...it's hard to resist

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
The higher frequency would be beneficial over the lower CAS, in say workloads etc. But as gaming currently doesn’t appear to benefit much above 3200 and i think almost nothing over 3600, the overall latency, which is a formula of cas and frequency, won’t impact performance. 4000mhz CL20, will be outperformed by 3600 CL18 in gaming i believe and with the price difference between 3200 and 3600 on here - even if the performance difference was say 2%, the €50 extra on the gpu would make a much bigger difference.

I must admit, i have not seen GN’s video on it, but was he testing it overall or was it specifically on gaming?
It covered both workload stuff and gaming. It is for previous Gen Ryzen mind you, but still. Here's a grab from their article for gaming results - when you look through it you can see for example that 3600 MHz RAM with CL16 performed better with higher FPS than the same RAM at 3200 and CL14 - depsite the 3200 MHz actually having a slight 'real' clock advantage.

The differences are tiny and totally unnoticable in real life perhaps - and I imagine are different from brand to brand and mofdel to model (EDIT - and game to game of course!) - but they are differences nonetheless.... The workload examples were similar and with similarly small differences.....

1618751727933.png

Ash_

Master Poster
It covered both workload stuff and gaming. It is for previous Gen Ryzen mind you, but still. Here's a grab from their article for gaming results - when you look through it you can see for example that 3600 MHz RAM with CL16 performed better with higher FPS than the same RAM at 3200 and CL14 - depsite the 3200 MHz actually having a slight 'real' clock advantage.

The differences are tiny and totally unnoticable in real life perhaps - and I imagine are different from brand to brand and mofdel to model (EDIT - and game to game of course!) - but they are differences nonetheless.... The workload examples were similar and with similarly small differences.....

View attachment 25087
I’d say that is out of date, purely because of it being zen2, which works ram differently and most are roughly in margin of error. Plus that is only featuring the 3200cl16 that is probably similar to the pcs one.

3200-3600 is the sweetspot and as is CL16-18.

4000CL19 and 3000CL14 just aren’t fast enough in real terms and 3866CL16 is going to literally break the bank 🤣. I might try and clock to that though and test it! 😅

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Currently still looking online. I've seen people in forums say they got from Corsair, but the US... I hope it will be available some time later this year or next. An option would be to buy a new 5000D airflow, take a front panel out and sell it half price without a panel on ebay.
That seems like a total waste of money to me 😂.
I’d really like if you could let me know if you can find it around, I’ll do the same with you if I do :)

Also, the 5000D front panel doesn’t seem compatible, since the 5000D dimensions are: 520mm x 245mm x 520mm while the 5000X: 520mm x 248mm x 520mm

Last edited:

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I’d say that is out of date, purely because of it being zen2, which works ram differently and most are roughly in margin of error.
Maybe so and probably true @Ash_ - although I would put GN in the box of most likely to cover error margins in their utterly OCD setups!

There's so much more involved that speed and timings too however. For example, in another GN article they explain how they had two sticks of identical speed and capacity - but the one with timings of 16-18-18-36 outperformed the one with 14-14-14-34 because of the unusual architecture of the chips on the indivudal sticks.

I personally like the Crucial advice though - all other things being equal - buy the highest speed memory your board and cpu support - then buy the lowest latency at that speed you can afford. (EDIT - unless your an idiot like me and cheap out on RAM so you can fit in something else you don't really need as much - but then that's where OC'ing RAM becomes really useful! :) )

With Ryzen Zen 3 that really means a speed of 3600 MHz or less as F Clocks beyond 1800 don't seem to work well if at all as far as I can tell?

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I looked for this the other day also, i can’t find it. The top panel is also different.
Do you have the 5000X? Would like as well if you could let me know if you find it, would be much appreciated :)

Ash_

Master Poster
Do you have the 5000X? Would like as well if you could let me know if you find it, would be much appreciated :)
No i have a 4000D Airflow, a friend of mine however wants a 5000D airflow but, doesn’t want to buy extra fans 🤣 so 5000X with a new panel seems logical

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
No i have a 4000D Airflow, a friend of mine however wants a 5000D airflow but, doesn’t want to buy extra fans 🤣 so 5000X with a new panel seems logical
We should have to ask directly Corsair in this case, since the 5000D front panel won’t fit for 3mm :(

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks for sharing your thoughts ;) ...well, that was a bit of a unicorn speech o_O😂

My ideal build would be 4000XD (4000X with a front airflow panel, 3 front RGB fans & maybe 1x120mm ML RGB exhaust fan). I'm not 100% sure if H115i Elite Capellix 280mm will fit in the 4000X top so decided to go with 5000X as I don't want an AIO in front - only top. Top top top - nowhere else.

GPU - I'll get a decent one after a few years when I'll get a G7 or equivalent 32' monitor. Just don't want to spend all of my money now, and also hoping by that time GPU's will get cheaper.

And regarding 5000X: I'm thinking out loud if I should change a front panel to the airflow or/and add a rear exhaust ML120 RGB fan? I know I just mentioned above it would be my ideal PC, but just interested in everybody's onion.
Interesting! I think my ideal would be the 4000DX then. A 4000D with the X front panel 😂 Or just the X with LL/ QL fans instead of the ML's. According to Corsairs site, a 280mm will fit in the top of the 4000 Series. And as you're not getting RGB RAM I can't see that being an interfearence.

Good idea with the GPU, if you can avoid buying a 3000 series, it's probably best to wait until prices hopefully settle 😂

With the interchangable parts, they seem impossible to get hold of, the Corsair pages exist for them but there's no price or way to add to cart/ add to a mailing list. Unless you know someone getting 5KD that's happy to do a swap, getting them might be an up-hill struggle. Definetly think adding a rear ML fan would work well, especially with all the other ML's in there.

1618762871275.png

What about QL fans @JUNI0R? 🤣
I didn't realise they existed before, even more RGB? Sounds good to me ;) Although they're even more expensive and PCS don't stock them so adding them could be a pain with the Corsair wire mazes 😂

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I just got confirmation by Corsair that you can mount the 5000D front panel on the 5000X

6E6F41B2-F9C4-4BBD-983B-B89AAE91189D.jpeg

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Cool! Could you now go and ask about 4000D front panel on a 4000X? :) But I think it should be fine. Just the problem is to find place to buy it 🤪
😂 send them a ticket on their site asking if it’s compatible. You should probably order from Corsair US - Amazon US etc

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Cool! Could you now go and ask about 4000D front panel on a 4000X? :) But I think it should be fine. Just the problem is to find place to buy it 🤪
If you scroll down a bit on this Reddit thread Shockism (Corsair staff) says that all the 4000 series panels are interchangable with eachother.

Finding out where you can actually get one from is another story. It seems the US site doesn't actually have any way to purchase them, it might be something you have to contact Corsair about and see what can be done. Or you could sign up to all the email notifications and hope they come into stock at some point 😂

Citrus_9

Expert
Ok, this is my purchase! Thanks everyone - all of you helped me to make the final decision.

Not many changes from the above, just the biggest is that I got rid of an HDD and took a Sata SSD instead. Pricier but makes more sense, I think: will be easier a PC builder to sort out the cables as it will give more space when an HDD cage will be removed, also SSD... it just makes more sense in this budget, and because it won't be purely for archiving the files, but will be a good chunk of document files (some frequently used), music, some odd movie/series, some photos/videos.

Case
Send In Your Own Case - Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB Black
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
2TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB CORSAIR MP400 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 3480 MB/R, 3000 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
2 - 3 DAY DELIVERY TO REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 12 to 15 working days

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Looks a beast.

SSD makes perfect sense when you have the budget to support it. It's a luxury.... but it isn't there at the expense of anything else so it's a fine choice.

Citrus_9

Expert
Hi everyone again... Would you think I should take a Corsair ML, LL, SP or QL 120 rear exhaust case fan for 4000X RGB? I think I want ML 120 RGB, but seems that Amazon have limited options of these now as they sell them by 2 or 3, while I only need one... Overclockers and Scan currently don't ship to Ireland, so I have limited options.

Edit: found ML 120 RGB single on ebay for 40-50 Euro incl. shipping. Seems a bit steep. Would you think I'd be better just a an LL or SP instead?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi everyone again... Would you think I should take a Corsair ML, LL, SP or QL 120 rear exhaust case fan for 4000X RGB? I'm thinking between ML, LL or QL. I think I want ML, but seems that Amazon have limited options of these now... Overclockers and Scan currently don't ship to Ireland, so I have limited options.
I think the ML's are probably the oldest, but literally float on air, so very quiet, but you sacrifice the modern lighting effects as they only have 4 lighting zones so it's large blocks rather than gently merging through colours. I have 2 of them in my system and they are excellent for noise, and still very pretty.

The LL were the replacement to the ML's but AFAIK, they're much better lighting zones with many more individual LED's (16 I believe), but I think they're not magnetic levitation, but I can't find any conclusive listing of what kind of bearing they use. They're still excellent fans.

The QL look like the big daddy of the selection, newest and Hydraulic bearings so should be super quiet as well. I think the difference to the LL is that they have RGB on both sides of the fan. They is pricey though.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
SP's are definitely the lower end - they perfectly fine for what they are - but I think I would weep quietly in a darkened room if one was added to a build such as yours.....
Ah yeah, completely forgot about the SP’s, they’re extreme budget, I would personally avoid.

Ash_

Master Poster
Hopefully the ML elite capellix fans come out and are sold separately because they are incredible. At 1500rpm - they are quieter than ML’s at 1000rpm