage of this is a slightly reduced running time on battery. I've no idea how much it will be reduced but my gut feel is that it's tiny and probably less than can be achieved by turning the screen brightness down.

Your resolution to these error messages is perfectly safe and could even be considered 'normal' practice. It will do no harm to anything - and will even improve the responsiveness of PCIe devices because you'll avoid the time to do the power transition from sleep. Problem sorted really.

BTW. You'll give yourself nightmares if you regularly review the error logs. There are always error on a normally functioning Windows system, 99% of them are recovered normally and cause no noticeable problems. Really the only time you want to be looking in the logs is when you're having issues and want to see what might be causing them. :)

daveeb

Enthusiast
Indeed Ubuysa, you're right about the error logs and the mild paranoia they can induce and I've no intention of going back there any time soon. I only looked at hers after the unexpected reboot then unfortunately the hundreds of errors fuelled my borderline OCD to get rid of them. I did read reports of some people who allegedly got tens of thousands of this exact error which stopped other issues being reported.

Thank you (and Martinr36) for your time and excellent help (y)

Style evo

I had a WHEA warning spamming error code 17, a few times per minute. Turned out to be a faulty network driver. The problem has gone now i have updated the driver. Might be worth reading through the steps taken in my thread relating to this and performing similar steps if you want to troubleshoot it further.

daveeb

Enthusiast
I had a WHEA warning spamming error code 17, a few times per minute. Turned out to be a faulty network driver. The problem has gone now i have updated the driver. Might be worth reading through the steps taken in my thread relating to this and performing similar steps if you want to troubleshoot it further.

Thanks Style Evo, I did look at the drivers for the chipset and also the wireless card driver which were implicated. The former was "up to date" but digging further it is described as needing further installation, so the finger certainly points at that driver. The wireless network card updated with no change in errors. I'll have a look at the network drivers as well. It certainly appears to have been a borked windows update that started everything.