I've recently got a new windows 10 PC....Fortnite works fine but no other on line games work

Noodlez

Fortnite works fine. I can log on to Tarkov and see my character but as soon as I try and get into a server on line the game crashes as with COD also. Also I can't log on to my STEAM account. If fornite works it would appear to be a settings issue some where in security. I've tried switching the firewall off completely and this didnt help, I've also gave the games all permissions that I can see but all fails.....any help would be appreciated

Noodlez

Case FRACTAL DEFINE S NANO GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 3 3100 Quad Core CPU (3.6GHz-3.9GHz/18MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX X570-I GAMING (DDR4, USB 3.2, Wi-Fi) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)4GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (1 x 4GB)
Graphics Card8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 580 - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
1st Storage Drive512GB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 450MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 550W CV SERIES™ CV-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingSTANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingGIGABIT LAN PORT + Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi excluded on A320I-K)
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
MonitorSamsung LS24D330HSX/EN 24" LED monitor
Keyboard & MouseCoolerMaster Devastator III Combo Keyboard and Mouse

Noodlez

I know the RAM is not as required from COD and Tarkov but COD plays fine on the PC in campaign mode. The RAM was an over sight on my part. Will the lack on RAM impede getting on line some how. I've just tried running Tarkov from admin and the issue still occurs

steaky360

Its very strange that the games are only crashing when going online - have you tried reinstalling and all the usual culprits? Have you checked the RAM usage during gaming?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Are there any minidumps in C:\Windows\Minidumps or is there a kernel dump in C:\Windows\Memory.dmp? If so, upload them all to the cloud somewhere and post a link here, I'll gladly take a look at them for you.

IMO 4GB of RAM is inadequate regardless of what the games minimum requirements might say. What they can't know is how much RAM Windows (and any other applications) are using. I would double that RAM before looking anywhere else if it were mine.

FerrariVie

Super Star
It very likely is the RAM. I spent some time with 4Gb myself (and I have the same CPU) and some games are totally playable, while others don't even start or show you a warning (low RAM) and have drops to 4 or 5 FPS. It really depends on how much the game relies on RAM.

My tested examples: I was able to play Hitman with 80+ FPS with no problems, GTA V also works fine (even online). However, Forza Horizon 4 shows me warnings about the RAM and it mixes periods of 40+ FPS with 5 FPS. So, unplayable.

I also got a few weird (but expected) issues with fan control resetting itself to default or changing profiles automatically :D. I'm going to create an educational post by Christmas about how is the experience of using 4Gb of RAM in 2020 :)

EDIT: Reading your post better, it seems weird that you can't even login into steam? I could definitely login into mine.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
@fevieira That's the thing though, the OP can start the games, it just crashes when connecting to online servers etc which seems to indicate that RAM is not the issue....unless the games are using more RAM at that point which causes the crashes :unsure:
It could still be RAM. Connecting to anything requires additional RAM to buffer incoming packets etc. It is strange that it crashes though, it should just begin paging RAM to the page file and thus slowdown massively. @Noodlez do you have a paging file set or have you followed some common but dead wrong advice not to use one? If there's no paging file then RAM exhaustion would cause a crash.

I believe in picking the low hanging fruit first, so ensuring there was definitely enough RAM would be my first step, only then would I start looking elsewhere.

FerrariVie

Super Star
It could still be RAM. Connecting to anything requires additional RAM to buffer incoming packets etc. It is strange that it crashes though, it should just begin paging RAM to the page file and thus slowdown massively. @Noodlez do you have a paging file set or have you followed some common but dead wrong advice not to use one? If there's no paging file then RAM exhaustion would cause a crash.

I believe in picking the low hanging fruit first, so ensuring there was definitely enough RAM would be my first step, only then would I start looking elsewhere.
I agree with you. And I confirm that I never had crashes, only games not loading with error messages or extremely low performance in some cases (racing games mostly)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I agree with you. And I confirm that I never had crashes, only games not loading with error messages or extremely low performance in some cases (racing games mostly)
Open Resource Monitor (enter resmon in the Run box) and check the Hard Page Fault number in the Disk section header. If that is consistently more than about 10 then you're short of RAM.

Last edited:

FerrariVie

Super Star
Opem Resource Monitor (enter resmon in the Run box) and check the Hard Page Fault number in the Disk section header. If that is consistently more than about 10 then you're short of RAM.
Thanks, now with 16Gb I have only 3 faults with windows defender, but will keep that in mind next time I want to test 4Gbs again :p