It's a bit warm here today...

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
...and it's forecast to be warmer tomorrow.....

Warm.jpg

loso64

damn, where is that? i got soo used to colder temperatures since i moved to denmark year and half ago. We have nice 17 today

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Raining here as usual... you can just assume it's raining here everyday though and you'd probably be correct 9 times outa 10

Elhan

Bronze Level Poster
damn, where is that? i got soo used to colder temperatures since i moved to denmark year and half ago. We have nice 17 today
Much like bonny Scotland. But I can't complain, I prefer the cooler temperatures most days. Several years in Cyprus and South Africa helped me appreciate it more. :p

MrWilson

Godlike
Been in Carmarthenshire since Sunday and it has yet to rain. Honestly I'm slightly disappointed. But had some lovely views of the valley.

CMP01

Enthusiast
Hover on my avatar. It's Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece. :cool:

Is that 41% score under the 35.2C humidity?

Also, Crete being not a huge island, does that coastal breeze take the edge off in most places?

Just wondering for the sake of potential (if unlikely) holiday ideas. We don't cope well with high heat and humidity too here. The Gambia (two trips, in April and December a decade ago) was great, daytime temps on the coast in the high 30's, with low enough humidity and a sea breeze to stop sweating and stickiness while still getting a great tan quick (nm that dry heat was fantastic for my AS, I had low pain and easy movement there) Even on one road trip inland the humidity was low enough that I barely broke a sweat despite it being over 40C with no breeze, fans or AC.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is that 41% score under the 35.2C humidity?

Also, Crete being not a huge island, does that coastal breeze take the edge off in most places?

Just wondering for the sake of potential (if unlikely) holiday ideas. We don't cope well with high heat and humidity too here. The Gambia (two trips, in April and December a decade ago) was great, daytime temps on the coast in the high 30's, with low enough humidity and a sea breeze to stop sweating and stickiness while still getting a great tan quick (nm that dry heat was fantastic for my AS, I had low pain and easy movement there) Even on one road trip inland the humidity was low enough that I barely broke a sweat despite it being over 40C with no breeze, fans or AC.
Yep, humidity.

Crete is a big island. It's the largest Greek island, the fifth largest in the Mediterranean and the 88th largest in the world!

It's also one of the most southerly places in Greece - and in Europe. (Nisis Gavdos, the small island to the south of Crete is the most southerly place in Europe).

Being an island does keep the temperatures down though. In July and August we get a brisk northerly wind called the Meltemi that really helps to moderate the mid 30's C temperatures we get at that time of the year.

Crete is the perfect place for a holiday - we have everything. We have more beaches than you can count and huge numbers with Blue Flags. Some are long and sandy others are tiny sandy coves.

The north coast has a motorway running most of its length, so this is where the major cities are located and it's where you'll find most of the big resorts. The south coast is more rugged and less developed, this is where you'll find small traditional villages and those little sandy coves.

We have every type of accommodation you can imagine, from €5,000 per night luxury resort hotels, many fully inclusive tourist hotels (if that's your thing), moderately priced small owner-run hotels and down to pensions and rooms, not to mention AirBnB of course.

As well as beaches Crete has six distinct and rugged mountain ranges (three with peaks over 2000m high) high plateaus and numerous gorges. There are also over 3000 caves on Crete, most of the larger ones are open to visitors. If touring is your thing you couldn't see all of Crete in a lifetime.

There is more history here than you can shake a stick at; there are remains of neolithic, Bronze Age, Iron Age, Roman, Venetian and Ottoman settlements, and even remnants from the German occupation in WWII.

We have miles and miles of walking, hiking and cycling trails. You can moutaineer here - about the only thing we don't have is any sizeable skiing tourism - the mountains are just too rugged. If nature and being out in the wilds is what you like to do then Crete is where you need to be. April is the best month if you like flowers and trees, everywhere is carpeted in colour in April from the winter rains and before the summer heat arrives.

Crete is ideal for families with small children, for adventure seeking youngsters who want to travel around, it's perfect for those who want to laze on a beach, or sit in a cafe and watch the world go by. No matter what type of summer holiday you're looking for you'll find it on Crete.

This is Agios Nikolaos, where I live. In fact, at about 10:59 in this video where you see a sailor replace the radio mic - that's me. The shots of the yachts sailing in this segment were filmed from my boat....

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
They said that Saturday would be warmer. They were right.....

Heat.jpg

The aircon hasn't been on that long - we've had a breeze this morning - but it will get it down to the usual 26C in a while. Already it feels like an ice box in here compared to outside. I was out cleaning the external aircon unit earlier, but it was only 37C then...... :cool:

rouchie

Rising Star
We holidayed in Sissi in 2005 and hired a car for the two weeks and absolutely loved the island and the people. It is a huge island and we saw only a small part of it during our stay, but the variety of the mountains, the plateaus, caves and beaches was captivating and I am planning on visiting again once all this covid nonsense is properly behind us. My only regret from that trip was that my camera had something wrong with the settings so when I looked at the pictures back home they were all so dark! example below, so I need to come back and get some better pictures!
DSC00034.JPG

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
They said that Saturday would be warmer. They were right.....

View attachment 27342

The aircon hasn't been on that long - we've had a breeze this morning - but it will get it down to the usual 26C in a while. Already it feels like an ice box in here compared to outside. I was out cleaning the external aircon unit earlier, but it was only 37C then...... :cool:
My god, that’s warm!!!